Wiki Posts
Search

Lifemiles sales bonus anytime soon?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Lifemiles sales bonus anytime soon?

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a trip this summer from Central to South America, so I'm hoping to use some Avianca flights to save some travel time.
I don't want to sound like asking someone to use the wizard globe, but I'm new to Lifemiles and I missed the Christmas sale by 1 day. Since Amex UK holders can't transfer their MR points to Lifemiles, my only option seems to be buying points.
At the current i wouldn't save anything, so hoping for another sale soon.

I'm curious whether there is a pattern of when the bonus sales are usually launched or any alternative ideas. There are some Latam options which i can book using Avios, but with Latam leaving Oneworld soon, they might be at risk.

Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Giboning
Hi everyone,
I'm planning a trip this summer from Central to South America, so I'm hoping to use some Avianca flights to save some travel time.
I don't want to sound like asking someone to use the wizard globe, but I'm new to Lifemiles and I missed the Christmas sale by 1 day. Since Amex UK holders can't transfer their MR points to Lifemiles, my only option seems to be buying points.
At the current i wouldn't save anything, so hoping for another sale soon.

I'm curious whether there is a pattern of when the bonus sales are usually launched or any alternative ideas. There are some Latam options which i can book using Avios, but with Latam leaving Oneworld soon, they might be at risk.

Thank you.
Magic 8 Ball to the rescue. Moving target. Personally I am hoping for another Lifemiles / Rocketmiles 4X promotion. The flights to and form are booked but now I need to book the hotel. Club LifeMiles and the credit cards are good options for long term. Regardless, is the goal economy class flights or business class flights?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Magic 8 Ball to the rescue. Moving target. Personally I am hoping for another Lifemiles / Rocketmiles 4X promotion. The flights to and form are booked but now I need to book the hotel. Club LifeMiles and the credit cards are good options for long term. Regardless, is the goal economy class flights or business class flights?
Economy will do fine as i'm looking for short flights, Flores to Guatemala, San Salvador to Managua for example. $150 each flight is quite steep.
I couldn't find any UK credit cards points which can be transferred to Life Miles.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Economy will do fine as i'm looking for short flights, Flores to Guatemala, San Salvador to Managua for example. $150 each flight is quite steep.
I couldn't find any UK credit cards points which can be transferred to Life Miles.
FRS to GUA is 15,000 miles + US $7.61. LifeMiles cannot be acquired for less than 1.35 cents per mile. The noted itinerary would cost you in excess of US $200 paid via miles or $142 paid via cash. The math doesn't work.

Airline miles are the better value for business class, not economy class; with few exceptions. The flight is only 1 hour so the class of service isn't a factor one way or another. Houston to Taipei is a 16 hour flight; class of service is factor as 16 hour in economy is hell.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
there is a pattern. If you google "lifemiles points sale boardingarea", you will get several blogs outlining the past sales and the rates sold.
There is usually a valentine day sale, so expect a new sale next week.
If you don't have a LM account, create one now. Most sales exclude LM accounts that are created after the sale starts.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
there is a pattern. If you google "lifemiles points sale boardingarea", you will get several blogs outlining the past sales and the rates sold.
There is usually a valentine day sale, so expect a new sale next week.
If you don't have a LM account, create one now. Most sales exclude LM accounts that are created after the sale starts.
Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't see any news about sale in February/March time last year as most archives I've seen were sales in November/December 2017, 2018 and 2019.
But I'll keep an eye to LM website and blogs related to Avianca.
I already have tte LM account.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't see any news about sale in February/March time last year as most archives I've seen were sales in November/December 2017, 2018 and 2019.
But I'll keep an eye to LM website and blogs related to Avianca.
I already have tte LM account.
So why are you caring? It's already been pointed out in post four that you're going to pay more for the miles and award fees than you would for the cash ticket. What possible reason would you have for paying more than the actual cash cost of a ticket? You want to make a cash donation to Avianca out of gratitude for their program?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So why are you caring? It's already been pointed out in post four that you're going to pay more for the miles and award fees than you would for the cash ticket. What possible reason would you have for paying more than the actual cash cost of a ticket? You want to make a cash donation to Avianca out of gratitude for their program?
At their current rate of $33/1000pts, yeah, it's cheaper to buy cash.
The flights i'm interested in are Flores to Guatemala, Roatan to Managua, Bogota to Quito, Quito to Lima and Lima to Sao Paolo. They are all served by Avianca. Except Flores to Guatemala (aprox 130 USD), all of them are more than $250 each.
But it would save me considerable money buying them on points at 1.3pence/mile. For two of us, it would be around 50-100USD/segment. Private shuttles are not that cheap as well, so the time saving would be worth the extra money.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
FRS to GUA is 15,000 miles + US $7.61. LifeMiles cannot be acquired for less than 1.35 cents per mile. The noted itinerary would cost you in excess of US $200 paid via miles or $142 paid via cash. The math doesn't work.

Airline miles are the better value for business class, not economy class; with few exceptions. The flight is only 1 hour so the class of service isn't a factor one way or another. Houston to Taipei is a 16 hour flight; class of service is factor as 16 hour in economy is hell.
Price was 4000 miles + US $7.61 late December when i discovered Life Miles
For 15k miles, you're right. Doesn't work
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Back to the OP's question. Here's a history of offers. There wasn't one in January 2019 either - https://www.pointhacks.com.au/avianc...g-miles-guide/
cajunguy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Looking further into Life Miles and the associated credit card. Does anyone know if you have to have the Avancia credit card to buy the Life Miles when they go on sale?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Just received an email from Lifemiles, sales bonus started. February 11 to 27. Different bonus offered: 1,000 10,000 100% 11,000 50,000 105% 51,000 100,000 115% 101,000 200,000 125%

Fingers crossed i'll save some money on some routes.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:01 pm

Just received an email from Lifemiles, sales bonus started. February 11 to 27. Different bonus offered: 1,000 10,000 100% 11,000 50,000 105% 51,000 100,000 115% 101,000 200,000 125%

Fingers crossed i'll save some money on some routes.
AND

https://onemileatatime.com/omaat-lifemiles-promo/
Giboning likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

My experience with Lifemiles: couldn't buy any miles or redeem points using Chrome browser. It's always showing post code field in red, so you can't pay anything.
Managed to buy miles and redeem for flights using Edge browser, choose Romania as a country, Bucharest as city and leave the post code field empty. Your credit card payment will go ahead, so postcode field is for nothing.
747_Brat likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Looking further into Life Miles and the associated credit card. Does anyone know if you have to have the Avancia credit card to buy the Life Miles when they go on sale?
No, you don't need the life miles credit card, you can use any card you want.
Sale just went on until 27 of feb. Use the link above to get extra bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.