Award ticket change at the airport?

Old Feb 1, 20, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Award ticket change at the airport?

Dear all,

Not sure if anyone has had this experience.

I have a ticket (PVG - ICN - SYD) in J, which was booked via Lifemiles for OZ.
I wanted to cancel the first leg and keep the second due to what is happening in China, but Lifemiles only offers cancellation of the whole route.

I tried with my wife's ticket and checked the website every minute, but the cancelled ticket has never come back to their inventory.

Now, I am wondering if I can just go to the ICN airport before the initial boarding time at PVG, and talk with OZ to amend the schedule so that the whole ticket is not cancelled due to the no show at PVG.
(I believe it is operating carrier's responsibility once I am at the airport, isn't it?)

Is it too risky or is anyone had this experience?

Thanks for all!

Last edited by Chris Han; Feb 1, 20 at 5:36 pm
Old Feb 1, 20, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA
How soon are you traveling? If not in the next day or two, maybe OZ will join the chorus and cancel all flights to/from China and your issue will be taken care of.
Old Feb 1, 20, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
How soon are you traveling? If not in the next day or two, maybe OZ will join the chorus and cancel all flights to/from China and your issue will be taken care of.
Yes, true. The flight is in Mar 20 and the connection at ICN is on the same day.

OZ has reduced PVG flight from 4 to 3 daily. Hopefully OZ cancels all routes to China like some others, which would solve the issue.
Old Feb 1, 20, 6:02 pm

Having a similar problem: Booked an award with a cnx through China. Flights are officially cancelled.
Called Lifemiles asking to be re-routed around China, but they said they can offer a cancellation + refund (because LM rebookings apparently don't allow change of routing, only change of date), which would make it hard to find new award space. Is it possible to be rebooked and rerouted on a different *A airline, even if no award space is available? Is it better to sort this out at the airport, when the operating airline has to get me to my destination?
Old Feb 1, 20, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by regiobaden View Post
Having a similar problem: Booked an award with a cnx through China. Flights are officially cancelled.
Called Lifemiles asking to be re-routed around China, but they said they can offer a cancellation + refund (because LM rebookings apparently don't allow change of routing, only change of date), which would make it hard to find new award space. Is it possible to be rebooked and rerouted on a different *A airline, even if no award space is available? Is it better to sort this out at the airport, when the operating airline has to get me to my destination?
I sent an email to Lifemiles if they can cancel the whole route and then book the 2nd leg (ICN-SYD) at the same time, but I doubt they will do this. I will update it here.
In my experience, Lifemiles staff will not be able to book an award seat unless we can see the availability on their website, but not 100% sure.
Old Feb 1, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by regiobaden View Post
Rhetorical, but assume nothing. The airline is under no obligation to end the trip if you do not start the trip. And that is why the first airline is thorough with confirming the itinerary and the immigration requirements. On more than one occasion I have arrived at the airport for award travel 3 hour prior to departure and spend the first hour on the phone with the booking airline to address issues with the itinerary. The first airline will not allow you to check in until the issues are addressed. The options are endless after the trip is started; but only after the trip is started. If any part of the itinerary is cancelled you will not be allowed to check in and the airline will tell you to call the booking airline (Lifemiles). The agents cannot help regardless as the airport staff don't deal in award travel.
Old Feb 1, 20, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Chris Han View Post
Dear all,

Not sure if anyone has had this experience.

I have a ticket (PVG - ICN - SYD) in J, which was booked via Lifemiles for OZ.
I wanted to cancel the first leg and keep the second due to what is happening in China, but Lifemiles only offers cancellation of the whole route.

I tried with my wife's ticket and checked the website every minute, but the cancelled ticket has never come back to their inventory.

Now, I am wondering if I can just go to the ICN airport before the initial boarding time at PVG, and talk with OZ to amend the schedule so that the whole ticket is not cancelled due to the no show at PVG.
(I believe it is operating carrier's responsibility once I am at the airport, isn't it?)

Is it too risky or is anyone had this experience?

Thanks for all!
The operating airline is under no obligation until after you check in. The operating airline wont allow you to check in if the itinerary isn't correct of if the immigration paperwork isn't correct. Until you check in the responsibility is yours and yours alone. No clue why Lifemiles isn't cancelling the itinerary altogether after one segment is cancelled as the itinerary isn't correct. As an example, if flights changes result in an arrival at the airport for a connect after the departure of the connecting flight. A 3 hour connection turns into a negative 1 hour connection. The booking engines cease to function after the ticket is booked and changes aren't vetted for legal connections and the like.
Old Feb 2, 20, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room View Post
The operating airline is under no obligation until after you check in. The operating airline wont allow you to check in if the itinerary isn't correct of if the immigration paperwork isn't correct. Until you check in the responsibility is yours and yours alone. No clue why Lifemiles isn't cancelling the itinerary altogether after one segment is cancelled as the itinerary isn't correct. As an example, if flights changes result in an arrival at the airport for a connect after the departure of the connecting flight. A 3 hour connection turns into a negative 1 hour connection. The booking engines cease to function after the ticket is booked and changes aren't vetted for legal connections and the like.
I see... It means I'll need to find another award space unless Lifemiles is able to cancel the whole route and then book the 2nd leg as a standalone booking.
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:37 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
For flights in March, wait and see what will happen during the next days.

As stated above, showing up at ICN for an itinerary that starts in PVG is bound to fail. The check-in staff will refer you to contact Lifemiles to change the ticket/have the first leg removed.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Chris Han View Post
Yes, true. The flight is in Mar 20 and the connection at ICN is on the same day.
OZ has reduced PVG flight from 4 to 3 daily. Hopefully OZ cancels all routes to China like some others, which would solve the issue.
March 20th is still too far away to tell for airline travel advisories and what not. LM will not touch the ticket to update/change for free, and any routing changes (including change of origin as you ask) require a cancel (with fees) and a totally new award booking.
So, LM will not help you here, without any specific airline cancel/advisories.
If it is just your personal risk tolerance, then it is unfortunately up to you to find alternative award space or cash ticket out of Seoul.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: