Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Skipping last leg + booking flight on alt carrier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Hi all - I’m trying to book VLC - ORD with a final destination of DTW (to be booked separately). All of a sudden, VLC - ORD is no longer available, but I can get the original stops to show up if I make my final destination MKE. My plan was to book a separate flight in cash (outside of lifemiles) from ORD to DTW.... if I skip the last leg from ORD - MKE, are there any airport regs that would prevent me from getting on a separate flight to from ORD to DTW? I’m booking this all as a one way, so there’s no concern that my return flight will be canceled. I know this isn’t something to make a habit of, but I’ve never done so before!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Shouldn't be a problem, since you will have to clear customs and pick up any checked luggage at ORD.

I suppose you might want to consider using a different airline for the ORD-DTW, to make 100% sure that nobody will know about your double booking. But even if it's the same airline it shouldn't matter much.

The only issue, highly unlikely, is that you run into IRROPs and your airline tries to reroute you to MKE without passing through ORD.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Shouldn't be a problem, since you will have to clear customs and pick up any checked luggage at ORD.

I suppose you might want to consider using a different airline for the ORD-DTW, to make 100% sure that nobody will know about your double booking. But even if it's the same airline it shouldn't matter much.

The only issue, highly unlikely, is that you run into IRROPs and your airline tries to reroute you to MKE without passing through ORD.
thanks - appreciate it! Yeah I was definitely going to go with a different carrier (and even loyalty group) to be absolutely sure. Is it possible to check luggage to the second leg? Eg could I check a bag to Chicago (leg 2) rather than Milwaukee (the official destination, which I would skip). Probably needlessly risky and I can prob live with carryon, but just curious...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Caroline Scott
thanks - appreciate it! Yeah I was definitely going to go with a different carrier (and even loyalty group) to be absolutely sure. Is it possible to check luggage to the second leg? Eg could I check a bag to Chicago (leg 2) rather than Milwaukee (the official destination, which I would skip). Probably needlessly risky and I can prob live with carryon, but just curious...
You cannot check luggage only to ORD, however in practice everybody needs to pick up their bags at the first port of entry to the USA, pass through customs, and then hand the bags back to ground staff landside. So obviously you could just skip that last step, take off the luggage tag and simply check-in for your flight to DTW.
Tokyoite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.