Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Buying Lifemiles for future unidentified travel..???

Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA

Hi All,

I got a targeted email to buy lifemiles with up to a 150% bonus, if i purchase by Oct 2 (tomorrow).

Currently in Europe and contemplating purchasing enough miles for a OW biz class ticket to the US, instead of using up my limited United miles. Total price would be $924 for 64,000 Lifemiles, which to me seems like a decent deal for a OW biz class tix.

I dont have an exact return departure date or city yet. So i would be buying in advance for use sometime in the near future (Oct/Nov) on a Star Aliance partner.

Another option I am thinking is to buy 60% of the miles now at $561, and then doing a miles+purchase ticket for the 40% balance once I knkw my itinerary. I am not sure the rate they charge for points in this situation though. And I am not sure if its possible to do a miles+pay ticket if I bought the initial miles to begin with.

Thanks so much in advance. Any advice is appreciated.

Blasky

Last edited by blasky; Oct 1, 2019 at 5:55 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
what is the question? Nothing in your statement asks the question you have in mind.

If you are asking whether it makes financial sense to buy 100% of your required miles now at 150% bonus rate, versus only 60% of your required miles now at 150% bonus rate, I suggest you do two things:
1. Either a calculator or spreadsheet to calculate the cost difference.
2. Judge your own financial risk threshold/comfort level (having the 40% miles in cash in hand versus locked in miles purchased). If you are financially comfortable with it, I suggest you buy in. If not, then I suggest you only buy the 60%. Only you would know your own financial risk threshold/comfort level
*I am perfectly Ok having 24,000 extra Lifemiles in my account by spending the $363. You may not be so.

Remember, 150% bonus rate is the very best it has historically ever been.
(there was this one time there was a short lived 200% bonus 4 or 5 years ago, but that was a unicorn that has never been offered again.)
There will likely be another bounus offer (Black Friday sale) in late November.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:26 pm

Also calculate the ticketing fee and taxes, etc. in the total - sometimes buying one-way biz (e.g. P fare on United) with a return in the cheapest economy can be nearly as cheap. It also depends on where you are flying from - availability varies quite a bit depending on dept. city. If flexible with date it could make sense.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for.the replies. Yes, im.wondering if it makes sense, and if so, which route to go... buying all upfront or buying a portion and waiting tonsee on availability.

Good call on the taxes too. Ill make sure i dont get hammered. I am totally flexible in my schedule and i think late Oct /early.Nov should not be too bad to try to get a ticket back on Star Aliance. Ive tried with OneWorld before and you get killed with taxes going through London on BA.

I think ill risk it. If not, ill jjlust have some LM at a pretty fair price in the bank.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
I bought miles only to find that I cannot use them for the purpose I intended, which is Business Class to just about anywhere!
It's very frustrating.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Ive had decent luck, but just depends on routing and time of year. Both my biz class seats were transatlantic and in the off season. I had to go on the "less popular" carriers but it worked. Just requires some persistence and patience. If not, you can use on economy. I found plenty of options there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.