Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Which airlines can I book LifeMiles for Biz award travel

Old Sep 10, 19, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

Using LifeMiles with Avianca and trying to score international business award tickets on flights operated by other airlines.
Am I limited to Avianca operated flights only?
Can I book with any airline operated flight that is listed as Avianca's partner (e.g. ANA, Singapore, United, EVA, Air Canada, etc.)?
Other advice or things I should be aware of?
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
yes. clearly noted on website here.
https://www.lifemiles.com/fly/find

mods...move this to the big LM newbie thread?
Old Dec 19, 19, 6:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Good luck finding Business Class flights. My experience is that they are almost non-existent for Lifemiles usage.
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
To the OP, please take time to study WHAT Lifemiles Program is, and what you can redeem or not.
There are hundreds of blog posts out there with the detailed breakdown of Lifemiles.

Essentially, you can book ALL 27 star alliance member airlines, as long as award space is available on the routes and dates you look for.
Lifemiles does not control award space availability on the routes and dates you may want.
Welcome to LM.
Really hope you did not buy Lifemiles without doing the research!
Old Jan 29, 20, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi View Post
Good luck finding Business Class flights. My experience is that they are almost non-existent for Lifemiles usage.
Just would like to find out if that is still true. I am relatively new to the program. But when I looked into availability in the past ( without having miles on hand ) I always found inventory. Now that I have the miles and want to put them to use I find nothing. Looking mainly for flights inside Asia and to/fm N.A. and Europe, which is quite disappointing. I am looking primarily for oneway redemptions. Could that be the problem?
Old Jan 29, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Just would like to find out if that is still true. I am relatively new to the program. But when I looked into availability in the past ( without having miles on hand ) I always found inventory. Now that I have the miles and want to put them to use I find nothing. Looking mainly for flights inside Asia and to/fm N.A. and Europe, which is quite disappointing. I am looking primarily for oneway redemptions. Could that be the problem?
Return redemptions are just two one-way redemptions in a single PNR. If it's Asia-based airlines then here's my take on Biz redemptions per the 6 or 7 major Asia-based airlines
  1. SQ - forget it; Biz inventory by-and-large is retained by SQ for its own KF members. Very, very occasionally you might strike it lucky
  2. TG - recent policy (last 6 months or so) is to release Biz seats mostly in the last 10 days or so before the flight. Occasionally you'll strike it lucky. I have seen TG inventory in Biz out of the more obscure European ports like Brussels, but very very rarely out of London, Paris or Rome
  3. ANA - again a supposedly stingy award-space giver for LifeMiles; I have very occasionally seen flights TOKYO-SYDNEY
  4. Air India - I have seen Biz flights more often than some other airlines but there's some question around the actual Biz product
  5. Air China (Communist China) - seems to offer a reasonable amount of Biz space on, say, United's MileagePlus programme but I've never really checked LifeMiles for it
  6. China Air (Democratic China) - I see some occasionally
  7. Eva Air - never see any
Others may have a different perspective. As I'm now retired I'm often quite happy to make my travel plans close to last-minute based on LifeMiles availability
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:04 pm

Programs: Lifemiles Avianca
I was buying TK business with Lifemiles.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
China Air (Democratic China) - I see some occasionally
China Airlines? A SkyTeam member and not a partner of LM.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi View Post
I find lots of availability when I look months in advance. I’ve booked 2x BR J US-Asia in November for this spring, and 1x Asia-US with SQ/BR in August. Usually 3-4 different choices many weeks.

I only book one way awards. Flying to the west coast, LAX and SEA seem to often have awards.
Old Jan 29, 20, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
As with life, you get out of it what you put into it. I booked a flight to Bali in March on EVA and now I need to book a flight from Bali in March. United has options with 12 hour layovers in Houston but LifeMiles does not. LifeMiles limits domestic layover to 4 hours. An email with a bunch of screen shots might fix the issue. Ultimately I will search and search and might end up using AA miles to book Cathay Pacific home for 70K. I don't like to use AA miles due to the difficulty to acquire AA miles. I don't have much of an issue acquiring LifeMiles miles.
Old Jan 29, 20, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room View Post
As with life, you get out of it what you put into it. I booked a flight to Bali in March on EVA and now I need to book a flight from Bali in March. United has options with 12 hour layovers in Houston but LifeMiles does not. LifeMiles limits domestic layover to 4 hours. An email with a bunch of screen shots might fix the issue. Ultimately I will search and search and might end up using AA miles to book Cathay Pacific home for 70K. I don't like to use AA miles due to the difficulty to acquire AA miles. I don't have much of an issue acquiring LifeMiles miles.
Well some award programs create obstacles. I can hardly ever find a Lifemiles award to my actual city. I compromise, by booking to the most convenient big city nearby. Not a perfect solution, but close enough.
Old Jan 30, 20, 1:26 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba View Post
China Airlines? A SkyTeam member and not a partner of LM.
Yes, I should have said the one with the pink pansy logo - but I see now I was thinking of Eva where there are, occasionally, seats available between Brisbane & Taipei
Old Jan 30, 20, 7:18 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
I was thinking of Eva where there are, occasionally, seats available between Brisbane & Taipei
BR flights between TPE-BNE & BKK-LHR are reliably available in J at T-14 days...that has always been the case.

Whenever I have checked, transpac J availability on BR has been pretty good.
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:37 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Eva Air - never see any
I've seen them and booked them, both intra-Asia and trans-Pacific. Similar availability as to other *A partners, in my experience.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: