Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles downgraded by credit rating company Moody-sounds like they are in trouble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifemiles downgraded by credit rating company Moody-sounds like they are in trouble

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, when flying is permissible again and assuming there is availability I'm pretty sure there will be a run on LM tickets though whether they get honored or not will have to be seen. Until then, we can only hope and wait I would say. I got a ticket booked for Oct on SQ (Japan - SE Asia) via LM and enough miles in my account for a RT to Europe which I was planning, but alas that is not forthcoming. The miles may go up in "smokes", not great of course, but I'm sticking to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised if i can burn them. YMMV.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cliburn
You have linked to a press release issued by LifeMiles LLC ! What would you expect it to say.

The problem LM faces, as would any separate program is that it makes money by selling miles to its primary carrier. As that carrier is now bust, it's source of revenue has just dropped. How long can it survive without revenue?

In different circumstances, someone would buy LM and offer miles holders a lifeline. But, I'm not sure who has cash to throw around and needs (or wants) to purchase customer goodwill when it can't sell tickets for cash effectively.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:29 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by Often1
The problem LM faces, as would any separate program is that it makes money by selling miles to its primary carrier. As that carrier is now bust, it's source of revenue has just dropped. How long can it survive without revenue?
I dont know the particulars of Lifemiles, but nowadays it is more usual, for most mileage programs, to be 80% of their revenue to be due to banks and merchants and only 20% to flights
Old May 11, 2020, 2:58 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The LifeMiles bankruptcy FAQ says:

Members will continue to earn miles on Avianca flights as well as redeem LifeMiles for Avianca tickets as normal. Avianca expects tickets redeemed with miles will continue to be exempt from change penalty fees until October 2020.

Does this mean I can cancel a July 2020 LM award ticket I have on NH metal without a penalty?
Old May 11, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NPF
I dont know the particulars of Lifemiles, but nowadays it is more usual, for most mileage programs, to be 80% of their revenue to be due to banks and merchants and only 20% to flights
What bank or third party would want to pay cash for miles which are to be redeemed on Avianca? While there are certainly other uses for those miles, the core use is to fly on Avianca.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

Originally Posted by NPF
Nearly 50% of LifeMiles' revenue comes from credit cards. Only 27% comes from Avianca.

As long as airlines are grounded, LifeMiles will continue getting revenue from the banks, nothing from the airlines, BUT will also be spending nothing on reward flights.

Even when Aeroplan was going to lose the Air Canada link, people still used their Aeroplan credit cards as normal. The general population is not as obsessed about their credit card miles as FTers.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by nnn
The LifeMiles bankruptcy FAQ says: Does this mean I can cancel a July 2020 LM award ticket I have on NH metal without a penalty?
Nope. Flights on Avianca booked using Lifemiles are being referred to there. Nothing about tickets entirely on other star alliance partner flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.