Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

EZE-BOG-LAX, is a one hour ten minute layever in BOG enough to change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

i did this route once, and as I recall, trying to connect was hectic and I remember a really hard bag search at some point

Is 70 minutes enough time for a connection
Old May 11, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by caseminole
i did this route once, and as I recall, trying to connect was hectic and I remember a really hard bag search at some point

I would say it is enough time to transfer provided your flight arrives on time (which isn't Avianca's strong suit). It's a gamble.. is there a later LAX flight you could be rebooked on should you miss the first flight? Would you be ok with spending a day (and night) in Bogota if there isn't? I'd estimate 20% of my AV flights are delayed more than 45 minutes so odds are that you wouldn't have an issue but I find it always pays to have a backup plan when flying them
Old May 11, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole

I passed through BOG twice this year, including flying in once from EZE on AV. The EZE-BOG excess block time seems enough to cover the typical delays/ they make up for it in the air. I'm a fast walker so I find BOG small, but if you're not then yeah I guess the risk is there. Wouldn't worry about it though.
caseminole likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by CedarSwampThing
I would say it is enough time to transfer provided your flight arrives on time (which isn't Avianca's strong suit). It's a gamble.. is there a later LAX flight you could be rebooked on should you miss the first flight? Would you be ok with spending a day (and night) in Bogota if there isn't? I'd estimate 20% of my AV flights are delayed more than 45 minutes so odds are that you wouldn't have an issue but I find it always pays to have a backup plan when flying them
EZE-BOG has 2 non-stops daily, and BOG-LAX is only a single flight option.

I think its better to book the option where I have a 7 hour layover instead of 1.

Those are really the only two choices, and better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks and great advice!
Old May 11, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
The biggest problem in my experience with BOG is not the delays taking off or enroute, it's the landing piece. In fact I've found the GYE-BOG, GYE-CLO segment to ALWAYS leave on time. Amazing really... As a whole despite the rest of life in Central and South America the planes run ontime. COPA, TACA(when it existed), LATAM (unless delayed because of security AT JFK but that's not the airlines fault), AVIANCA and AeroMexico. Knock on wood I think I'm close to batting .1000 with all of them... 40 + flights. (small sample sure) Sure when things go wrong they really go wrong there is almost never an easy replacement aircraft of sorts but I have been far more pleased with their OTP than United or especially American.

I do though come to expect to have to wait 45-75 minutes once on the ground in BOG for a ramp spot to open up (not even a gate) to then offload onto the good ole shuttle bus ride to the terminal which is another solid 15 minutes...I know one of the EZE planes is operated by a 319 so I'm sure that's a ramp trip for you, the 330 you would think gets a gate to avoid this... That's what I would look at, type of aircraft your on...

I Usually have 2 hours- 2 hours 20 minutes to connect at BOG and I've never made it to the lounge... And I always fly in J. So I'm first off doesn't matter with the shuttle bus.. The one time I had time someone in my party forgot their passport on the plane and there was all sorts of commotion and time lost which almost resulted in us missing the JFK bound flight.

Last edited by theboss7593; May 11, 2019 at 11:02 am
Old May 12, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Batting .1000 is only 10% on time if you're using a baseball analogy. Batting 1.000 is a perfect record. Ty Cobb was lifetime .366 and also had a few seasons over .400.

But I agree on CA flights on Copa, Avianca and TACA/LACSA before them. I think Copa is 92% on time on the routes I fly with them. I also think Copa and TACA pad their schedules to help with their stats. Plus in CA they stuff and go and often leave early if fully loaded while AA seems to find a million reasons to faff about even when they are loaded ahead of departure time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.