Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Interline checked bags Avianca-United on separate ticket?

Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked but I could not find a thread. Will Avianca check bags through to United on a separate ticket? Due to a variety of reasons, I'm looking at purchasing an Avianca ticket UIO-LIM, and then a separate United ticket from LIM to the US. I'd have 2-3 hours in Lima and would ideally not want to have to reclaim the bags to ensure I have plenty of time to transit to the connecting flight.

I know United permits this the other direction (i.e. going US-Lima, separate AV ticket LIM-final destination) but not sure if Avianca would allow this being the first segment. If it matters, I am United 1K/star gold.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Is there a particular reason you want to go UIO-LIM, LIM-US? (where in the US are you going?) I'm guessing for earnings PDQ?

AV offers great deals on flights out of UIO with a stop in BOG to the US. I fly in J only a semi-annual basis from UIO (or GYE)-BOG-JFK for $400ish and still earn UA miles... And nothing coming out of South America beats AV's A330 J product on the BOG-JFK route. LATAM is ok I haven't flown their 787 but their 767 is not good (seats are very uncomfortable) and COPA doesn't have lie-flats (at least not in a constant rotation).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
To answer your question, the answer is no. AVA is barely even good at their own systems, if your 2nd sector is with United they won't interline it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Redwood839
To answer your question, the answer is no. AVA is barely even good at their own systems, if your 2nd sector is with United they won't interline it.
It is not a second sector. UA is the first sector of a completely separate ticket.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It is not a second sector. UA is the first sector of a completely separate ticket.
Doesn't matter, point is they won't interline.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

No Avianca will not do this. They changed their policy about a year ago... You will have to pick up bags in LIMA and recheck on UA.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a similar question although mine is domestic to Intl.
AV GPS-UIO / UA UIO - IAH

Will I be able to check my bag through at GPS?
My layover is too short for a day room but long enough to be a PITA.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I had CUZ-LIM and LIM-PTY booked on separate tickets on AV and CM. CUZ agent refused to thru check bags.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Based on reports above since my initial question, sounds like this is no longer a possibility (I ended up not taking the original itinerary I was proposing).

Similar question but any better chance of AV doing this if I am on a domestic flight in CO (SMR-BOG) connecting to a UA int'l flight on a separate ticket? Thankfully have plenty of time in BOG but again would like to avoid the hassle if possible.

Last edited by CruiserCLE; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.