Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Lifemiles site

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
iPhone App

I can now log into the iPhone App. There's one word that sums it up; it starts with "cluster" and you can guess the remaining four letters
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:23 pm

So I've been successful in having a 3rd screenshot request ticketed (after the first two rejected for reasons unknown)

However it appears the miles and money process has become far more expensive. Will be very interesting if BuyMiles promos change as well

As it currently stands I'm going to let the booking lapse and book it via Oneworl another way
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I was still getting the .015 cents for the miles+pay. What were they offering you? Sometimes when doing screenshots LM doesn’t always select the sweet spot, which can make it an expensive proposition. Usually means I have to specify the exact miles to be used.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:06 pm

I have an Australia to UK booking

Which should be 92500 miles

However they were telling me it was only 85000 miles

Which meant i needed to buy about 30000 (750usd)

This was more costly than buying the 40000 2 weeks before (About 600usd)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baggyred
I have an Australia to UK booking

Which should be 92500 miles

However they were telling me it was only 85000 miles

Which meant i needed to buy about 30000 (750usd)

This was more costly than buying the 40000 2 weeks before (About 600usd)
Something strange there... unless this is specific to screenshots. If you had 55k to start, the additional 35k should have only cost $520, which is about 1.7c each. If you had used less of your own miles and more top up it should have gone down to 1.5c

Although in the final price they may have included the taxes and LM booking fee.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

Something strange there... unless this is specific to screenshots. If you had 55k to start, the additional 35k should have only cost $520, which is about 1.7c each. If you had used less of your own miles and more top up it should have gone down to 1.5c

Although in the final price they may have included the taxes and LM booking fee.
Something strange indeed

I've never had this problem before

The total cost was $850USD - which included the taxes and booking cost. So the $750 was the miles component
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:16 pm

The saga continued...

Ended up on the phone to the payment team last night and had a very confusing conversation with the payments team explaining that I think they had the pricing wrong.

Surprisingly after a terse 10 minutes he offered to book the flight for me over the phone. So we tested different dates and different legs. I can't say I understand it - but although certain legs are available when you search on LifeMiles site - apparently some legs are only available as single sectors and not connectable. What makes this even more confusing is that the same flight may or may not be connectable depending on the date. As an example I have a BKK - MUC leg which was connectable on one day but not the day before.

In the end I ended up with a final short haul europe sector in economy which works out well as I was able to secure an emg seat which has more legroom than a business seat.

The points were way off - I ended up needing far less points, but the cost to buy the points was higher. Not sure what is happening with their system - but it's completely different to the other half dozen times I have done it.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you've hit the 'sweet spot' it can be a case that the less points you use, the more expensive they are to buy (I was originally quoted a price a couple of hundred dollars more than it should have been because the payment team proactively determined the number of points+pay without asking me how many points I actually wanted to use).

Sounds like they might be implementing some sort of married segment logic?

I noted elsewhere that connecing flights - at least on Lufthansa - now only appear to be in economy class, even if biz class awards are wide open on the connecting flight. Not sure why (I was going to submit a screeshot to try and secure biz class for the connector but maybe it's not worth it.)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:47 pm

Huh - I guess I'll go against the grain and say I find the new site to generally be an improvement over the former. A real calendar view would be nice, but it seems easier to check for which days have availability when you're flexible. It suffers from a few typical "single page app" and "mobile first" type design issues, but I find it easier to use than the previous site.

I would advise them to add the chosen flight *dates* in a few extra spots, it's easy to wind up in a screen where you have flight numbers, times, total miles, taxes & fees, etc... but the actual dates are missing and you're wondering if you wound up choosing the 3rd or the 4th for that outbound leg! :-)

My big problem with the new site: I've long had issues with payments on avianca.com (pretty sure I was blacklisted due to a well deserved chargeback back around 2012, and despite all attempts to get off said blacklist, I'm still on it) - but I was always able to redeem miles and pay the taxes & fees on lifemiles.com ... until now. Will see if I can somehow pay via the call center or in an office, but pretty frustrating to be sitting on a pile of miles, have some things I really want to book, and they won't accept any of my cards (neither my US based Amex/Visa cards nor my Colombian Avianca LifeMiles card issued by Davivienda...)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
this new website sucks!!!

i'm looking for NH F near end of schedule but can't seem to find much availability at all even though its pretty open using UA's tool

edit: it's so inconsistent sometimes it shows availability sometimes it doesn't

Last edited by merridius; Feb 16, 2019 at 10:57 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Unless you've hit the 'sweet spot' it can be a case that the less points you use, the more expensive they are to buy (I was originally quoted a price a couple of hundred dollars more than it should have been because the payment team proactively determined the number of points+pay without asking me how many points I actually wanted to use).

Sounds like they might be implementing some sort of married segment logic?

I noted elsewhere that connecing flights - at least on Lufthansa - now only appear to be in economy class, even if biz class awards are wide open on the connecting flight. Not sure why (I was going to submit a screeshot to try and secure biz class for the connector but maybe it's not worth it.)
Yep - my final leg is economy.

But as mentioned worked out well - because I reckon the economy emg seats are better than the J seats.

Now just gotta work out how to use my PP at MUC
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
Does anybody know where I can see when my miles will expire?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
Does anybody know where I can see when my miles will expire?
You can't. They forgot to implement that bit.
The only way is to email them and ask...but you'll need to provide all the usual evidence it's you, photos of passport etc.!
Tokyoite and JorgeGomez like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
You can't. They forgot to implement that bit.
The only way is to email them and ask...but you'll need to provide all the usual evidence it's you, photos of passport etc.!

Ok. Thank you. I got an answer (without photo of passport or anything else). I am only wondering about the reply. They told me my miles will expire on march 31st. 2020. Wasn`t there a change last year in april that all miles will expire 12 month after accumulate them? And I have some very old miles. So a part of them should expire on march 31st. 2019.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
Ok. Thank you. I got an answer (without photo of passport or anything else). I am only wondering about the reply. They told me my miles will expire on march 31st. 2020. Wasn`t there a change last year in april that all miles will expire 12 month after accumulate them? And I have some very old miles. So a part of them should expire on march 31st. 2019.
Good! Maybe they decided too many people were asking about expiry so have ditched the passport requirement

Yes, one year expiry, but there's also something about 'old miles' retaining the old validity. It *seems* that if you keep topping up your account the system somehow still thinks your oldest miles are still in there, so you get the two years

I noticed this before the changeover (that the two year expiry just keeps extending, presumably as long as you never get to zero, or until they fix the system).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.