Community
Wiki Posts
Search

145% LifeMiles Bonus Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Don't the redemption opportinities far outweight the points you'd get from using your Amex? (maybe get 2000 miles through the purchase transaction)

USD593 one way anywhere in Asia to Australia in biz class for example is hard to beat.
I don't buy if I can't double dip - I'm all about getting the best value out what I buy always.

As an example, my Amex Plat Charge gives me 2 x points per $ spent, and I was about to spend $2,000 AUD, which would have given me 4000 points/miles (since it's a 1:1 conversion) - that + the low points value would have given me great value. But I didn't buy because it seems like they are specifically targetting Amex cards from the payment side (did a bit of googling). I did check with Amex, it's not even going through into their system as a check.

If I was desperate for a flight, sure I would go for it, but rarely the case.

Last edited by jubbing; Dec 2, 2018 at 1:32 am
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have used Amex to buy several times, never had an issue with the transactions contrary to Visa transactions failing (fraud prevention etc.). YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
My AMEX failed to process when I bought $2000 worth of miles during the promo, but I got a good agent on the phone who was able to manually process the purchase. My card has never failed for paying taxes or cash + points though, so I don't know if it was the size of the transaction that caused a problem, or something else.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I read that when you cancel a reward it was only $50, and since F opened I upgraded my cousin on our flight where I was in F and he was in J.

So I just restarted and booked him a new ticket. Then I got upset to learn it was $200 to redeposit the J award. How do you know when it’s more advantageous to just change an award ticket or just start over?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I read that when you cancel a reward it was only $50, and since F opened I upgraded my cousin on our flight where I was in F and he was in J.

So I just restarted and booked him a new ticket. Then I got upset to learn it was $200 to redeposit the J award. How do you know when it’s more advantageous to just change an award ticket or just start over?
Change fee of $150 is very limited. Pretty much to date changes. As mentioned in the other thread, the $200 canx fee has been around for a long time now
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:44 am
Original Poster

I quickly googled and did not pay attention to the date so started over and thought it was $50. Oh well... life goes on.

it’s a shame the miles expire after one year because if they lasted longer I’d probably buy 490,000 as it would always be good to have a stash of miles for last minute trips. Does posting of miles from credit card spend prolong the miles another year?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I quickly googled and did not pay attention to the date so started over and thought it was $50. Oh well... life goes on.

it’s a shame the miles expire after one year because if they lasted longer I’d probably buy 490,000 as it would always be good to have a stash of miles for last minute trips. Does posting of miles from credit card spend prolong the miles another year?
Any earning extends the validity. And the sales are often enough that you can buy regularly to keep extending. You only need 42% of the base miles and then top up for just 1.5c per mile. Keep topping up the base miles works well.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

You only need 42% of the base miles and then top up for just 1.5c per mile. Keep topping up the base miles works well.
Can you explain this?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you explain this?
Once you have found an award - for this example we'll use one priced at 40K one way - you'll see a slider on the right hand side of the screen.

This allows you to mix points + a cash component.

You need to use a minimum of 40% of your existing points, the rest can be topped up with cash.

The slider is variable in its pricing. For a 40K award, the cash top starts at zero (using your full existing 40K from your account). But if you want to use 39K of your miles and top up, there is a price for that 1000 miles (quite expensive). As you keep clicking the slider in 1000 point increments, the price of the top up miles keeps dropping, to a point where the cost of the top up is actually negative.

The end result - almost until the end of the slider, is that the average cost of the top us is 1.5c per mile. This is available at any time, even outside 140% bonus miles offers.

The one thing to beware however is that the last two clicks (in the 40K award this wuld be at 17K and 16K) you actually see an increase in the cost of top up miles. At 41% (17K) the cost is something like 3.3c per mile, as is the last click (to 16K).

So if topping up, and wanting to get the lowest 1.5c per mile, you need your slider to be in the range anywhere from somewhere in the middle, to just before the last two clicks.

Try it for yourself with a dummy booking and watch how the price of top up miles starts high, then goes negative, then has a long period of 1.5c, then increases up.

The top up option means you can limit your liability of hoarding points. You only need ~42% (or even 50%) of the base miles and you can buy those at 1.345c during a 145% promo. The rest of the points you can top up for 1.5c.

Sure, there's a slight difference in total cost between the 145% miles and top up miles (1.5c - 1.345c), but for many, that tiny marginal cost is worth it not to have to sit on tens of thousands of LM.
NWplatinum, Paella747 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Sure, there's a slight difference in total cost between the 145% miles and top up miles (1.5c - 1.345c), but for many, that tiny marginal cost is worth it not to have to sit on tens of thousands of LM.
It's also really helpful if you're willing to transfer in from AMEX because if you're okay with the 1.5c rate you can transfer in 25-30k points on demand and then book J/F with a "co-pay" of ~$700 without holding any miles in Lifemiles until the moment of booking.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

I just transferred in my Citi Thank You points to lifemiles because Citi has a 1:1.5 ratio promo running right now.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Poster

When I type individually PEK-NRT-LAX the flights I want come up. But when I type in PEK-LAX the flight from Tokyo-LA doesn’t show up.

Is there anyway to call LifeMiles and have them piece together itineraries where I know there is space?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I type individually PEK-NRT-LAX the flights I want come up. But when I type in PEK-LAX the flight from Tokyo-LA doesn’t show up.

Is there anyway to call LifeMiles and have them piece together itineraries where I know there is space?
No.

The call centre can only see what we see (so basically no point using them).

You'll have to use the screenshot method for any flights which are there individually, but not available end-to-end. (Take a screenshot of each individual sector(s) and then one screenshot showing no availability end-to-end and send 'em off.)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

No.

The call centre can only see what we see (so basically no point using them).

You'll have to use the screenshot method for any flights which are there individually, but not available end-to-end. (Take a screenshot of each individual sector(s) and then one screenshot showing no availability end-to-end and send 'em off.)
Send off to who?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Do I end up getting ripped off if I book each segment individually? So I book the PEK-NRT for 22,500, then I book the NRT-LAX for 90,000?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.