Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Comparing Premium Economy between Air Canada and British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022

Having flown between Toronto and London twice in the last month in Premium Economy – both on British Airways and Air Canada, I thought it a good opportunity to compared the two products. With BA introducing the product earlier and generally with a larger cabin, I was curious how it compares with the younger AC product. I excluded price for comparison as it moves around so much, though generally I find BA marginally cheaper.

Seat reservation and baggage
BA charge for a seat reservation and it’s free on Air Canada. Both allow two bags in the hold.
WINNER – Air Canada

Check in and Fast track
No special privileges for PE travellers at check in or fast track security. Both provide priority bags
DRAW

Lounge
No lounge access with either carrier though with my status I can access both in Toronto. BA’s is now outsourced and has a better selection of food, but a worse drinks selection
DRAW

Boarding
Both provide early boarding before the main economy cabin
DRAW

Cabin
BA generally have a larger cabin but variable quality of seats.. The older BA 777’s have more comfy seating but no power. Also the older BA aircraft have smaller screens and their cabins generally in need of a refresh. AC seats are more modern and bigger screens. BA however have the curtain between Economy and PE. HURRAH!!
DRAW

Pre departure
BA provide a choice of soft drinks from Toronto in glass, with AC proving the same in plastic. From Heathow, BA provide prosecco as well and a top up if available. Both provide menu cards and amenity kits. The AC amenity kit is better thought out, colour co-ordinated and in a synthetic cloth bag. BA provide a biz quality headphones and AC provide the cheap economy ones
Boarding drinks – British Airways
Headphones – British Airways
Menus – Draw
Amenity kit – Air Canada
Winner – British Airways

Premeal drinks
BA do a pre meal drinks run which is welcome and a nice way to ease into the flight. AC don’t and only serve drinks with the meal cart. When I asked for a cocktail (to drink first) and red wine – the AC cabin crew told me of a one drink rule. When I asked how I could manage a pre meal drink and wine with only one pass, I was begrudgingly given both.
Winner – British Airways

IFE
Choice of films broadly the same, but the breadth of the BA programming including a lot of BBC content nudged it ahead of AC. BA are in the middle of improving the IFE screens which need doing as a matter of urgency,
Winner – British Airways (on content)

Main meal
BA claim a biz meal entre served on china. I’d argue it’s not off the biz menu and not of good quality. (though the chicken curry from London was superb). BA also ran out steak in row 1 with only 5 loaded for a 24 PSX cabin. (meaning 19 veggie meals were loaded). AC took the orders early using the same form as the biz class and we all got our choice.
BA salad was better, with a nicer desert from London AND cheese. BA also offer a choice of two whites and two reds
Quality of food – Draw
Higher tomato count in salad – British Airways
Bread - BA offer hot bread from a basket
Quality of tray overall – British Airways
Wine – British Airways
T&Cs – BA serve in a proper cup, AC in paper cups throughout
Winner – British Airways. (just)

Second Meal
Until recently, AC would have won hands down as BA scrapped the second meal. However, having realised they had overdone cuts and were losing market share – they now serve an ice-cream mid flight, and a wrap with a tiny chocolate bar along with Ts and Cs as the second meal. AC retain the hot wrap which whilst tasty includes a free “spot the chicken” competition in the chicken wrap
Winner – British Airways

Breakfast to London
AC's banada bread is only matched by a kellogs cereal bar from BA. Both are rubbish and an insult with Ts&Cs served in paper cups.
Draw

I am one of BA’s biggest critics with the cost cutting in recent years and reduction in service. However, at the risk of losing their 4 star skytrax rating, they have upped their game with enhanced food and refreshed cabins.The Air Canada product has remained pretty static since inception and when I first used it in 2014 and needs an update. However, neither airline is anywhere close to QANTAS or some of the Asian carriers and only get away with it on UK – Canadian routes with both being very average.With some further tweaks to fill in the gaps at little cost ie pre drinks in glass , choice of wine or biz class wine – either carrier could really emerge as the clear choice on this route.As much as it pains me, the clear (and surprising) overall winner is (drum roll……………)

British Airways

Last edited by Mikey Mike Mike; Nov 24, 2018 at 12:34 pm Reason: improved formatting
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Why post a comparison of Air Canada vs. British Airways in a forum section dedicated to Avianca, which is South/Central American?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
No idea - my error
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
No idea - my error
Send a message to the moderator with the red triangle and they can move it to either AC or BA for more feedback. AV is a pretty low traffic area and probably few AC or BA passengers are avid readers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.