Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

AV IRROPS in Paid Biz - Rebook on Partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus

Need some insight on the best way to get AV to rebook on a star alliance partner. We booked a round trip flight, LAX>BOG>MAD back in January. First flight in February went out without any issues, but the returning flight next month has had a schedule change.

AV27 from MAD>BOG is scheduled to land at 12:12PM. AV86 from BOG>LAX was originally departing at 2:20PM but is now departing at 12:40PM. This makes it impossible to catch our international connection with only a connection time of 28 minutes.

We need to get back on the same day due to work arrangements, and AV doesn't have any options to get us back that doesn't add 3 stops, with a downgrade from a 787 to an A320.

Fare basis on the ticket is DEA21RIR. There's a non-endorse clause but that should be waived due to the schedule change as outlined in IATA Resolution 735d. I've also reviewed the Star Alliance Reference Guide and it seems like AV should be able to interline us pretty easily, and might even have an obligation to do so.

There's a flight on Swiss (LX 2031 / LX 40) that can get us home from MAD no problem. Several other options on UA/LH as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'd be very surprised if you win this debate. I've never seen an airline reroute on OAL due to schedule change, except for if the airline stops serving the destination. If you need to be back the day you booked, have them rebook your MAD-BOG for the day earlier.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We're getting back into Paris from HKG the day before, and then flying to MAD that night to catch the AV flight the next morning. So unfortunately taking the MAD>BOG leg earlier isn't really an option.

I thought perhaps because their schedule change voids my itinerary then perhaps they would book on an airline they have an interline agreement with. The only option they provided was MAD>BOG>SJO>GUA>LAX which sounds like a nightmare.

I noticed AV codeshares with UA/LH but not LX. Would they be more likely to do it with an airline they codeshare with, even if there's no codeshare for that flight specifically?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by becharted
Thanks for the reply. We're getting back into Paris from HKG the day before, and then flying to MAD that night to catch the AV flight the next morning. So unfortunately taking the MAD>BOG leg earlier isn't really an option.

I thought perhaps because their schedule change voids my itinerary then perhaps they would book on an airline they have an interline agreement with. The only option they provided was MAD>BOG>SJO>GUA>LAX which sounds like a nightmare.

I noticed AV codeshares with UA/LH but not LX. Would they be more likely to do it with an airline they codeshare with, even if there's no codeshare for that flight specifically?
Although a multi stop, it's not that bad. The SJO-GUA-LAX is on the same aircraft. It's just a technical stop in GUA for fuel that lasts 45 minutes. So, technically you only have 2 connections. BOG and SJO. BOG is easy to connect and SJO is puny.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
AV won't have the obligation to reroute you on a different airline. However airport control has more leeway than phone agents, so you can always arrive early to MAD armed with Plan B options and see if somebody from AV is feeling proactive / generous.

Since the flight departs the EU, however, AV would be required to compensate you under EC261 rules should you miss your connecting flight and arrive late into LAX. It's also entirely possible that the LAX flight will be held for you (or will be delayed).

That said, AV should eventually get around to determining that your itinerary is illegal due to MCT, and you will be entitled to a refund or to accept whatever rerouting they offer you. (no compensation if more than 14 days ahead of departure)

There is nothing you can do about a 787 being downgraded to an A320. Some airlines offer goodwill compensation, others don't. AV probably don't...

P.S. A schedule change isn't IRROPs
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Seems like we lucked out, interesting story below if you care to read.

I reached out on Twitter after striking out with the call center, to see if there was any hope despite everything pointing to it not being possible. Eventually got a call from someone very early AM who seemed to genuinely care and want to help, although mentioned his hands were tied due to IATA regulations only allowing to endorse within a 24 hour period. In other words, I could wait until 24 hours before and risk it, or take the aforementioned option on Avianca.

I'm glad I had found out about the IATA Resolution 735d and had it handy. It says endorsements can be done outside of 24 hours with receiving carrier's approval when a schedule change happens. Most agents would brush it off and hold firm, but this agent really wanted to know what I was talking about so he pulled it up and after reading it decided to escalate the case to see what happens. He said there was pretty much zero chance but I felt like this was a win at that point because even if they said no, all I could really ask an agent to do was try and so I was pretty thankful hanging up the call.

While I waited to hear back and was realistically thinking they would say no, I remembered AV also flies from LHR and now MUC starting next month, so was thinking about trying to change the departure point from MAD which would allow us to stay on the 787 and still make our original flight from BOG to LAX. Was actually excited about that option since I didn't think about asking for it before, and seemed to be a win for both sides. All it would take was a $100 intra-Europe flight but well worth it IMO.

Sure enough, got a call the next day from the same agent expecting to hear some bad news so was going to try and settle on the LHR or MUC option. To my surprise, he actually said he had good news and was able to get approval for us to travel on another carrier. Apparently it's the first time in his 20 years at Avianca that he's seen that happen, and their team was also thankful to learn some more about this IATA resolution so they could better serve guests in the future. According to him, the lack of flexibility they have had in the past is because they were under the impression they could not issue flight coupons or endorse for other carriers outside of 24 hours. What I thought was also interesting, though, was that he said they could endorse on any airline other than LX, so it didn't have to be a *A or codeshare partner. I've had a ticket endorsed before, but not with literally almost any option I might want which kind of flipped this whole thing on its head.

We ended up sticking with *A and choosing Lufthansa A380 since that offered the best timetable and product for 2 people traveling together.

All in all a great day, and for once things seem to have worked out!
wds17 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Wow, that's a great ending.

I'll be sure to try Twitter next time I run into one of these situations.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Wow, that's a great ending.

I'll be sure to try Twitter next time I run into one of these situations.
Yes it was! Even processed an upgrade offer from business to first for $1k pp. From a "D" fare on Avianca to an "A" fare on Lufthansa the next day. Can't complain
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Yes it was! Even processed an upgrade offer from business to first for $1k pp. From a "D" fare on Avianca to an "A" fare on Lufthansa the next day. Can't complain
Just to clarify while you were able to change from Avianca to Lufthansa and then you paid an additional 1K PP to upgrade from J to F? Who did you pay Avianca or Lufthansa once the switch was made?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Just to clarify while you were able to change from Avianca to Lufthansa and then you paid an additional 1K PP to upgrade from J to F? Who did you pay Avianca or Lufthansa once the switch was made?
yeah so I had purchased a D fare with Avianca and they had a schedule change that invalidated the itinerary. They endorsed the ticket onto Lufthansa as a C fare. After I got the booking reference, I logged on the LH website and I saw an upgrade to First was available for $1K PP but was not able to book it. Figured the LH ticket had not been issued yet so maybe it was a fluke, but I called up LH and they said the ticket was already issued and they were able to process the upgrade to an A fare on the spot. Upgraded flight was FRA-LAX which I’ve heard is one of the more competitive routes too.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)

yeah so I had purchased a D fare with Avianca and they had a schedule change that invalidated the itinerary. They endorsed the ticket onto Lufthansa as a C fare. After I got the booking reference, I logged on the LH website and I saw an upgrade to First was available for $1K PP but was not able to book it. Figured the LH ticket had not been issued yet so maybe it was a fluke, but I called up LH and they said the ticket was already issued and they were able to process the upgrade to an A fare on the spot. Upgraded flight was FRA-LAX which I’ve heard is one of the more competitive routes too.
Wow great work! Did you use the First Terminal and Lounge at FRA?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Wow great work! Did you use the First Terminal and Lounge at FRA?
flight is in 2 weeks, looking forward to it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.