Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort of Avianca Business Class Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Comfort of Avianca Business Class Seats

I'm curious to know if anyone else finds AV's Clase Negocios seats to be uncomfortable. For me, the upright position for take-off and landing is near intolerable, making me feel as if the seats actually force me to sit at a forward angle. This is my experience on all of their Airbus aircraft.

I live in Colombia, and AV would really make more sense for me than does my current choice of Copa. I just can't imagine myself flying them to/from the USA on Airbus equipment and finding a way to enjoy it. I'm fine in their economy seats for domestic flights, but that's a small percentage of my total annual flying. Economy on any airline with a flight of 2 hours ago causes a great deal of pain in my back, so that isn't an option for me on the longer duration trips.

The discomfort is less, but not unnoticed once the seats may be reclined. Still too uncomfortable for me to be willing to make the switch. It seems as though there is a complete absence of lower back padding and support, and the headrests feel exaggerated in comparison.

None of my Colombian family members notice a thing, but they are much shorter than me. I wonder if that's the possible cause of what seems to this American (Gringo) frequent flyer to be a major design flaw. Perhaps they designed the seats for a smaller average build than the one I carry.

This is not an issue on their Embraer or Boeing equipment, but making that a determining factor would significantly limit my options for destinations. Limiting my destinations defeats the purpose of switching from CM to AV. If anyone over 5'10" (I'm 5'11") has found a way to get comfortable in AV's J product, please share it with me. I simply can't do it, but I really, really want to.

Looking forward to either helpful or affirming comments about this issue. Thanks in advance for your germane perspective.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:36 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Yes, the problem you describe (A330 business seats in upright position actually being slightly forward-inclined) really exists and is annoying to me too, but it has an easy solution: I just press the recline button, very slightly, putting the seat in a more neutral position, perhaps even a little bit reclined, and that is it!
I have never being flagged for doing it, as I doubt it is even discernible by the eye. I have done it dozens of times.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:26 pm

Yeah, to me that seat is quite uncomfortable too. Next time I fly the angled seat I'm gonna try what NPF suggested.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I'm actually talking about the A319/320/321 aircraft, not the 330. I have not flown on the Avianca A330. My wife has a friend who one of their pilots, and he told me that those interiors are simply old and worn out. Seems that AV doesn't currently have the money to refit them, so the problem will remain.

With the majority of their passengers being South American, few notice the discomfort that we do. It's all about height. There is little to no incentive for them to put cash into something that most passengers don't find to be an issue. Looks like I'll stick with Copa. I love Copa, but they don't fly to as many destinations within the USA. That's the only reason I would consider switching.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I'm under the impression that CM flies to more destinations in US than AV, no? The A330 business seats are er, alright. Not uncomfortable, not that comfortable. The new A32x seats in business are only uncomfortable for take off and landing, due to the very strange upright position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.