Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

San Salvador (SAL) immigration issues because of lack of tax confirmation

Old May 27, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P

I today arrived (for the first time) at SAL on AV and will also return with AV on the same ticket. While staying in El Salvador I'l have a few business meetings. I travel on a passport which grants visa free entry up to 90 days.

However, at immigration on arrival they requested a "stamped and signed declaration of AV that I had paid the airport tax". Oh well ... I showed my printed e-ticket, clearly showing the tax, but not to avail. I was sent back to the AV counter at gate 13 (immigration is near gate 3). As far as I could tell, the same happened to all arriving non resident pax. (Of course citizens and residents, as well as international transit pax were spared.)

AV was quite quick at issuing the repective confirmation, which essentially consisted of a signed and stamped print out of my ticket. But going back to the counter, queuing twice at immigration plus once at the AV counter took almost one hour!

I've never experienced the something like this before. Most countries are rather desperate to attract visitors and investors ...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
It's El Salvador, and there was an opportunity to collect a bribe. What do you expect?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by TProphet
It's El Salvador, and there was an opportunity to collect a bribe. What do you expect?
Erm, don't think so. Maybe in other countries.

Probably a misunderstanding between the airport and AV. Likely something changed recently. Something similar happened in SJO about 2 years back.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
SJO used to have a pay for tax counter and still does for a couple of fairly small airlines but the few times I stayed over in SAL going back years (when it was still TACA/LACSA) I didn't pay tax at a counter because it must have been included, so it's hard to imagine what changed. SAL is a big AV hub so you'd think there'd be no problems, more that SAL airport would worry about p*ing off AV not the other way around.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
SJO used to have a pay for tax counter and still does for a couple of fairly small airlines but the few times I stayed over in SAL going back years (when it was still TACA/LACSA) I didn't pay tax at a counter because it must have been included, so it's hard to imagine what changed. SAL is a big AV hub so you'd think there'd be no problems, more that SAL airport would worry about p*ing off AV not the other way around.
Quite the opposite, AV has taken most of it's heavy flights out of SAL and put them through BOG. If anything, salvadorians will be pissed. Trust me, I fly privately to SAL at least 3 times a month. The days of the TACA benefits are gone.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Can't see them getting in a debate over normally included taxes even post TACA so whatever happened is a mystery.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
actually. i had an UA award with 7-8 hrs layover in SAL, was sent back to ticketing desk to pay an add collect for tax (which i didnt pay due to layover). after getting the receipt (paid by credit card), i went back and enter sal without any problem

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.