Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

New Expiration Policy: 12 months from last accrual, redemption has no effect

Old Jan 16, 18, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire

Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th, 2018.

For non-elites, miles expire 12 months from last accrual (24 months for elites). Cannot extend validity by redemption.

See details here: https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx/
Old Jan 16, 18, 1:13 pm

This reads as if the validity extends with each mile-earning activity

"As of April 15th 2018, every time you earn miles with Avianca or via any other commercial partner, the validity of all miles in your account will extend for at least 12 months. If you are an Elite Member or an Avianca LifeMiles Credit or Debit Card holder, every time you accrue miles the validity of all the miles in your account will extend for 24 months. If you live in Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, or Peru, and soon in other countries, you can accrue miles as you shop in hundreds of retailers."

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/tra/pr....aspx?D=TTN582
Old Jan 16, 18, 3:01 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
So does buying miles extend the validity of your existing miles?
Old Jan 16, 18, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by kpc View Post
Unclear, depends on whether purchased miles fall under "any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program". It also appears that transferring Citi TY points would not reset the clock. I only skimmed it quickly, but relevant portions are quoted here:

Any miles accrual transaction in a memberīs account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles.
Accrual of miles means any transaction that increases the balance of the accrued miles in the memberīs account and the accrual shall be considered to have been made on the date on which the miles are actually credited into the memberīs account, based on the reports sent or accrual methods implemented by the different commercial partner, date that may or may not coincide with the date of the transaction from which the accrual of miles is derived. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the memberīs account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a memberīs duplicate accounts. In the case of the transfer of miles from a memberīs account to another, the activity in the account of the transferring member will extend the validity of the miles that are kept in its account for twelve (12) months or twenty-four (24) months if it has an Elite Status, from the date of the transaction.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jan 16, 18 at 10:30 pm
Old Jan 16, 18, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Originally Posted by kpc View Post
IMO yes. Buying miles is an accrual transaction.
HeavenlyJane likes this.
Old Jan 16, 18, 4:39 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Is anyone aware of any other FF program where burning doesn't extend the validity date? I am not aware of any others.

I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other FF programs.
Old Jan 16, 18, 7:01 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I did make a mileage donation just the other week which under current rules (prior to those discussed here) still extended the validity by 24 months. So better do that before April then if in need. It reflects properly on the account in my case.
kpc likes this.
Old Jan 19, 18, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QF ExLurker View Post
Is anyone aware of any other FF program where burning doesn't extend the validity date?
FlyingBlue (Air France/KLM's programme),
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:43 am

LAN

Originally Posted by QF ExLurker View Post
Is anyone aware of any other FF program where burning doesn't extend the validity date? I am not aware of any others.

I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other FF programs.
LAN has a similar policy.
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
JAL, ANA too.
Old Jan 21, 18, 12:12 am

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
So does TK, 3 years, burn them or be gone.
Old Jan 21, 18, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
So does TK, 3 years, burn them or be gone.
That is slightly different (and harsher): the validity of the miles cannot be extended by any kind of activity. This is also the case, in particular, for Asiana (and Lufthansa if you are not an elite member).
Old Jan 24, 18, 1:00 pm
zlc

When book tickets with LM, I always use cash & points, effectively buying some miles at 1.5c each. When looking at my activity, it showed as buy/earn for those miles, followed by the redemption with full award miles. Wonder if this counts as earning miles.
Old Jan 25, 18, 10:09 am

What's the rule for miles already in the account before the policy took effect?
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm so dumb, I just canceled the credit card . I could have kept it and had the fee waived (but didn't even think to ask at the time; my wife subsequently got her waived).
My last activity was Feb 2017, I didn't want to wait for an answer to erik123's good question.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: