Alternative to LM for * miles buyers?

Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Alternative to LM for * miles buyers?

Sorry if this is a question that's already been discussed at length, but I couldn't find a thread in the search.

LM's many, many problems are well documented - but for me (and no doubt many others), now that it's harder and harder to book J/F awards that are bookable with other * miles LM is no longer really fit for purpose for me.

As a non Star alliance flyer, I use LM to buy cheap miles in decent quantity so that when a star alliance J or F award is the best option for travel, I can book it at a reasonable price (factoring in the original cost of the miles).

What alternative program would you recommend for people like me? Key constraints for me are:
  • Must be able to buy reasonably large (100-200k?) amounts of miles per year
  • Not require a US credit card to earn
  • Doesn't requite meaningful amounts star alliance flown miles/status on star
  • no large scale blocking of J/F awards! (excl LX F which is obviously blocked across the board)
Thanks for your ideas!
Alex
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:33 am

Yesterday for Black Friday AA sold miles for about 1.64 cpm (when you buy 150,000 and get 120,000 bonus), the most attractive price I've seen for AA miles in a very long time, and not much more than LM miles. If you travel on routes where AA award availability is good, then AA miles at this price are an excellent alternative to LM.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Maayan
Yesterday for Black Friday AA sold miles for about 1.64 cpm (when you buy 150,000 and get 120,000 bonus), the most attractive price I've seen for AA miles in a very long time, and not much more than LM miles. If you travel on routes where AA award availability is good, then AA miles at this price are an excellent alternative to LM.
AA miles have their own problems: expedite fees (if booking less than 21 days in advance), fuel surcharges for the bulk of the TATL flights available using AA miles. 1.64 cpm for AA miles is over-priced in my opinion.

I'd rather be a buyer of UA miles at even 1.8 cpm than a buyer of AA miles at 1.64 cpm.
Maayan likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maayan
Yes, I used to use US Airways for this exact thing before the AA merger - given the constant AA miles sales since then I figured the USAir miles purchase promotion team team managed to win in the post merger "synergies"! But I'm an AA EXP (and BA GGL) so I have 1-2mm oneworld miles already, so buying star alliance is what I need.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Sorry if this is a question that's already been discussed at length, but I couldn't find a thread in the search.

LM's many, many problems are well documented - but for me (and no doubt many others), now that it's harder and harder to book J/F awards that are bookable with other * miles LM is no longer really fit for purpose for me.

As a non Star alliance flyer, I use LM to buy cheap miles in decent quantity so that when a star alliance J or F award is the best option for travel, I can book it at a reasonable price (factoring in the original cost of the miles).

What alternative program would you recommend for people like me? Key constraints for me are:
  • Must be able to buy reasonably large (100-200k?) amounts of miles per year
  • Not require a US credit card to earn
  • Doesn't requite meaningful amounts star alliance flown miles/status on star
  • no large scale blocking of J/F awards! (excl LX F which is obviously blocked across the board)
Thanks for your ideas!
Alex
I would suggest either Aeroplan or one of the transferable points (SPG, UR etc) and transfer to either ANA, Asiana, or United.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
I would suggest either Aeroplan or one of the transferable points (SPG, UR etc) and transfer to either ANA, Asiana, or United.
Isn't Aeroplan closing in a few years? Also it charges YQ.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Isn't Aeroplan closing in a few years? Also it charges YQ.
In a few years, yes. The YQ, its a pain to live with it. But, Aeroplan checks off most of the OP's requirements.
I wouldn't bank my life savings of miles and points in it, but its a viable option for the next few years.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
United has a flash sale on miles. If you buy at least 20,000 UA Miles, the cost is 1.75 cents per mile. For me that is a better deal than what LifeMiles.com is currently offering.
UA miles are more easily used by me than Lifemiles.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Wow, the more I read the more I doubt Lifemiles, I was gonna buy some miles with this 150% sale recently and didn't cuz I don't really have the cash to buy em on spec at the moment, but it sounds like even beyond the speculative aspect this is not a good idea.

Does anyone have any link to really telling blogs/thread posts on the topic? I've only ever seen minor comments about availability and passing comments like the one the OP posted, but never any actual sort of long form informative posts.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Wow, the more I read the more I doubt Lifemiles, I was gonna buy some miles with this 150% sale recently and didn't cuz I don't really have the cash to buy em on spec at the moment, but it sounds like even beyond the speculative aspect this is not a good idea.

Does anyone have any link to really telling blogs/thread posts on the topic? I've only ever seen minor comments about availability and passing comments like the one the OP posted, but never any actual sort of long form informative posts.
Do some simple research: look on united.com for a LH route with F availability in the next 14 days and then once you find a flight that has availability, login at lifemiles.com and search for the same flights. and then add in the extra complication that often (50+% of the time for me) when you do find seats that are actually available on lifemiles.com the website doesn't work and you have to send in screenshots by email to actually make a reservation.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:37 pm

I'm looking into Aeroplan and Aegean as LM alternatives, although they both charge YQ on certain routes. Aeroplan has the benefit of being an MR transfer partner, and Aegean is an SPG transfer partner.

Thanks, Tokyoite for suggesting Aeroplan.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
How does one garner 150k SPG/MR/UR without credit card usage/signup bonuses? OP specifically said they want to buy miles outright, not sign up for and use an AMEX or Chase card. If you know a way to buy AMEX MR or UR in bulk that doesn’t involve a broker, I’d be keen to learn it. (SPG purchase is limited to well below 100k a year unless you start making accounts at your address for your family, dogs, cats, goldfish...)

To OP: I actually think AV is still OK. About to head to SE Asia using AV miles on BR J. I might explore a combo of AV/UA/AA/AS; all have prices at times below 2 cpm and all have strong and weak points.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 17, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:31 pm

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it!
Sure. I'm just puzzled when someone asks "hey, would there be another program to buy miles in?" and specifically disclaims interest in credit cards that someone would suggest MR/UR or SPG (though there are ways with SPG if you're willing to have your dog, cat and goldfish have accounts, though that program is likely not a solution much past 2018). Makes me wonder if I missed something (as I fit the OP's profile: amassing credit cards and bonuses are not an option, buying miles IS an option).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: most of them
Alaska frequently runs sales on their miles as well. They have a variety of partners across several alliances. Their website/booking engine generally works pretty well. (And from what I understand their BoA credit card is still churnable)

I managed to book a couple of nice F class awards to/from SE Asia last year (traveled in Nov) using Lifemiles. But their website is now pretty much unusable for booking awards as far as I can tell. I haven't bothered jumping through all of the screenshot hoops yet. I might try and book over the phone first. If they ever get that fixed I think this is still a useful program given how cheap the miles can be.

FWIW, Aeroplan does not charge YQ on all airlines/routes. I flew C class on Brussels and SAS for just a few dollars plus the miles. But my flight on Austrian cost a lot of YQ. Lesson learned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.