FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo-716/)
-   -   Avianca Strike? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo/1874018-avianca-strike.html)

zoegksf Oct 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Avianca Strike?

It appears that the LAX-BOG-LAX hasn't operated since September 19, 2017. Are the pilots still striking? I have got a trip coming up in 2 weeks and really don't want to get "stuck" anywhere, since their customer service is in the trash always.

gimmedub Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Yes strike is still ongoing... Would recommend calling and getting a different routing or refund/rebook on copa!

veritech Oct 26, 2017 6:34 am

I'm booked on the same route in mid November. I was able to get an open-jaw deal SFO-BOG-LHR for $550 (AV sells their BOG-LHR for ~$1000 one way), however I'm worried that trying to rebook is going to blow it up. Any suggestions?

I booked via UA. If I want to rebook, who do I call, AV or UA? Also are there any DOT rules that are in my favor?

zoegksf Oct 26, 2017 2:12 pm

I booked through Expedia, as I can never get the Avianca site to work right. The LAX-BOG legs are in addition at the beginning and end of a MAD trip, so Copa won't help. I will give it until early November to see what AV is up to, as their web page has a tickler for Oct 1-31 as of now.

bkkth Oct 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Other than FLL, where does Avianca fly to in the US?

zoegksf Oct 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by bkkth (Post 28981221)
Other than FLL, where does Avianca fly to in the US?

MIA,LAX,SFO,JFK just to name a few.

El Cochinito Oct 29, 2017 10:50 pm

I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with the call center in Medellin rebooking my LAX-BOG-MAD-BOG-LAX trip departing in mid-November. When you call in you'll be transferred to a special rebooking department. There were no English language agents available there due to the lateness of the hour.

My brother-in-law and son and I are booked in Business class on two separate PNRs so it was somewhat of a challenge for the agent to find flights that worked. BOG-MAD-BOG is still operating but LAX-BOG and BOG-LAX is cancelled through November.

Ultimately she rebooked us in C on TACA routing LAX-GUA-SJO-BOG and same on return. She sent confirmation e-mails while I was on the phone.

I have no idea what would have happened if I didn't check now and showed up at the airport. I can only imagine the lines and upset passengers.

zoegksf Oct 30, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by El Cochinito (Post 28992842)
I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with the call center in Medellin rebooking my LAX-BOG-MAD-BOG-LAX trip departing in mid-November. When you call in you'll be transferred to a special rebooking department. There were no English language agents available there due to the lateness of the hour.

My brother-in-law and son and I are booked in Business class on two separate PNRs so it was somewhat of a challenge for the agent to find flights that worked. BOG-MAD-BOG is still operating but LAX-BOG and BOG-LAX is cancelled through November.

Ultimately she rebooked us in C on TACA routing LAX-GUA-SJO-BOG and same on return. She sent confirmation e-mails while I was on the phone.

I have no idea what would have happened if I didn't check now and showed up at the airport. I can only imagine the lines and upset passengers.

I just got a re-route from Avianca too, by email. Total unacceptable. Now leaving LAX at 12:30pm to SAL on Taca then BOG at 00:01am, thus requiring me to book yet another night in BOG. As I said, I booked through Expedia, they however are not showing the change yet. I am going to pursue cancellation with Expedia, hopefully easier than dealing with Avianca.

John Summers Nov 1, 2017 8:42 am

Any updates on the lax-bog-lax route?? Many Thanks

AlreadyThere Nov 8, 2017 3:57 pm

OK, it's been a week since the last posting here. Does that mean the strike is over, or that there are no further flight disruptions? If there were ongoing problems, I'd expect a very active thread... I've googled it and can't find any real recent news one way or another.

EWRTravelers Nov 8, 2017 7:39 pm

We were booked JFK>BOG next week and have just found out that our flight was cancelled. It appears a number of US bound flights have been cancelled after 11/20.

jfoley Nov 8, 2017 8:54 pm

Strike is still ongoing. Definitely avoid Avianca at this point.

My experience as a data point:

Flying next week LAX-BOG-MAD return in J. Portions of my flight have been cancelled twice now, with no email or phone notification (LAX-BOG is gone, as noted in previous posts). The first I learned of a cancellation was when I called in to arrange seats, the second cancellation I learned when I called in a week ago to confirm times. Both times I was on the phone for hours trying to get a new routing. They are not cancelling flights and protecting passengers on another flight. You're just in limbo. As this is resulting in heavy consolidation of flights, everything is also fully booked and they seem unable to get you (me) on other flights.

They are also not endorsing on other Star flights, they are forcing you to stay on Avianca even though the flights are still being cancelled or are fully booked. If they can't find anything, they are also pushing refunds (inethical this close to flying out?). My flights are now quite the milk run, but I was only given one choice and it's really rather awful.

Really, Avianca management seems unable to disengage from their management's squabble with their pilots/internal team and understand the harsh reality facing their passengers. I can't help but wonder, if I'm experiencing this with a paid J flight, what are Y travelers facing?

AlreadyThere Nov 9, 2017 8:53 am

Well, I was going to be in BOG anyway at the end of the month (via LATAM), and wanted to do a one-day visit to Cartagena, but am kind of afraid of getting stuck there (or not getting there in the first place and having a hard time getting a refund).

zoegksf Nov 9, 2017 10:26 am

Yes, the strike is ongoing. No end in sight. There are articles in Spanish if you google it, nothing in English. I cancelled my trip for a full refund, however, 4 days later, flights still appearing. Might have to take it up with my CC at this point. As per Avianca customer service, it leaves something to be desired.

It also seems to me that the TACA subsidiary of Avianca is doing most of the flying, which was confirmed by an article in Spanish about the strike. The Colombian pilots are the ones whom are causing all the problems.

Moderator2 Nov 9, 2017 11:51 am

First hand info, from El Dorado Airport real-time. Intra-country Avianca flights that haven't been already pulled off the schedule well in advance of the departure date, are running essentially normally. We were touring BOG the last few days with one of the larger tour companies, and they do airport pick-ups a dozen times a day, so feel their information is beyond anecdotal.

As a back-up to our intra-country Avianca flights, we bought one-way refundable tickets on Latam. When we arrived at BOG, checked in for Avianca and were comfortable that the upcoming flight was going to run, I called Latam's US 800 number and cancelled the RSVP. Took about ten minutes on the phone. Got an email confirming the cancel almost immediately, and was told the refund could take up to 45 days (although 15 was more ordinary).

YMMV