Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Chances of upgrade of Avianca ticket with *A silver status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have an Avianca itinerary booked in U-class from JFK-SAL, at 4:40AM on March 25th, then onwards to RTB. This flight would normally earn 50% of miles flown if credited to Lifemiles, meaning I'd earn 2349 miles.

I'm considering applying for a status challenge on United airlines that would give me *A silver status for 90 days. I'm trying to select a starting date for the challenge that will maximize my use of the status.

If I were to change my frequent flyer number on this itinerary to United, however, I'd earn far fewer miles.

If there was a reasonable chance of an upgrade to the business cabin, I'd willingly sacrifice the miles. Does anyone have a sense of whether that is likely on this flight?

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
0% Chance
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Star alliance silver is absolutely pointless.

It's hit or miss, but you can often bid to upgrade on AV. With my Star Gold I was never really emailed much about those, but on my AV flights this week using my current star silver with SQ, I got offers for each flight.

That might be your best bet, unforunately I can't help you GET there, it seems totally random.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by grlmopz
If there was a reasonable chance of an upgrade to the business cabin, I'd willingly sacrifice the miles. Does anyone have a sense of whether that is likely on this flight?
Please let us know, why YOU think AV should upgrade you - wich a cheapy Y-cl fare - to C-cl when you even did not achieve any status with the airline?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No chance at all.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Please let us know, why YOU think AV should upgrade you - wich a cheapy Y-cl fare - to C-cl when you even did not achieve any status with the airline?
This response seems unnecessarily hostile. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, AV's website indicates that 72 hour upgrades are possible for Star Alliance silver members. It's not unreasonable to ask the odds of an upgrade, given the fact that their website alerted me to this notion in the first place.

Thanks to the others for the information.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Maybe they're referring to the auction bid thing I received. I've never gotten an op-up from AV in 6-8 years of flying them from no status, to silver status, to gold status, domestic, short haul intl...only haven't flown their TATLs.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:21 am

I have had AV *S for 3 Years. And I have lucked out on BOG-BGI/CUR/MEX/SAL/MIA upgrades and in DEC LHR-BOG so I am pretty happy.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lordlucan
I have had AV *S for 3 Years. And I have lucked out on BOG-BGI/CUR/MEX/SAL/MIA upgrades and in DEC LHR-BOG so I am pretty happy.
From AV's perspective, AV Silver is different from *S via United. United will upgrade its own Silvers, but it will not upgrade *S from other carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.