Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Long haul - disinterested crew and lack of service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more

Hi guys, first post in this forum, recent life miles member having moved to Colombia this year.

I just wanted to report my experience on a flight BOG -LHR earlier this month. I was in economy so don't expect a great deal, but this may have been the absolute minimum service standard I've recieved on any long haul carrier, and I wondered if it's normal?

Essentially after take off we were served dinner - as a side note I can't believe they use those polystyrene containers even on the transatlantics, the food was pretty dire even for Y. There was no pre dinner drink service as other carriers usually offer, and the wine glass with dinner is basically a thimble. I usually enjoy a couple of drinks as a nervous flyer and to help me sleep.

And then...that was it. No other drinks service, no offering of water, nada until breakfast was served much later. (I couldn;t actually sleep so I know no-one ever came down the aisle). The crew retreated to the back, sat down, and chatted/read their books for the whole flight. I went to the back to ask for a beer once dinner was cleared away and was refused and told all that could be offered was the soft drinks in the tray (and they were very clear you were getting this yourself too). This is unlike any other airline I've flown on. Just to note, I hadn't been drinking before getting on board and I heard others refused, so it wasn't a case of them thinking I had had enough

Anyway, I just wondered if this is normal? It seems a shame, given Colombia has the most wonderful friendly people I've met in the world, in general on their flights I have found their crew rather aloof, getting minimum service over asap and then disappearing. Functional is the word I guess. I would have thought Avianca could market their unique Colombia friendliness as a selling point, but it doesn't seem there's much desire to do that.

interested in your thoughts
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:35 am
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by nallison
Hi guys, first post in this forum, recent life miles member having moved to Colombia this year.

I just wanted to report my experience on a flight BOG -LHR earlier this month. I was in economy so don't expect a great deal, but this may have been the absolute minimum service standard I've recieved on any long haul carrier, and I wondered if it's normal?

Essentially after take off we were served dinner - as a side note I can't believe they use those polystyrene containers even on the transatlantics, the food was pretty dire even for Y. There was no pre dinner drink service as other carriers usually offer, and the wine glass with dinner is basically a thimble. I usually enjoy a couple of drinks as a nervous flyer and to help me sleep.

And then...that was it. No other drinks service, no offering of water, nada until breakfast was served much later. (I couldn;t actually sleep so I know no-one ever came down the aisle). The crew retreated to the back, sat down, and chatted/read their books for the whole flight. I went to the back to ask for a beer once dinner was cleared away and was refused and told all that could be offered was the soft drinks in the tray (and they were very clear you were getting this yourself too). This is unlike any other airline I've flown on. Just to note, I hadn't been drinking before getting on board and I heard others refused, so it wasn't a case of them thinking I had had enough

Anyway, I just wondered if this is normal? It seems a shame, given Colombia has the most wonderful friendly people I've met in the world, in general on their flights I have found their crew rather aloof, getting minimum service over asap and then disappearing. Functional is the word I guess. I would have thought Avianca could market their unique Colombia friendliness as a selling point, but it doesn't seem there's much desire to do that.

interested in your thoughts
Sounds like a typical experience for Y in South America. Customer services isn't a big priority - crew down time is
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Pretty typical AV.

It's weird, because Colombian service in other areas, such as hotels, is fantastic.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Pretty typical AV.

It's weird, because Colombian service in other areas, such as hotels, is fantastic.
Because AV is run like a state-owned carrier, treated as such, and the people are hired as such.

If you want to see Latin American government-run hospitality in action, I suggest checking out Cuba.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by keitherson
Because AV is run like a state-owned carrier, treated as such, and the people are hired as such.
Right, which is why flag carriers such as SQ and EK are also known for their awful service
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Right, which is why flag carriers such as SQ and EK are also known for their awful service
Haha, nicely put! ^ Not sure I really understand the comment you were responding to at all!

Keitherson, have you travelled on an American airline recently? Those bastions of free market capitalism. At least I can get a smile out of Avianca crew. Avianca's planes are also vastly more comfortable than the European legacies (in economy at least).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:55 pm

Sorry, let me clarify: state-owned Latin American carrier.

Comparing Latin American governments to the Singaporean government is apples to oranges.

If you deal with government services and bureaucracy in these countries, you know what I mean. Generally speaking, state-owned airlines can give good insight of their owners. You won't see mismanagement and neglect in Singapore Airlines. But have you seen Alitalia?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:04 pm

Sorry, let me clarify: state-owned Latin American carrier.

Comparing Latin American governments to the Singaporean government is apples to oranges.

If you deal with government services and bureaucracy in these countries, you know what I mean. Generally speaking, state-owned airlines can give good insight of their owners. You won't see mismanagement and neglect in Singapore Airlines. But have you seen Alitalia?
You made a point, you were "corrected" by somebody and rather than letting it go, you continue, this time writing something even more extreme in terms of providing arguments for your idea: Alitalia as an example for a state-owned Latin American airline? C'me on...
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If you want to see Latin American government-run hospitality in action, I suggest checking out Cuba.
Out of interest, who are the private carriers that you believe are setting the standard for airline service around the world?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Out of interest, who are the private carriers that you believe are setting the standard for airline service around the world?
ANA & JAL comes to mind.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by lighthand
ANA & JAL comes to mind.
Their crews are exquisitely trained and tightly managed. As are SQ, etc.

Suspect AV's problem is poor training and lax management. Has little to do with who ultimately owns the assets, but rather the quality of the management.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
You made a point, you were "corrected" by somebody and rather than letting it go, you continue, this time writing something even more extreme in terms of providing arguments for your idea: Alitalia as an example for a state-owned Latin American airline? C'me on...
Enjoy Aerolineas Argentinas, I guess

Their crews are exquisitely trained and tightly managed. As are SQ, etc.

Suspect AV's problem is poor training and lax management. Has little to do with who ultimately owns the assets, but rather the quality of the management.
You mean incompetent management stacked by the government?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Standard service, but I'm pretty sure it still better than Iberia.

On long haul flights from Latin America to Europe, I keep Air France in the top spot in economy class. Can't comment on superior classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.