Wiki Posts
Search

2x1 is back!, But now with more miles!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
SO, this is insane. a "singles day" promotion for Nov 11-18, 140% bonus without minimum miles purchase. Desperate times call for desperate measures!
They really need to fix their website first.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by onlysuites
They really need to fix their website first.
Unless they fix the website and improve the award flight redemption opportunities on Star Alliance carriers, I'm very hesitant to buy a lot more of these miles.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
SO, this is insane. a "singles day" promotion for Nov 11-18, 140% bonus without minimum miles purchase. Desperate times call for desperate measures!
Is this targetted.. I can't see it
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Ok, so I'm guessing it's targetted, some blog posts indicated it was, but then I haven't really seen many other people have issues, other than a handful of recent posters to this thread. Can I ask, do you guys often have this problem? I've seen these promos come up before, usually on blogs and never really thought it was for me, but 140% was pretty good and I thought I might give this one a shot. Only I wasn't targetted. But now it occurs to me I've never been targetted. I've had a lifemiles account for years, that IIRC I've never used, but it's been open and the check box does say "I consent to being contacted about promos" or whatever. I swear I've never once seen an email with promos like this. Are they usually targetted? It seems some people are saying if you open a new account it might work? I tried opening a new account with 2 different emails and it wouldn't let me, I guess because my birthday and name match? I don't wanna enter a false birthday and then not be able to change it later or whatever. Anyone run into these issues? I'm not 100% sure I was gonna buy miles, but it did sound like a good offer and I was gonna get down to the math and see if it was worth it, but even if I miss this sale, I don't wanna miss the next time they do 150 or certainly not 200%.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Ok, so I'm guessing it's targetted, some blog posts indicated it was, but then I haven't really seen many other people have issues, other than a handful of recent posters to this thread. Can I ask, do you guys often have this problem? I've seen these promos come up before, usually on blogs and never really thought it was for me, but 140% was pretty good and I thought I might give this one a shot. Only I wasn't targetted. But now it occurs to me I've never been targetted. I've had a lifemiles account for years, that IIRC I've never used, but it's been open and the check box does say "I consent to being contacted about promos" or whatever. I swear I've never once seen an email with promos like this. Are they usually targetted? It seems some people are saying if you open a new account it might work? I tried opening a new account with 2 different emails and it wouldn't let me, I guess because my birthday and name match? I don't wanna enter a false birthday and then not be able to change it later or whatever. Anyone run into these issues? I'm not 100% sure I was gonna buy miles, but it did sound like a good offer and I was gonna get down to the math and see if it was worth it, but even if I miss this sale, I don't wanna miss the next time they do 150 or certainly not 200%.
maybe you should buy once to unlock the offers. 33usd for 1000 miles. I haven't had an issue though with getting some (not all) bonuses for an account I manage that has never had activities.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
cyber monday sale is up. 145% bonus.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:18 am

cyber monday sale is up. 145% bonus.
Lol, that didn't take long.

If it weren't for devals I'd just buy a pile of miles every month for use whenever I need them. I'm pretty flexible with my travel plans and much of where I go depends on what's cheap/available, so the points work fairly well.

Not looking for a full review, but does anyone who uses Aeroplan have a comparison vs Avianca? I actually like flying AV a lot, but I'd never be able to hit status with them due to the requirements which is why I have never really had an active LM account. In the past with the no mixed-class bookings I would never have signed up and bought miles, that was a stupid rule, but now that it's gone, and people seem to like the search engine (though I haven't exactly figured out why) I'm kinda interested in jumping on board since it seems like between buying miles and some chart sweet spots there's some pretty decent value in it.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I still find cheaper Business tickets within Asia then buying these miles and paying the taxes and fees. Really makes no sense to buy these miles.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:26 am

Are they going to offer a Black Friday spiff bonus?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Are they going to offer a Black Friday spiff bonus?
Sure them not let us know now. But may be Thursday night ? Who knows, may be 24h. an 10% extra bonus ?
Now them be aprox 13,5 US cent. For me still not worth to buy.
Some years ago them sold @ 15 US cent and i bought alot, but the EUR/US$ was over 1,40 now 1,15 and a business class from BKK to FRA onward to a place in "nowhere" was 22,5k same the other way around PAR-BKK-....... was 25k. Now you already sucessfull if you get them down to 45k or 69k instead of 78k. And as already pointed out by others 114*13,5 = 1539 US$ . Incl. taxes and fees you ending with 1500+ Euro. In our market we get many times revenue tix from QR/EY/EK in business for less, and on these you even earn miles and status.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I still find cheaper Business tickets within Asia then buying these miles and paying the taxes and fees. Really makes no sense to buy these miles.
We get it! How many times are you going to post this same thing? LM works amazingly well for some people, clearly not you, so why not just move on?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MattEvan
We get it! How many times are you going to post this same thing? LM works amazingly well for some people, clearly not you, so why not just move on?
As many times as newbies like you are educated about it. Its all about education.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
As many times as newbies like you are educated about it. Its all about education.
OK Professor, educate me! Where are you getting your discounted F tickets to Asia?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:58 pm

He said "within asia" not that I'm defending him. I think there's a value here. I don't know all the inns and outs of LM, I'm pretty sure there's no stopovers, but I get good value from my AP miles using stopovers and flying the airlines I WANT to fly. Also, I like to be able to include <24 hour layovers which often aren't really possible on revenue tickets. Plus living in Canada, the revenue tickets to many places are insane. If I were living in the US I might have a different take, but Air Canada slashes their prices south of the border to entice those people to transit via canada. That same flight ex-canada is 2-3x the price. So using miles to transit via the US and then fly works for me, so does J on NH/BR/AC especially when there's no surcharges like with AP.

So yea, maybe for him, these miles don't make sense but for me I think they might.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
He said "within asia" not that I'm defending him. I think there's a value here. I don't know all the inns and outs of LM, I'm pretty sure there's no stopovers, but I get good value from my AP miles using stopovers and flying the airlines I WANT to fly. Also, I like to be able to include <24 hour layovers which often aren't really possible on revenue tickets. Plus living in Canada, the revenue tickets to many places are insane. If I were living in the US I might have a different take, but Air Canada slashes their prices south of the border to entice those people to transit via canada. That same flight ex-canada is 2-3x the price. So using miles to transit via the US and then fly works for me, so does J on NH/BR/AC especially when there's no surcharges like with AP.

So yea, maybe for him, these miles don't make sense but for me I think they might.
Yup. Also, MUCH easier to find great deals out of YYZ than my local hub at JFK! Few airlines deeply discount their flagship routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.