Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2x1 is back!, But now with more miles!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
@model_un - most of the regular posters on this forum joined LM and got on the "buy miles" bandwagon some years ago - when miles were cheaper to buy, redemptions required fewer miles and there were many (generous) loopholes in the program. (and for Australian residents it was particularly attractive as the $A was at or close to USD parity for some time - and J/F paid fares ex-OZ were extremely high with few special deals). Alas, LM closed the loopholes and generally "enhanced" their program to make it much less attractive (but of course so did other FF programs).

So you asked about LM vs MileagePlus - the major benefit was (and to some extent still is) buying miles is cheaper with redemption rates not dis-similar to UA (depends on the route of course). Also - cancelling an LM award was only $50 - now it's $200.

So I believe most longtime LM members (who use the program to buy miles) would recommend extreme caution before investing in miles - not only with Avianca's financial situation but also the program keeps getting worse (not just documented devaluations but availability on some *A carriers is no longer available (even though seats show up on other *A programs) and possible routings reducing) and the very buggy web site which keeps getting worse. As for an award chart - I don't think LM publish one any longer but if you Google "LifeMiles Award Chart" - some of the popular FF bloggers have posts on this subject which you might find useful.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by model_un
pschaefer None... the worst year of my life... hahaha I need to update the info. TAAG started service a month after I got there. I would fly them to Luanda, and from there had a few options. Mostly took Lufthansa. But often TAP, Ethiopian, South African, and Brussels.
South African is in critical financial shape, try to avoid them for now.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:36 pm

Any Canadians on the forum who can please clarify if tax is charged when buying Lifemiles? Planning a small purchase (yes there are risks!) and wanted to clarify.
Have seen on some sites they do, but answers are mixed.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by DrSE
I bought some miles and can see them in my History now but it says Balance 0 Does it take time to have them available?
How long did it take for your balance to update? I'm in the same boat.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Mine updated in less than a day.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Mine updated in less than a day.
Thanks, mine finally did as well. Took a full day for me.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Back by popular demand? Singles promotion 3x (200%) bonus miles promo is back! Nov 10th-15th only.
The bonus applies as follows: for purchases from 1,000 – 200,000 LifeMiles receive 3x1, for example, for the purchase of LM 1,000 you receive LM 3,000.
The minimum miles to purchase per transaction is 1,000 LM and maximum is 200,000 LM.
Additionally, the maximum miles that a member can receive during the promotion, including applicable bonuses is 600,000 miles, minus the miles that the member has previously purchased in 2020 and their respective bonuses.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Back by popular demand? Singles promotion 3x (200%) bonus miles promo is back! Nov 10th-15th only.
The bonus applies as follows: for purchases from 1,000 – 200,000 LifeMiles receive 3x1, for example, for the purchase of LM 1,000 you receive LM 3,000.
The minimum miles to purchase per transaction is 1,000 LM and maximum is 200,000 LM.
Additionally, the maximum miles that a member can receive during the promotion, including applicable bonuses is 600,000 miles, minus the miles that the member has previously purchased in 2020 and their respective bonuses.
I’m not seeing any bonus whatsoever
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:34 pm

Does anyone have recent experience booking a J flight on Asiana using Lifemiles? I'm interested in buying miles for a future (April 2021) J flight.

I'm fairly new to this, but interested in flying ICN-LAX (one way) in April 2021 (LAX-TYO-ICN will be handled differently). I see some J availability, but what are the risks? Even if the award flight is booked, can Asiana cancel and leave me stuck with the points?

Just wondering what other experiences people have had with Lifemiles and Asiana, or if I should steer clear and use a different program. Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by JLC85
Does anyone have recent experience booking a J flight on Asiana using Lifemiles? I'm interested in buying miles for a future (April 2021) J flight.

I'm fairly new to this, but interested in flying ICN-LAX (one way) in April 2021 (LAX-TYO-ICN will be handled differently). I see some J availability, but what are the risks? Even if the award flight is booked, can Asiana cancel and leave me stuck with the points?

Just wondering what other experiences people have had with Lifemiles and Asiana, or if I should steer clear and use a different program. Thank you in advance!
I don't think the risks are that much higher with LM than any other program. Of course Asiana can cancel the flight or suspend the route. And you'll be stuck with the miles, but that's the same for any program. There is an added risk of Avianca's bankruptcy. If that affects Lifemiles, I guess there is the risk Asiana could cancel the ticket.

I'd probably not buy Lifemiles just to redeem Asiana. Especially if you don't want to get stuck with the miles. No guarantees the flights will be there when you go to book.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska
The risk just gets lower as lifemiles starts to refund tax for award tickets.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Apparently targeted. I am not seeing that option when I try to buy miles (wonder what I did to upset the LM )
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Apparently targeted. I am not seeing that option when I try to buy miles (wonder what I did to upset the LM )
I wasn't targeted but bonus showed up after registering using the link on OMAAT https://onemileatatime.com/buy-lifemiles/
tr3k likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I booked two NH J tickets, and one J/F ticket last week, with miles I bought earlier this year, and had no problems flying it this week.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Today, I received email regarding 200% bonus miles purchase. It says you can purchase any mile between 1,000 and 200,000 and get 200% bonus.
The bonus period ends on December 3. If you go LM website, you may be able to see the same deal though I am not sure.

michaelmorio
tr3k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.