Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2x1 is back!, But now with more miles!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
there is SQ. I redeemed suite awards on SQ with lifemiles.
Actually, you are right - I completely forgot. I had an SQ award booked NYC-SIN-SYD early this year (but canceled it just in time, when it looked like Singapore may shut down travel)
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Pray tell, sectors/ dates? Thanks
IIRC there were flights to DEL/BOM that were treated as 'regional' and eligible for redemption. Some of those flights were operated by A380s. There may have been others as well. Long haul I haven't seen offered through LM's website.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Sep 13, 2020 at 5:24 pm Reason: spellin
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Pray tell, sectors/ dates? Thanks
I flew SQ suite on AKL-SIN this March, redeemed last year.

just be patient and wait for SQ to make available its suites to all partners mistakenly.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
SQ was certainly available for some segments earlier this year. I had both SQ and BR on a ticket in August, until both of them canceled flights.

I miss BR the most for awards. I’m hoping to fly Asia-West coast next month, but seeing a lot of AC segments through YVR.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I definitely saw SQ J availability last summer when looking at BKK-SIN-TPE/NRT. I did not end up booking though as I found flights on BR
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kq747
I definitely saw SQ J availability last summer when looking at BKK-SIN-TPE/NRT. I did not end up booking though as I found flights on BR
SQ has historically released intra-Asia premium award space to partners. However, these flights aren't considered long-haul.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Another round starting today.
get up to 200% bonus when you buy miles at the best price ever!
I was looking at buying with this promotion... 600k miles for $6.6k is a very very good deal in my books. However while I'd like to pull the trigger and make a booking right now... a lot of airlines aren't offering their *A partners awards redemption right (like SQ) and/or have completely or severely curtailed awards booking. So that (I don't want a huge pile of miles just sitting in my account) plus the bankruptcy has me quite worried.

For people who are more familiar with Avianca than I am... if I was to redeem by say Dec 2020 or at the very worst case - early 2021... should I buy these miles? Or is it way too risky right now?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I was looking at buying with this promotion... 600k miles for $6.6k is a very very good deal in my books. However while I'd like to pull the trigger and make a booking right now... a lot of airlines aren't offering their *A partners awards redemption right (like SQ) and/or have completely or severely curtailed awards booking. So that (I don't want a huge pile of miles just sitting in my account) plus the bankruptcy has me quite worried.

For people who are more familiar with Avianca than I am... if I was to redeem by say Dec 2020 or at the very worst case - early 2021... should I buy these miles? Or is it way too risky right now?
by ‘redeem by Dec 2020’ - do you mean have flown the award tickets, or simply have them ticketed for the future, for August 2021 for example?

tbh nobody knows what’s going to happen. I would think that the sooner you could fly your itinerary, the safer it would be.

looking at bigger airlines like BA, they’ve obviously been worried enough to have offered a 75% bonus (unheard of) on purchased miles a couple of months ago. Now back to the usual 50%.

virgin offered an extremely attractive miles booster option back in April or so.

and both have weathered the storm, for now.

it could turn out no problem for Avianca, but I would think apart from the risk of their bankruptcy, like you say is the worry as to how this affects their partner airlines. Their own financial situations going forward may result in them limiting their offerings to partners for the foreseeable? Then.. where to use them? Just a thought.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Tofino87
by ‘redeem by Dec 2020’ - do you mean have flown the award tickets, or simply have them ticketed for the future, for August 2021 for example?
Thanks for your reply. I meant ticketed not flown. Of course the earlier you ticket and fly the better but I'm not very keen to fly with family till things in the world have somewhat returned to normal.

But does anyone have any idea how the bankruptcy proceedings are going? Are they going to looking to fly again with some restructuring or being sold as a whole or in pieces....
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
Hi all, so I'm seeing a 3x1 promotion through 9/25. Targetted email. I've never considered buying miles from them... but hmm could be interesting.
Now, I do have a questions... looking at the rules it says "El monto máximo de millas a recibir por un socio en un año calendario es LM 200,000 (incluyendo millas compradas y bonos recibidos)." or "The maximum amount of miles a member can receive in a calendar year is LM 200,000 (including miles purchased and bonuses received)."
So how do you get up to LM 600,000?
Thanks,
FF
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by model_un
Hi all, so I'm seeing a 3x1 promotion through 9/25. Targetted email. I've never considered buying miles from them... but hmm could be interesting.
Now, I do have a questions... looking at the rules it says "El monto máximo de millas a recibir por un socio en un año calendario es LM 200,000 (incluyendo millas compradas y bonos recibidos)." or "The maximum amount of miles a member can receive in a calendar year is LM 200,000 (including miles purchased and bonuses received)."
Thanks,
FF
Limits are temporarily lifted when they have promotions like these. The 'max 200,000' has been around for ever.

(If you are new to the LM game, I'd suggest not purchasing, at least until after covid when we know what is happening with the airline and it's FF program.)
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by model_un
Thanks,
FF
Hey - I gotta ask which *A airlines fly to Dundo, Angola?
model_un likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by pschafer
Hey - I gotta ask which *A airlines fly to Dundo, Angola?
As far as I know, none. Only TAAG and Fly Angola offer service to Dundo.
model_un likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:31 pm

pschaefer None... the worst year of my life... hahaha I need to update the info. TAAG started service a month after I got there. I would fly them to Luanda, and from there had a few options. Mostly took Lufthansa. But often TAP, Ethiopian, South African, and Brussels.

So now I'm stationed in Colombia, so getting the miles is a little more palatable. I could conceivable use them for flights, but also for hotels and such in Colombia.
I was in Colombia for 6 months before being pulled out due to COVID. I'll be returning soon... But even during those months, even though I flew every other week, I never earned one LM. Everything went into MileagePlus, to keep the 1K. The changes that UNITED instituted in the fall, were actually pretty good for me. So now... what to do... A few hundred thousand LM could be interesting.

If you had one benefit to mention (versus MileagePlus)?

Thanks, FF
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:43 pm

What really riles me, is the website and the difficulty in finding basic info, like mileage cost for flights. And the website is less than user friendly on booking... is there a place where you can see the current mileage charts? and who is accepting what, were. For instance, very important for me is Colombia to Germany. And other long-hauls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.