FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo-716/)
-   -   LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo/1580174-lm-f-j-routes-occasional-trick-rebooted-v2-0-a.html)

oliver2002 May 26, 2014 8:47 am

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Felow Lifemile enthusiasts,

following a rather nasty turn in the previous thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...nal-trick.html

The senior mods (who have the pleasure of moderating this corner of FT) decided to reboot the thread and start afresh.

So... share away, in whatever trick(y) language you can find. Keep in mind that this is FT, and while sharing (of opinions, tricks, ideas, opinions etc) is explicitly desired and allowed, one simple rule applies:

If you don't have anything to say on the topic, just don't say it.

Talking about others, the ethics or it all and similar personal things remains off topic and will be deleted.

So trick away!

Regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod

Pseudo Nim May 26, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks for restarting the thread. I saw the other one got locked, and was concerned we would lose this thread entirely, though I suspect there may be somewhat less to discuss in it now, but nevertheless - it is valuable to continue this discussion.

lsed May 26, 2014 9:04 am

So I'm still seeing some availability C5 at good value though Airport taxes is rather exorbitant.

I'm wondering when the guillotine will fall on the piano teacher

Pseudo Nim May 26, 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 22926440)
So I'm still seeing some availability C5 at good value though YQ is rather exorbitant.

I'm wondering when the guillotine will fall on the piano teacher

How can you be seeing YQ when YQ is not levied by LM?

lsed May 26, 2014 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 22926445)
How can you be seeing YQ when YQ is not levied by LM?

Airport taxes I meant!

TheBOSman May 26, 2014 9:18 am

LM is a bit weird with the airport taxes in some places (but of course LM is weird with almost everything, that's why we are here no?). One of the no longer working boomerangs I looked at using, charged taxes at my connection point as though I was originating there. It wasn't an error with the airport, as doing a more linear connection gave a more accurate accounting of the taxes. I wonder if something similar is happening here?

And probably a good idea to do a thread reboot at this point.

JohnnyColombia May 26, 2014 10:40 am

I am not seeing any changes at all. I have never tried to fly cabbages though with a layover at a Straßenbahnhaltestelle.

All the "interesting" routes that I hoped to book are still there including chainy bears and cool C3 routes.

Simon1 May 26, 2014 11:17 am

my question was the last in the old thread so I will repeat:

I would like to be advised if in the current situation with LM is a good idea to buy miles + bonuses, it's another 6 days to go.

mlqsko May 26, 2014 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Simon1 (Post 22927119)

I would like to be advised if in the current situation with LM is a good idea to buy miles + bonuses, it's another 6 days to go.

Rule of the thumb is to buy and redeem immediately. If you see flights that are of interest to you and are available, buy and book asap.

JohnnyColombia May 26, 2014 11:21 am

Nobody can possibly know the answer to this in terms of where you see value in LM, how averse to risk you are and what are the chances of LM reducing the value that you currently find in the programme.

AirCanada881 May 26, 2014 11:25 am

Alot of the big baby boomers are gone between C3P0 and R2C2

TheBOSman May 26, 2014 11:55 am

Yeah, I wouldn't dare buy miles at this point unless I was booking something near immediately or knew something would be readily available. We are in a period of great uncertainty.

oliver2002 May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

LM is still great value even without tricks. But there are sudden devaluations possible anytime, so only buy and book.

yerffej201 May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Also make sure that there isn't any phantom availability, as that may be the case with some routes on LM.

AirCanada881 May 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Problem is most of the good stuff is released a few days before departure, ahh so much pressure!!!

yerffej201 May 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 22927514)
Problem is most of the good stuff is released a few days before departure, ahh so much pressure!!!

Thankfully at the normal rates the prices are still fairly acceptable.

LH4116 May 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Not sure whether this is the right thread to ask this question. Anyways should I be worried about violating cabotage with a booking C1-C3-C2?

mlqsko May 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 22927643)
Not sure whether this is the right thread to ask this question. Anyways should I be worried about violating cabotage with a booking C1-C3-C2?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...trick-169.html

Pseudo Nim May 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 22927643)

No cabotage in this case. Only if you do CountryA-xxx-xxx-xxx-CountryA and do not stop anywhere on route (so for instance, JFK-YYZ-ORD or something like that). C1-C3-C2 doesn't fall into cabotage at all. Cabotage doesn't mean "depart country 1, go through an unrelated country 2 to get to country 3" - it means "depart country 1, go through some unrelated country/ies, and end up back in country 1".

mlqsko May 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 22927658)
No cabotage in this case. Only if you do CountryA-xxx-xxx-xxx-CountryA and do not stop anywhere on route (so for instance, JFK-YYZ-ORD or something like that). C1-C3-C2 doesn't fall into cabotage at all. Cabotage doesn't mean "depart country 1, go through an unrelated country 2 to get to country 3" - it means "depart country 1, go through some unrelated country/ies, and end up back in country 1".

We need a sticky one. Hopefully you don't mind that I put your response in the Wiki.

Pseudo Nim May 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko (Post 22927661)
We need a sticky one. Hopefully you don't mind that I put your response in the Wiki.

Oops, I think we both just edited the wiki at the same time :D

mlqsko May 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 22927685)
Oops, I think we both just edited the wiki at the same time :D

Yeah. Maybe add the countries it applies to as they are not all, afaik? US for sure and there was a report about Australia?

"One notable exception is the European Union, whose members all grant cabotage rights to each other"

LH4116 May 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 22927658)

That's good to hear. I plan on using all the segments to the final ticketed destination so hopefully it should be kosher.

BrewerSEA May 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko (Post 22927714)
Yeah. Maybe add the countries it applies to as they are not all, afaik? US for sure and there was a report about Australia?

"One notable exception is the European Union, whose members all grant cabotage rights to each other"

A list of exceptions is much shorter than a list of all countries that restrict cabotage @:-)

jfkcnf May 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Not that it matters anymore, but I was able to drink some Veen this weekend using the old trick.

Deltahater May 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 22926914)
I am not seeing any changes at all. I have never tried to fly cabbages though with a layover at a Straßenbahnhaltestelle.

All the "interesting" routes that I hoped to book are still there including chainy bears and cool C3 routes.

Have you clicked through?

JohnnyColombia May 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 22928312)
Have you clicked through?

I had not checked, so I just did, and yes I can, or at least I can click as far as is possible without buying it.

TheBOSman May 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 22928496)
I had not checked, so I just did, and yes I can, or at least I can click as far as is possible without buying it.

Think you might have a couple terms mixed up?

Anyway, there's still a good amount available despite the recent attention, such as the ursa and the footrest (and yes I am attempting to further the coding in this thread starting now). It is interesting to me what remains available as well. I have a few things to check on when I return home that are difficult to do from just a phone, but hopefully they are still available as well.

Maayan May 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 22929666)
Anyway, there's still a good amount available despite the recent attention, such as the ursa and the footrest (and yes I am attempting to further the coding in this thread starting now).

"footrest" gives out a very focused location. That's "further the coding"? Pseudo Nim's term is cleverly looking us in the eye without being apparent, and WWE's term is a fantastic progression from that.

"ursa" translates directly into a current term that's used here extensively, so does not make better coding either.

Sorry... thumbs down to both...

JessicaTam May 26, 2014 11:22 pm

I am slowly getting the hang of the coding. Is there a primer somewhere? ;)

To answer the question regarding purchasing LMs or not: I keep some in my account incase a share offer comes up, and usually purchase a few when on sale as I normally would be able to make use of them in the next few months anyway.

zagy May 27, 2014 12:56 am

Originally Posted by JessicaTam (Post 22930005)
I am slowly getting the hang of the coding. Is there a primer somewhere? ;)

The coding won't do you a lot of good anymore... Lots of stuff got fixed thanks to... well... read the other thread

TheBOSman May 27, 2014 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Maayan (Post 22929915)
"footrest" gives out a very focused location. That's "further the coding"? Pseudo Nim's term is cleverly looking us in the eye without being apparent, and WWE's term is a fantastic progression from that.

"ursa" translates directly into a current term that's used here extensively, so does not make better coding either.

Sorry... thumbs down to both...

The key word is "attempt". Remember, you actually know both so they seem easy to you. The coding doesn't matter for people who know. I'm attempting to move a step away from what is used. It doesn't affect now, it hopefully affects pages from now. But really, I could call them "the birds" and "the bees" and as long as I told enough people that was the new code, then we could use that.

I shall simply go with plan B, which is an unsubscribe, stop posting, go to my private forum, and continue the FT brain drain. Especially considering we have someone who has turned himself into a troll here, the discussion will be too easily derailed until people stop responding to him. Good luck y'all, I got a lot of Krug and caviar to go drink and eat :).

JessicaTam, give me some time to get home and get unjetlagged ;). Surprised the other discussion isn't better though? I haven't checked in in a while unfortunately.

JessicaTam May 27, 2014 1:42 am

Originally Posted by zagy (Post 22930224)
The coding won't do you a lot of good anymore... Lots of stuff got fixed thanks to... well... read the other thread

The last few pages of the other thread was very depressing, but I won't revisit that.

There are still some LM tricks/miscoded cities still around that need to be protected.

zagy May 27, 2014 3:54 am

I don't know really... After all the hiding, secrets, PMs about revealing too much, even blog posts, it was ultimately a DOT complaint that killed it, so ...

AirCanada881 May 27, 2014 3:58 am

For anyone seeking non tricked J availability on SQ, I've noticed that many seats are opened less than 7 days before departure.

FrugalLuxury May 27, 2014 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 22930644)
For anyone seeking non tricked J availability on SQ, I've noticed that many seats are opened less than 7 days before departure.

Is that intra-Asia only or long-haul as well?

AirCanada881 May 27, 2014 4:30 am

Originally Posted by FrugalLuxury (Post 22930718)
Is that intra-Asia only or long-haul as well?

I've seen both, routes I looked at, SIN-TYO, SIN-ICN, CDG-SIN

FrugalLuxury May 27, 2014 4:38 am

I've seen both, routes I looked at, SIN-TYO, SIN-ICN, CDG-SIN
Good to know! Thanks :)

WingedWorldExplorer May 27, 2014 6:36 am

I wish we could teach them a lesson, crashing their revenue budget by abstaining from buying. Unfortunately it will not unfix the fixing.

I am not buying anything in this promotion.

zagy May 27, 2014 7:19 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer (Post 22931155)
I wish we could teach them a lesson, crashing their revenue budget by abstaining from buying. Unfortunately it will not unfix the fixing.

I am not buying anything in this promotion.

I agree... Without the tricks, LM is actually a very crappy FFP and wouldn't buy the miles there.
E.g. "no mixed cabin bookings" is now quite a pain for me. Trying to redeem 2 F tickets for FRA-JFK/YYZ/IAD. Because of this, I would have to buy a separate one way ticket to FRA with the cost of about 150/200€.