Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Free bags on XS-fares with non-Avianca/Lifemiles Star Alliance gold card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:12 am
Original Poster

I will soon fly to Colombia and I will need to fly domestically and internationally. Will my Aegean Star Alliance gold card give me any free bags if I choose Avianca's XS-fare (the cheap fare that doesn't even include a regular carry-on bag)?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drvb
I will soon fly to Colombia and I will need to fly domestically and internationally. Will my Aegean Star Alliance gold card give me any free bags if I choose Avianca's XS-fare (the cheap fare that doesn't even include a regular carry-on bag)?
Not sure if you have done that already. I would like to know as well. Will be traveling within Colombia, I would fly Avianca if SA Gold gives me free checked bag on XS fares.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LisaH
Not sure if you have done that already. I would like to know as well. Will be traveling within Colombia, I would fly Avianca if SA Gold gives me free checked bag on XS fares.
I chose to fly with Copa instead because I know how frustrating it can be to argue with check-in staff. So, unfortunately I can't help you.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
I chose to fly with Copa instead because I know how frustrating it can be to argue with check-in staff. So, unfortunately I can't help you.
Thanks. When I did the Google flights search, COPA didn’t come up. Is it too early for next Jan?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LisaH
Thanks. When I did the Google flights search, COPA didn’t come up. Is it too early for next Jan?
Copa is a Panama-based airline and I flew internationally (USA-Colombia), not domestically within Colombia. If you want to find alternatives to Avianca for domestic flights, try e.g. www.kayak.com
Old May 8, 2022, 11:32 pm

Are there any news regarding free bags on XS-fares for *G?
Old May 11, 2022, 11:59 am

Just got an information from Avianca. Free luggage in S fare, but not in XS fare: https://www.avianca.com/us/en/experi.../our-benefits/
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:56 pm

Programs: Air France KLM Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Elite
Terms and conditions benefits Avianca
11. Additional baggage in Economy and Executive Cabin:
Depending on your Elite status, you are entitled to additional baggage allowance according to the fare purchased (Does not apply with Size XS).
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

This thread Non AV *G privileges on Columbia routes contains some related information.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I think the previous reports/posts in the other thread suggested that S A Gold /Elite would also be get a free checked bag even when on XS fare. But no first hand experience.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: Air France KLM Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Elite
This thread Non AV *G privileges on Columbia routes contains some related information.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I think the previous reports/posts in the other thread suggested that S A Gold /Elite would also be get a free checked bag even when on XS fare. But no first hand experience.
Thanks, guys. I guess, the info I found only talks about Avianca Elites. I stand corrected and pleasantly surprised, as I can stick to booking XS fares as a TK M&S Elite+ member.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
OK. Please report back if you experience issues getting a free checked bag when on a XS fare, as this issue is interesting for many of us.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
OK. Please report back if you experience issues getting a free checked bag when on a XS fare, as this issue is interesting for many of us.
I will. You'll have to be patient with me, though. The flights are planned in December 2023, January and March 2024...
Old May 15, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
In Colombia now and had a few flights on AV while I was here. Probably too much flying around for a short trip!

Ticket 1: Bought tickets w Points. Checked in with Kiosk at Bogota airport and after adding my UA*S number, I could select seats in the first 3 rows which are kinda like business class. Win! I think it came with a checked bag but I carried on both my bags.

Ticket 2: Bought w points. Forgot to add my UA# when I did online check-in, didn't seem possible after that. Check-in agents were not able to upgrade me. "Only diamond" whatever that means.

Ticket 3: Bought XS fare with cash. Added my UA# in my reservation. Didn't do online check-in, went to the Kiosk and no problem selecting the up-front seats for both the flights.

Ticket "4": I'm pretty sure end of last year that I was able to select one of those first few row seats on my United ticket back home when I did online check-in. Since the Kiosk def did work, and the agents def didn't work, I didn't want to chance it with online check-in as I had 2 flights and one was long (haha 1.5 hrs in Colombia is about as long as you get).

Next time I'll have to brave the online check-in to see how that works. Interesting that there does seem to be a loophole, or perhaps the check-in agents just don't know. I am not complaining, the "biz" class seats are def more comfy. Doesn't seem to come with any other perk besides the space.
Old May 17, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Ticket 2: Bought w points. Forgot to add my UA# when I did online check-in, didn't seem possible after that. Check-in agents were not able to upgrade me. "Only diamond" whatever that means.
Correct, you cant add it once you've checked in, your only option is to go to the check in counter and ask them to add it for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.