Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by KRS
Is there a way to specify specific carriers without having to resort to all in Star Alliance?

Very often I can find flights I want by specifying one specific carrier, but these same flights don't show up when specifying Star Alliance; certainly not when adding a "feeder" flight where the specific carrier does not operate...

Now I can tweak the departure times (thanks to a post in the old thread ^), but have so far been unable to search for flights from/to an airport where the specific carrier does not operate so I am not sure of what results that might produce (if any).

Finally, I have been looking into some 2 segment itineraries where availability (in C) is not an issue when searching segments separately; however when searching both flights only Y shows up; is this normal behaviour by the website? married segment logic, or something else? Note: the origin and destination are relatively close...

All suggestions welcome!
No, you cannot specify carriers. Specifying an airport not in the carriers list works in theory the exact same way as changing the departure time; but you'll need to have some familiarity with DOM to avoid the search erroring out (just see what happens, i.e. what changes in the DOM, when you type in a regular airport)...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Sep 23, 2014 at 4:26 pm Reason: Better answered by Scibuff above.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:05 pm

Woho, finally found some LH F again but almost all routes are dead of course.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:03 pm

i don't think there is any non-tricked lh f around?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:49 pm
KRS

Originally Posted by scibuff
No, you cannot specify carriers. Specifying an airport not in the carriers list works in theory the exact same way as changing the departure time; but you'll need to have some familiarity with DOM to avoid the search erroring out (just see what happens, i.e. what changes in the DOM, when you type in a regular airport)...
Thanks! ^
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: -
Originally Posted by scibuff
Yeap, I posted how to do that in detail; just search through my posts and you'll find it
Haha that was indeed a lot of detail, only missing the arrows so you can become a blogger thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I can't find OZ F anymore even when it should be available in October. For that matter, a large amount of OZ J and OZ Y either. Verified on ANA and UA that it isn't phantom space in all of the classes. Not a tricked route or anything, a straightforward ICN-USA route.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:52 pm

It comes and goes and no one knows why. Try again tomorrow.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I can't find OZ F anymore even when it should be available in October. For that matter, a large amount of OZ J and OZ Y either. Verified on ANA and UA that it isn't phantom space in all of the classes. Not a tricked route or anything, a straightforward ICN-USA route.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wpast
It comes and goes and no one knows why. Try again tomorrow.
Thought so, thanks for the confirmation. I figured it couldn't be a blocking issue, even SQ doesn't block economy. Probably OZ's award availability link to the *A hub is a bit iffy.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Thought so, thanks for the confirmation. I figured it couldn't be a blocking issue, even SQ doesn't block economy. Probably OZ's award availability link to the *A hub is a bit iffy.
I wrote a piece of this lumpy (non-contiguous and non-random) pattern a few weeks ago. I have a feeling that the various carriers from time to time do Batch processing, i.e manually release lumps of availabilities, for time period(s) where their booking calendars seem thin, ie. actual bookings at that particular point in time are below the historical booking pattern for those flight(s) .
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
I wrote a piece of this lumpy (non-contiguous and non-random) pattern a few weeks ago. I have a feeling that the various carriers from time to time do Batch processing, i.e manually release lumps of availabilities, for time period(s) where their booking calendars seem thin, ie. actual bookings at that particular point in time are below the historical booking pattern for those flight(s) .
Seems logical and in line with what I've been monitoring on some routes in the past 8 weeks.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
From my experience with heavily researching one particular non-*A carrier (not partnered with LM in any way), I know (as much as can be known without sitting in on the process in person) that some airlines do it this way. My issue was that the space is showing on ANA and UA award searches, rather broadly, but was not on LM, for OZ awards. Will check again all weekend of course, I've got tickets to book .
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
noobie here... read through all these posts. first, want to say thanks to everyone that contributed, it wasn't clear for several hours but ultimately super helpful.

I have identified award space using ANA tool, but cannot see space on LM. Is there a way to force a particular *a airline? or perhaps another way to get LM to show such space. It appears the destination won't register when I choose that airline from the dropdown, but the destination is allowed when I select use *a carriers. Would love some hints if I am missing something...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by lrphillips
noobie here... read through all these posts. first, want to say thanks to everyone that contributed, it wasn't clear for several hours
you're superfast then!
but ultimately super helpful.

I have identified award space using ANA tool, but cannot see space on LM.
Typical. Welcome to Lifemiles
Is there a way to force a particular *a airline? or perhaps another way to get LM to show such space. It appears the destination won't register when I choose that airline from the dropdown, but the destination is allowed when I select use *a carriers. Would love some hints if I am missing something...
As for missing airports, use another airport and then change the POST data via tamperdata or a proxy like burpsuite.
Forget fiddling around with the input page's javascript, too complex when it comes to airports.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:14 am
KRS

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
(...)As for missing airports, use another airport and then change the POST data(...)
Thanks for this tip. ^
Is there a scenario where this is useful though? I tried specifying a carrier and then setting an origin it does not serve; this returns no results (as one might expect, though I was hoping for different behaviour).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.