Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by work2fly
Has anyone had success with Jeff Air short checking bags on the wood cutter?

I read the posts up thread, but there are also a multitude of other threads on Jeffy's forum that says short checking is pretty much verboten unless you have a long layover, which I don't think we do at 5 or so hours.

The determination of this is somewhat important as my ticket is one way A-B-C but I need to get to D. If I can get my bags, I'll buy a ticket B-D, if not, I'll need a C-D ticket, but will likely need to spend the night at C.

I know the safe answer is to assume 'no' and just plan to fly all segments on the tricked ticket. However, I'm traveling with my wife and kids, so I'd prefer to avoid the extra travel time and an overnight.

A friend of mine went against my advice and asked for his bags back at CDG while at check in. They refused and said that there was no chance due to the short connection and that he would have to contact avianca to cancel his last segment as they would not be able to short check. YMMV
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: TK Elite
Short checking your bags on a short connection will definitely raise suspicion. I'm going to attempt it next month but my connection is almost 4 hours so I am hoping it will go through okay.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The usual suspect of C2-C3 is not working. Is that finished? Would anyone be kind enough to advise other options via PM. I know there might be one or two after the devaluation but needed one now and the one that works is a little to spicy for me.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2fly View Post
If I can get my bags, I'll buy a ticket B-D, if not, I'll need a C-D ticket, but will likely need to spend the night at C.
elva
What a strange question. You can always get your bags, they will not fly without you (for security reasons). You can request them at any connecting airport even if they were checked further. They are your property after all, aren't they?
Love your answer. Great "to-the-point" logical German answer to a convoluted question. Warum Alles so Einfach machen wenn man alles so schön kompliziert machen kann.

Only problem: If the connection is short there will/may be a substantial interruption/delay in flight operations as already loaded luggage has to be identified and returned. I have done it a few times but it is kind of a selfish tactic.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Oct 2, 2014 at 10:17 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps it really is so simple.

Given the 5 hour layover, I guess there's a decent chance we can get the bags short checked. If not, I guess there's plenty of time to get them once we land.

I'm guessing we would need to make this request at the airlines transit desk, prior to clearing customs?

I suspect this too will be called out as a convoluted question with a simple answer
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by elva
What a strange question. You can always get your bags, they will not fly without you (for security reasons). You can request them at any connecting airport even if they were checked further. They are your property after all, aren't they?
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Love your answer. Great "to-the-point" logical German answer to a convoluted question. Warum Alles so Einfach machen wenn man alles so schön kompliziert machen kann.

Only problem: If the connection is short there will/may be a substantial interruption/delay in flight operations as already loaded luggage has to be identified and returned. I have done it a few times but it is kind of a selfish tactic.
Also, it is not 100% correct, especially within the EU (and intra europe flights), I've missed my connections several times and was told my bags made the connection and would be awaiting me at the destination.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
The usual suspect of C2-C3 is not working. Is that finished? Would anyone be kind enough to advise other options via PM. I know there might be one or two after the devaluation but needed one now and the one that works is a little to spicy for me.
Anyone?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Anyone?
Check with Putin
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
I really wonder how their miles sale went this time.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zagy
I really wonder how their miles sale went this time.
POORLY. Very poorly I think. Out of 15 people I know who previously bought, not single one including myself bought any
Only reason to buy would be if you have 0 miles or just need to top off.

Chances for a triple-mile offer repeat increases for each "failed" sale imo.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Oct 5, 2014 at 5:28 am
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
POORLY.Very poorly I think. Out of 15 people I know who previously bought, not single one includin myself bought any
Ojly reason to buy would be if you have 0 miles or just need to top off. Chances for a triple offer repeat increases for each "failed" sale imo.
The fact that they extended it ought to tell you something, someone probably missed their numbers.

I bought though, but I was at 0. Already booking them down as we speak .
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Retrieved checked through bags yesterday on woodcutter Sausage land, no problem.. did so T-2 hours or so also got F seats.. If the crew weren't so terrible, would have been a great trip..
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: TK Elite
I also bought miles but a 3 x 1 offer would be great!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:33 am

ANA showed seats on LH in F, couldn't find it in LM.
Is there a way to book it?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The fact that they extended it ought to tell you something, someone probably missed their numbers.

I bought though, but I was at 0. Already booking them down as we speak .
Yes for a "LifeMileVirgin" to purchase beginner miles makes a lot of sense in order to get the show on the road. You hit it right on the nail about missing numbers. Revenue from mileage sales is a nice semi-controllable way to create revenue and window dress the quarterly P&L. Certainly more manageable than hoping that enough passengers will fill your seats. Miss revenue projections a couple of times and the pressure on management is on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.