Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: TK Elite
Not a trick but TG F is available from C3N to C2
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
and SQ AKL-FRA at .... rate
But the reverse is not true, correct?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
But the reverse is not true, correct?
Not with discount.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: *G at A3,TK;M&M,LM; IHG RA, AB Plat.
Originally Posted by scibuff
Simply not true, LHR and CDG seems problematic but many others works just fine from C2 all the way to C6
I tried some C6->C3 connections with TG, especially SYD->TPE.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Free agent
Is it possible to book on SQ or Air New Zealand anymore in C? I have searched through the old threads and see mentions of T-14 for SQ bookings but the inventory I see on ANA doesn't show up on the LifeMiles site even at T-14. Same with Air New Zealand. Attempting to book SIN-MEL/SYD or SIN-AKL. Is this a situation that requires a call to book?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by jmail1
Is it possible to book on SQ or Air New Zealand anymore in C? I have searched through the old threads and see mentions of T-14 for SQ bookings but the inventory I see on ANA doesn't show up on the LifeMiles site even at T-14. Same with Air New Zealand. Attempting to book SIN-MEL/SYD or SIN-AKL. Is this a situation that requires a call to book?
Up thread, someone mentioned playing with reversed married segments - perhaps, if you can't find A-B, look for A-B-C. There was a similar comment to a VFTW post a few days ago that observed the same thing.

I haven't confirmed - you may be looking at a lot of trial and error, or maybe someone will throw you a bone.

Just don't ask about short checking bags...that kills deals apparently
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
Up thread, someone mentioned playing with reversed married segments - perhaps, if you can't find A-B, look for A-B-C. There was a similar comment to a VFTW post a few days ago that observed the same thing.

I haven't confirmed - you may be looking at a lot of trial and error, or maybe someone will throw you a bone.

Just don't ask about short checking bags...that kills deals apparently
Maybe I'm asking incorrectly, I'm not looking for some way of getting awards for less, I'm just looking for getting awards that I can readily book with other Star Alliance currencies. I need to get rid of these LifeMiles!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by jmail1
You MIGHT try e-mailing LM support and requesting that they book it manually assuming the award seat is in fact available to *A (ANA does not show SQ long haul AFAIK and NZ almost never releases C long haul awards). I recommend using Aeroplan (i.e. AC's ff program) to search - I find it very accurate (you can use it directly by joining Aeroplan or using KVS/AC-StarAlliance method).

A friend of mine did this successfully when he could see A-B then B-C separately but not A-B-C (connection was only a couple of hours). LM booked for him then called to go through the payment process over the phone. (Note this was a TG itinerary not SQ but my point is that if it a shortcoming of the booking engine it seems LM are willing to make the booking manually).
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by pschafer
You MIGHT try e-mailing LM support and requesting that they book it manually assuming the award seat is in fact available to *A (ANA does not show SQ long haul AFAIK and NZ almost never releases C long haul awards). I recommend using Aeroplan (i.e. AC's ff program) to search - I find it very accurate (you can use it directly by joining Aeroplan or using KVS/AC-StarAlliance method).

A friend of mine did this successfully when he could see A-B then B-C separately but not A-B-C (connection was only a couple of hours). LM booked for him then called to go through the payment process over the phone. (Note this was a TG itinerary not SQ but my point is that if it a shortcoming of the booking engine it seems LM are willing to make the booking manually).
Thanks. There is no connection on this flight, it's a direct SIN-AKL flight that shows up as available on both United and Aeroplan sites on Air New Zealand. I'll give LM an email to see. Only thing that sucks is that it eats up an entire day, 8:50am departure and 11:00pm arrival. Horrible timing.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:44 pm

UA F

While I understand that F availability has become a rare treasure in LM, UA did not seem to pose a problem so long as the availability existed.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that booking requests on UA metal from the Europe to the West Coast would yield Avianca's weird pricing algorithm and not return any availability. UA flights from Europe to the East Coast did not seem to be affected. However, the same booking issue is present with all East Coast routes also now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is UA F now also gone / blocked? Business UA availability seems to be showing up correctly.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:54 am

F availability is not a treasure on LM, LH F yes, SQ F yes but lots of airlines have F availability here.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nssfly
Has anyone else experienced this? Is UA F now also gone / blocked?
Most of it was booked 2 days ago
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Seats are already released.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
F availability is not a treasure on LM, LH F yes, SQ F yes but lots of airlines have F availability here.
Could you please kindly elaborate then why UA is not showing? Is this an isolated incident that will resolve itself? Availability continues to not show up on LM, even though its there at saver levels for more than one seat when booking on UA.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by nssfly
Could you please kindly elaborate then why UA is not showing? Is this an isolated incident that will resolve itself? Availability continues to not show up on LM, even though its there at saver levels for more than one seat when booking on UA.
I cannot speak for UA F, I have never searched for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.