FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo-716/)
-   -   Hidden city booking with Avianca (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo/1511790-hidden-city-booking-avianca.html)

mx2 Oct 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Hidden city booking with Avianca

Hi! I want to go from Bogota (Colombia) to La Paz (Bolivia), and have found that it's cheaper to buy a flight to Lima that happens to connect in La Paz. Presumably, as long as I don't check any luggage, I could just get off at La Paz then? Do you see any problems with this? I realize that the flight may get rerouted, etc, and am willing to take that risk, but am more concerned about any issues with Bolivian immigration or Avianca penalizing me somehow?

JohnnyColombia Oct 13, 2013 5:31 pm

I cannot see you getting into too much trouble with this. Plus segment 1 will be Avianca and segment 2 will be TACA Perú pretending to be Avianca. I cannot even see the two airlines "talking" to each other.

I have done similar MIA BOG UIO, with a 10 hour layover in BOG. Got off the plane, got my bag and simply went home.

SingaporeDon Oct 19, 2013 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mx2 (Post 21602129)
Hi! I want to go from Bogota (Colombia) to La Paz (Bolivia), and have found that it's cheaper to buy a flight to Lima that happens to connect in La Paz. Presumably, as long as I don't check any luggage, I could just get off at La Paz then? Do you see any problems with this? I realize that the flight may get rerouted, etc, and am willing to take that risk, but am more concerned about any issues with Bolivian immigration or Avianca penalizing me somehow?

Many such "abnormalities" in the program. Welcome to the "LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)" thread which is dedicated to discovering such "tricks"!

basejump Oct 19, 2013 5:32 pm

A well practiced strategy used by many - prospects of getting re-routed are minimal on this routing

lacuadra Oct 23, 2013 10:43 pm

Hidden city booking with Avianca

Avianca does allow for two free pieces of luggage to be checked so you miss on that one if you are visiting relatives But as 1way tourist ticket I doubt they will notice you will get off in Bolivia

WingedWorldExplorer Oct 24, 2013 7:11 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 21633115)
Many such "abnormalities" in the program. Welcome to the "LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)" thread which is dedicated to discovering such "tricks"!

You do not know if he was referring to revenue ticket or award - so no need to remind us of the obvious.

Blind destination in itself is not a trick.It has been used, using many many airlines for over 2 decades now.

NYC-MKE with connection in CHI is cheaper than NYC-CHI. You consider that a valuable "trick" ?

mx2 Oct 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for the responses! Do you guys typically let anyone know that you won't take the second leg? So they won't call your name on the speakers and perhaps hold the plane?

Does it make a difference if it's a revenue ticket or award ticket?

What is meant by "blind destination"? Same as "hidden city"?

And yes, I know I'll miss out on the checked luggage, but luckily Avianca seems quite generous with their carry-on luggage (115 linear cm), so I think I'll be fine. I'll have to get rid of all of my liquids though... but for saving a few hundred $, I think it's worth it!

JohnnyColombia Oct 25, 2013 12:20 pm

How long is your layover in La Paz? You can always tell them you have a friend and you are bringing him some Jack Daniels or something so you need your suitcase checking to La Paz then you are going to "recheck it"

I have never told an airline that I will not be boarding the next flight

Yosef Oct 30, 2013 8:41 pm

With two airlines on the same day, you're probably a regular no-show. If they announce your name, they do it with everyone (at least checked in).

If you want, you can call the airline from the terminal once you land, but I don't see it being necessary- they aren't sending the authorities after you.

mx2 Nov 6, 2013 9:29 am

Hmm, not quite as smooth as you'd have thought. La Paz is a tiny airport. The entire international arrivals hall is about the size of a living room. As you walk off the plane, you walk straight into the line to immigration. There's staff from Avianca asking each passenger if they're connecting or not. We said no. 10 minutes later, we were still in line for immigration, as our names were called on the loudspeaker. We ignored it. 5 more minutes and some lady from Avianca started walking along the immigration line and baggage claim asking passengers if they were us. Quite stressful situation. When she couldn't find us, she walked over to the customs officer and talked to him for a while, we were assuming to tell him to not let us through. It felt like we were in a movie escaping from the authorities or something. We made it through in the end, but my advice if anyone decides to do this is to be the first person off the plane. (Although I don't know what they'd done if they'd found us?)

JohnnyColombia Nov 6, 2013 11:22 am

Hahahahahahaha Brilliant!

Aussie_flyer Nov 6, 2013 5:12 pm

Was it worth it mx2?

Shanye2233 Nov 6, 2013 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer (Post 21740940)
Was it worth it mx2?

Is saving money worth it for you?

If not then why are you here darren ?

Aussie_flyer Nov 7, 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 21742196)
Is saving money worth it for you?

If not then why are you here darren ?

I wasn't asking you darling.

SilverChris Nov 7, 2013 4:24 am

They didn't check everyone's passports while waiting in line?