Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Has LM increased the CPM of the "cash" miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has LM increased the CPM of the "cash" miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, Lifemiles 1.5M, UAL, Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by colombia123
I agree! When I saw this I ran to try to find where this would affect me and didn't find any relevant route (at least for me! out of Colombia). I've been following this for sometime trying to understand and learn the "tricks" and got quite scared with this "devaluation" but I didn't find any real changes on the tables (out of Colombia at least!). As for buying miles I never really understood why pay real money for miles when you can get them for "free". Avianca is pretty generous with their bonuses (at least comparing with LAN and Copa). So why buy miles? you can get tones of them by flying or using their CC (2 miles per Dollar). So I'm still struggling to understand why this is being treated as massive devaluation! Please help to understand.
Same here, great airline and great service. Overall, Avianca failed in Crisis Management 001 as they fdid to communicate these and prior changes such as cancelling flights out of SJO last week. But, how many of you run a business that is always right ? Since we are in FlyerTalk common sense tells that cutting corners somehow will bite back at the end, and indeed it happened.
I like Avianca and I will continue to fly them as long as I am given the gifts of health and air travel either by business or pleasure while Avianca gets me safe and sound from A to B.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:18 pm

Question

Originally Posted by Coolers
Earning miles by flying? You must be really new here
Yep...I've been following for a year but not many posts!

This paying for miles I trully don't get. I'm not sure where my math goes wrong...
A domestic ticket in Colombia is 7,000 miles so if you buy the miles you need to pay $87.50 = 7,000 x 0.0125 (plus taxes), can you get a domestic for less than $87.50? Hell yeah! I just quoted Bogota - Cali for $56 tax included!! So why pay $30 extra?
Old May 25, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: Velocity Gold

This paying for miles I trully don't get. I'm not sure where my math goes wrong...
A domestic ticket in Colombia is 7,000 miles so if you buy the miles you need to pay $87.50 = 7,000 x 0.0125 (plus taxes), can you get a domestic for less than $87.50? Hell yeah! I just quoted Bogota - Cali for $56 tax included!! So why pay $30 extra?
People aren't using these for domestic tickets. How bout you try the maths on something like MEL-LHR return in business vs the cash cost of buying that same ticket, then you might see why people buy these miles.
Old May 25, 2013, 4:05 am

Points.com...
Let's trade I can always use them! How many do have and what miles/points would want?
points.com attaches a fee for trades that hovers around 1 cent per mile which ruins any point of trading completely.

International premium class (business, first) run from thousands of dollars. Given that you can buy miles for the same flights in the same class for a maximum of 1800 dollars, generally it is quite a good deal for "exotic destinations."

By the way, welcome to flyertalk!
Old May 25, 2013, 7:15 am

Question: Would you book Europe-NRT right now with the new Number of Miles needed and the higher Cash-Part? Or would you wait for a few days and see how things work out?

I just checked and its more Miles (195k instead of 160k) and more Money (16XX instead of 13XX) needed for my Flight..

So what shall I do best?
Old May 25, 2013, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Question: Would you book Europe-NRT right now with the new Number of Miles needed and the higher Cash-Part? Or would you wait for a few days and see how things work out?

I just checked and its more Miles (195k instead of 160k) and more Money (16XX instead of 13XX) needed for my Flight..

So what shall I do best?
Fat chance they would change anything back.
Old May 25, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by skaya
Fat chance they would change anything back.
So you suggesting I should not wait?

Last edited by blueeagle3; May 25, 2013 at 9:49 am
Old May 25, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by blueeagle3
So you suggesting I should not wait?
Correct. If they change, you can always cancel and re-book (penalty $50 + $25).
Old May 25, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by travelislife
People aren't using these for domestic tickets. How bout you try the maths on something like MEL-LHR return in business vs the cash cost of buying that same ticket, then you might see why people buy these miles.
Some of my friends still dont get it. When I tell them I can use miles to get a business class ticket to Europe, they tell me" But why? you can get two coach tickets instead!!!". I guess they don't buy the concept of upper class. It took me a while to see "the light".

Going back to your statement, it probably is a new game for Lifemiles and I guess they never expected those redemptions, say MEL-LHR or SIN-FRA in J. And that is why they adjusted the prices. I don't blame them for the correction as this is way too expensive. But they should have done a good job and educate themselves in how alliances work or by talking to either LH or SQ airlines, and giving advance notice to these new customers.
Old May 25, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by planestupid; May 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm Reason: double post
Old May 25, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
The lack of communication is what I don't get. The programme has become completely unpredictable for me - time to burn and leave.
Old May 26, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by lacuadra

Going back to your statement, it probably is a new game for Lifemiles and I guess they never expected those redemptions, say MEL-LHR or SIN-FRA in J. And that is why they adjusted the prices. I don't blame them for the correction as this is way too expensive.
BMI, until it died (RIP!!) had an almost similar Cash plus Miles redemption chart, and like Lifemiles, had access to * alliance inventory one could not find using other * alliance frequent flyer programs.

My sense is that BMI lost money and was gobbled up by BA (for its LHR slots, I guess) but that had nothing to do with them selling BMI Diamond Club miles and then allowing great redemptions with other * alliance airlines.

I don't think Lifemiles would suffer financial losses if it sold Lifemiles at 1.5 cents per mile and then had to buy seats from other * alliance carriers for redemptions
Old May 26, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
BMI, until it died (RIP!!) had an almost similar Cash plus Miles redemption chart, and like Lifemiles, had access to * alliance inventory one could not find using other * alliance frequent flyer programs.

My sense is that BMI lost money and was gobbled up by BA (for its LHR slots, I guess) but that had nothing to do with them selling BMI Diamond Club miles and then allowing great redemptions with other * alliance airlines.

I don't think Lifemiles would suffer financial losses if it sold Lifemiles at 1.5 cents per mile and then had to buy seats from other * alliance carriers for redemptions
well I don't think anyone knows whether LM is actually losing money from selling miles at 1.275 cents or whether it just wants a cash grab, so it depends...
Old May 26, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yerffej201
well I don't think anyone knows whether LM is actually losing money from selling miles at 1.275 cents or whether it just wants a cash grab, so it depends...
Keep in mind that they were NOT selling miles at 12.75/1k.
That was ONLY the miles + money component.
As such, the net cost for 1k miles was really (15*.4) + (12.75*.6) = 13.65/1k
15/13.65 = 1.09.
Hence, mileage cost (net) only went up by 9%.
With the award increases, the changes are multiplicative, so keep that in mind.
So, a 25% increase in one route is really a 35% increase in net cost.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lacuadra
Some of my friends still dont get it. When I tell them I can use miles to get a business class ticket to Europe, they tell me" But why? you can get two coach tickets instead!!!". I guess they don't buy the concept of upper class. It took me a while to see "the light".

Going back to your statement, it probably is a new game for Lifemiles and I guess they never expected those redemptions, say MEL-LHR or SIN-FRA in J. And that is why they adjusted the prices. I don't blame them for the correction as this is way too expensive. But they should have done a good job and educate themselves in how alliances work or by talking to either LH or SQ airlines, and giving advance notice to these new customers.
My guess is that LH/SQ actually LIKE *A though as they should, due to their superior F/J offerings, be NET RECIPIENTS of money from other *A airlines.
(as in, more metal is redeemed on these airlines than these airlines redeem on other metal.)
As for AV I don't usually fly *A to SA as they are weaker there, and most of my SA flying, if I have to go there, has been to deep SA (Chile, Argentina, Brazil.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.