Wiki Posts
Search

LM Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
LM Upgrades

So I've decided to not only use LM as a miles bank but use them for Star Gold. They require 10,000 miles on their own metal but one of the benefits seem to be unlimited upgrades (at the 48, 72 or 120 hour mark) for almost all their NA-SA flights:

Complimentary space available upgrades (excluding routes to and from Europe and promo fares in domestic routes), administrated via an automated process that begins assigning upgrades according to the times listed above.
This could be useful for me (see my handle JFK-EZE) hehe

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the process, seems automatic, but was wondering if we had any AV/TA *G who had gone through the process...

What I've found so far:
Exclusions: European flights and Intra-country promo fares (I'm assuming within Peru and Colombia)
Timing: 48,72,120 hours out... Wondering if a AV *S has any chance of an upgrade...
Old May 1, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
LM does not have a clear upgrade policy, I really don't know how they do their upgrades, even when I was a diamond member, always got my upgrade at the airport, my routes where intranet Central America and USA, if the system did not upgrade you and you really want that F seat you must go very early to the airport because someone they could give the upgrade to someone else. I don't know if they manage the upgrades better now, that was my experience from 2007 to 2011 and then I switched to Copa I almost always get the upgrade on the time that they say.
Old May 3, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
I agree with Mario. I left Distancia/Lifemiles after being Platinum/Diamond for over 10 straight years, and the main reason was frustration with their upgrade policy. With a 4 segment reservation, sometime I would clear an upgrade on a 30 minute flight that had no food or beverage service anyhow, and that upgrade seemed to exclude me from other upgrades on the reservation.

It got to be who you know at the airport type of thing, and I just got tired of the game. Copa is much more transparent and since they are both now *G there is no reason to throw any additional business to a company that did not value their elite flyers.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:33 pm

I am thinking of upgrading using lifemiles on star alliance flights, anyone has the latest star alliance upgrade chart? There was mileage increase for full redemption for business and first class, but is there an increase for upgrade chart?
Old May 5, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by luv_flying
I am thinking of upgrading using lifemiles on star alliance flights, anyone has the latest star alliance upgrade chart? There was mileage increase for full redemption for business and first class, but is there an increase for upgrade chart?
It is embedded inside the star-alliance partner page, which also has information about which fare basis can be upgraded.

Here is the Thai link, but I assume Lifemiles required for upgrade are the same for all * alliance partners

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/sta/stathai.aspx

Halfway through "Enjoy your Lifemiles" section on the page, there is a link for ugrades which opens up in another window.

Business Class and/or First Class upgrades:

You can use your LifeMiles for upgrades on flight segments operated by THAI.

Find out how many miles you need to request your upgrade on THAI here.
Redeem your LifeMiles here for upgrades on THAI.

The only caveat seems to be that the fares which can be upgraded would be expensive to buy in the first place, so buying an economy/ business ticket with cash and upgrading using Lifemiles may not be the best use of Lifemiles
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:19 pm
HCA

1. Has anyone use LM miles for Star Alliance upgrade?
2. Also, for Star Alliance upgrade can we use co-pay to buy part of miles?
Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by HCA
1. Has anyone use LM miles for Star Alliance upgrade?
2. Also, for Star Alliance upgrade can we use co-pay to buy part of miles?
Thanks.
1. yes
2. no
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:33 am

Slightly OT....

Has anyone used Avios to upgrade an Avianca flight? I have four flights with them this Summer (well, eight flights as they all change in San Salvador) and it'd be great to upgrade one/some/all.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by supergraeme
Slightly OT....

Has anyone used Avios to upgrade an Avianca flight? I have four flights with them this Summer (well, eight flights as they all change in San Salvador) and it'd be great to upgrade one/some/all.

Thanks!
I don't think this is possible:

http://www.iberia.com/web/webPartner...Partner=130093
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:32 am

You can use Avios to book redemptions - http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/01...ios-points-on/ - so I thought I might be able to upgrade with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.