Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by amaecuador
Hola a todos,
I'm a former frequent flyer, and I've just accepted a new job that's going to make me a frequent flyer again. I've just started researching, but so much has changed. I'm trying to establish a reasonable points/status strategy before they send me on my first trip... so here's where I'm at, and hopefully this makes sense.

I'm based in Ecuador, and the bulk of my flights will be to Europe and the USA. I'll also have a few regional trips in S. America. I'm looking at Star Alliance, as the airport I'm closest to (MEC) only has Avianca (LM) as an option. International flights leave out of GYE (3 hr drive) and UIO (8 hr drive, or 1 hr flight out of MEC) Star alliance partners seem to also fly most places I'll be going, and Copa is also included in Star Alliance. I usually fly Copa on trips to the US for personal trips.

I have a decent amount of flexibility with my employer, I can chose to fly with a preferred airline/partner as long as it's not too far out of range of the rest of the options available. The bulk of my international trips will be in business class.

So the big question is, which program is better between Avianca LifeMiles and Copa ConnectMiles (or would y'all recommend a different Star Alliance program?) I'm looking to get status the quickest possible, and I can't find details on Avianca's program as to how many segments you get based on class booked. For example, if I book a local trip (MEC-UIO) round trip in business class, how many qualifying segments will that net me? Any other thoughts/advice on which program is the best within the Star Alliance to earn status quickly / keep it easier?

TYIA
Purely from a redemption point of view, Lifemiles is a disaster - and that will be the exact reason I won't recommend the program

Although United's MileagePlus can be headache too, but at least you're able to issue the ticket via what's seen online 75% of the times (so long as you're not redeeming SQ flights). With lifemiles.... I've lost my confidence.

Disclaimer: I'm based in Australia where there's a known issue with Lifemiles regarding award availibty showing..... Basically no connection flights will show up as a single ticket.

And since you're flying Business, most of the FFPs will offer a simialr range of earning ratio so it doesn't really matter too much.

Cheers,
Michael
Old May 21, 2019, 1:58 pm

This is probably more of a "how does LAX work question", rather than AV one, or even LM one, but hey... Hope it's fine nonetheles

Me and a bunch of friends will be doing VIE-LAX-BOG next month, with OS and AV operated flights. We're going to have a ~7h layover in LAX, and unfortunately I was unsuccessful in trying to convince them to fly with carry-ons only.

I know they'll need to recheck the bags, but I'm not 100% clear on the procedure — I'm not sure whether the post-CBP rechecking facility would accept their bags, given that AV check-in facilities are theoretically in T3.

Anyone who could clear this up for me? Would rather not have to spend 4h with them stranded landside before we can go back airside

Last edited by klausa; May 21, 2019 at 2:45 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart Link NOT working

Is there any new link regarding LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart , while the one under sticky doesn't work anymore ?
Old May 22, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bertheike
Is there any new link regarding LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart , while the one under sticky doesn't work anymore ?
There's a link near the end of every partner page on the LM site.
It goes to this PDF currently.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:44 pm

If i book an award on Lifemiles.com flying on UA metal, if I pay the taxes on my United Explorer card, will I get free baggage?
Old May 23, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
The question might have been answered again multiple times before, but what's the trick to book Lufthansa and Untied Business class tickets between US and Europe using LM? I rarely see them coming up during my search on LM.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
Anyone else had this error before or getting it today when making a redemption booking for a United flight?

It's happening after selecting the flight and clicking "Continue to travelers".

First time I've tried to redeemed flights through the website, so I've also double checked my profile information to make sure it is complete.

Sorry, we could not process your request, please try again.
If the problem persists contact our Call center Option 3 or send us an email to %[email protected]?subject=e3%...019%2003:11:42

LifeMiles Team.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Newbie to Avianca and LifeMiles.

I set up both accounts nad have signed in to both. I can find both Economy and Business class tickets ORD-BOG for sale on the Avianca site. But when I go to LifeMiles, using the same destination, same dates, tried both classes of services, It asks for Departure Date first (on a one way). When I get to Step 2, picking departure flight, every single date has below the date, "Not available"

What am I doing wrong?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
wrong post

Last edited by yuel; Jun 1, 2019 at 9:56 am
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg333
The question might have been answered again multiple times before, but what's the trick to book Lufthansa and Untied Business class tickets between US and Europe using LM? I rarely see them coming up during my search on LM.
UA is difficult to find TATL at the best of times (even for UA members). Lufthansa can be better, but these seats also go fairly quickly. It might just be a case of little or no availability,

Originally Posted by eamond
Purely from a redemption point of view, Lifemiles is a disaster - and that will be the exact reason I won't recommend the program

Although United's MileagePlus can be headache too, but at least you're able to issue the ticket via what's seen online 75% of the times (so long as you're not redeeming SQ flights). With lifemiles.... I've lost my confidence.

Disclaimer: I'm based in Australia where there's a known issue with Lifemiles regarding award availibty showing..... Basically no connection flights will show up as a single ticket.

And since you're flying Business, most of the FFPs will offer a simialr range of earning ratio so it doesn't really matter too much.

Cheers,
Michael
I understand the frustration if you were accruing miles by flying Avianca. For those buying miles I think the advantages currently outweigh the ability to book immediately online (rather than via the screenshot method).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Anyone know if it's possible to get the old interface back?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: TK Elite
The website seems to be out for maintenance, can anyone tell me the going rate in business class from DPS to BKK with Thai?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
The website seems to be out for maintenance, can anyone tell me the going rate in business class from DPS to BKK with Thai?
30K (south east asia to south east asia).

There a link to the award table here via Lucky: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/06/26/...-june-25-2018/
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
30K (south east asia to south east asia).

There a link to the award table here via Lucky: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/06/26/...-june-25-2018/
Thank you, very expensive...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Is there no more award chart ?

Is there no more award chart ? by clicking the link in wiki i see >

Sorry, this page can’t be found

This page may have been moved or there might have been a mistake in the address.

Go to homepage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.