Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Plat, BA Gold, SPG Plat, HHo Gold
Hello,
Just a quick question on LM bonus miles for Elites:
  • Is the 25%/100% bonus for Silver/Gold-Diamond calculated on actual mileage flows or mileage times accrual ratio? (i.e. is the bonus 100% or 200% in C class for a Gold member)?
  • Is Elite bonus available on Avianca Brazil flights as well?
And while we are here, just one other request for clarification :-)
  • Do minimum miles also apply for qualifying miles and what's the applicable amount?
    • If the earning table says: Accrual factor 200% / Minimum Miles 750 / Qualifying Miles for Status Elites 100% , and you travel 200mi are there any minimum miles that help you qualify as elite? How much? 750, 500 or 375 or 200mi.

thanks

Last edited by Jan@BRU; Oct 18, 2018 at 11:01 am
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:13 am

Can I just confirm that buying 1000 miles extends the validity a further 12 months for ALL the miles in the account?

Looking at accrual options - being based in Australia - it doesn’t look like I’d have another option to accrue miles and keep points active
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by baggyred
Can I just confirm that buying 1000 miles extends the validity a further 12 months for ALL the miles in the account?

Yes, sharing with another account does the same.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:31 pm

Would anyone know, what time the AV check-in desk opens at IAD before the 13:52 flight?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:59 am

I had a flight on Avianca that I ended up not taking - BOG > LAX. Ticket was booked in Dec 17 for travel in Mar 18 for 33,000 miles. Curious what you all think - Is it worth the $200 fee (less $82 in taxes) to cancel this ticket to get back the 33,000 miles? Math comes out to $0.006/mile, but for that low of miles and the likely difficulty of dealing with customer service might not make it worth it.

Also planning a OW ticket back from NZ to US. For LM, do all segments need to be on the same carrier (UA) or can I have multiple, non-Avianca carriers (UA+NZ)?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:08 pm

It takes a few minutes to cancel an award these days (if your bank/card are not causing issues).

You can have multiple carriers on *A award with LM. NZ is almost impossible with business class. You won't find NZ-US unless mega lucky and booking far ahead.

Last edited by mlqsko; Nov 8, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ajnixon79
I had a flight on Avianca that I ended up not taking - BOG > LAX. Ticket was booked in Dec 17 for travel in Mar 18 for 33,000 miles. Curious what you all think - Is it worth the $200 fee (less $82 in taxes) to cancel this ticket to get back the 33,000 miles? Math comes out to $0.006/mile, but for that low of miles and the likely difficulty of dealing with customer service might not make it worth it.

Also planning a OW ticket back from NZ to US. For LM, do all segments need to be on the same carrier (UA) or can I have multiple, non-Avianca carriers (UA+NZ)?
Multiple is possible as long as within Star.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a way to find the PNR for a Lifemiles booking on an Air Canada flight? I have Avianca's PNR and the eTicket, but when I went to the reservation info there was nothing of use. I just want to pick my seat without having to call Avianca.

Edit: I have discovered the checkmytrip app. What a blessed tool.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Lifemiles Avianca
You can make check-in online with Avianca 24 h before the flight on their homepage.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:29 pm

Hi, first post on this forum and new to the LM program. What is the procedure to request retroactively miles for Star Alliance flights? The online mileage request form only shows Avianca (no pop down menu). And the Contact us form does not allow to upload any documents. Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, first post on this forum and new to the LM program. What is the procedure to request retroactively miles for Star Alliance flights? The online mileage request form only shows Avianca (no pop down menu). And the Contact us form does not allow to upload any documents. Thanks.
Email them. They are very good and did mine within a few hours.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:52 am

Hello!

I am looking at taking a first class one way trip from either ICN or NRT towards YUL. Of course, there isn't any direct flight for that in first class, but isn't it supposed to still be 90,000 LM points anyway? When I checked, it would seem that it is 90,000 from either ICN or NRT to JFK or ORD, for example, but then they add the flight to YUL as extra. I'm used to Aeroplan, and it wouldn't cost me extra with Aeroplan. Am I misunderstanding Lifemiles
or is there a problem with they website?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:48 am

Tried to find this info without any luck. Apologize if it is already discussed.

For the city pairs that have star alliance discounts going on right now (ICN-lax, in particular), does the discount still apply if you have connecting flights or is it only for award tickets that only have those cities? Online engine is showing a higher price for connecting itineraries but I can't get the non stop itinerary to show up as available to compare
​​​​
​​​
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: No Status!
Hi everyone,

If I'm using the screenshot method, do I need to have the full balance of miles, or can I still also use the buy-up?

Cheers
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by hankahanka
Hi everyone,

If I'm using the screenshot method, do I need to have the full balance of miles, or can I still also use the buy-up?

Cheers
You can use points + cash. Payment is a separate process to finding award flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.