Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ambush276
can you book stopovers with award travel?
Unfortunately not for star alliance partner awards… at least not economically. Any stops would be calculated as the sum of the sectors. You can use the multi city tool for a round trip with a stop, but you must go back to your origin and IIRC there’s no points savings (but you would save on cancellation fees if it got to that as it would be one ticket not two or three).

I don’t know about avianca only awards… never booked one!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:22 pm

I have an award flight on LH that I booked via LifeMiles. Flight departs tomorrow evening. There's a chance I can't go on this trip. Is my understanding correct that if I no-show for the flight, I can get my miles back retroactively after paying a $200 fee?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by jomama341
I have an award flight on LH that I booked via LifeMiles. Flight departs tomorrow evening. There's a chance I can't go on this trip. Is my understanding correct that if I no-show for the flight, I can get my miles back retroactively after paying a $200 fee?
You will get your miles back if you noshow after paying the fee.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
(Deleted.)

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 25, 2022 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: Lifemiles
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and new to redeeming flights in LM (I have been accumulating miles since just before COVID, but I'm just getting the opportunity to travel).
I was wondering, if the LM search engine says that there are only two seats left (I'm looking at business class seats, Avianca flight from Bogota to Madrid), is it guaranteed that the seats will be together? I got to the part where I filled out the passenger info and I haven't gotten to select seats yet, and I dont want to redeem the miles if the seats wont be together.

I know this may be a silly question but its my first time redeeming miles and I dont want to make a mistake. Thank you very much!!!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmfs92
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and new to redeeming flights in LM (I have been accumulating miles since just before COVID, but I'm just getting the opportunity to travel).
I was wondering, if the LM search engine says that there are only two seats left (I'm looking at business class seats, Avianca flight from Bogota to Madrid), is it guaranteed that the seats will be together? I got to the part where I filled out the passenger info and I haven't gotten to select seats yet, and I dont want to redeem the miles if the seats wont be together.

I know this may be a silly question but its my first time redeeming miles and I dont want to make a mistake. Thank you very much!!!
Hi and welcome to FT!

Unfortunately there is no guarantee of seats being together. You can select seats as soon as you have booked, so it could be that other passengers have already taken various seats around the cabin and there aren’t any pairs or side-by-side seats left.

However, you could have a look at the seats left by doing a sample paid booking for the date you want, and seeing which seats are available. Then as soon as you book, reserve those for your party. Alternatively, if there aren’t any seats together, keep checking back regularly before departure and move as soon as something opens up.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: Lifemiles
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi and welcome to FT!

Unfortunately there is no guarantee of seats being together. You can select seats as soon as you have booked, so it could be that other passengers have already taken various seats around the cabin and there aren’t any pairs or side-by-side seats left.

However, you could have a look at the seats left by doing a sample paid booking for the date you want, and seeing which seats are available. Then as soon as you book, reserve those for your party. Alternatively, if there aren’t any seats together, keep checking back regularly before departure and move as soon as something opens up.
Thank you! I did the sample booking and there were plenty of seats together, so I just redeemed my tickets. I'm lucky and getting one of the newest 787 planes, so hopefully it will be a comfortable flight and I will get some sleep
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmfs92
Thank you! I did the sample booking and there were plenty of seats together, so I just redeemed my tickets. I'm lucky and getting one of the newest 787 planes, so hopefully it will be a comfortable flight and I will get some sleep
Excellent… if you haven’t already, go in and select your seats!
Old May 7, 2022, 9:33 am

I want to book four intra-Europe award seats using LM. Ideally, I can book the four seats from four respective LM accounts since the points will otherwise expire, but I am worried the seats will disappear after I book 1, 2 or 3 of the seats.

In this situation, can I call the LM call center and have them book the four tickets over the phone? I have done this in the past with AAdvantage and Asia Miles, but I have never tried calling LM before.

Thanks
Old May 7, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I want to book four intra-Europe award seats using LM. Ideally, I can book the four seats from four respective LM accounts since the points will otherwise expire, but I am worried the seats will disappear after I book 1, 2 or 3 of the seats.

In this situation, can I call the LM call center and have them book the four tickets over the phone? I have done this in the past with AAdvantage and Asia Miles, but I have never tried calling LM before.

Thanks
Anythng we can see in line the call centre can also see, and can book for you. I think there might be a phone centre fee for each booking though? (in addition to the star alliance fee).

I think the call centre will have the same problem as you… if they book one or more of the seats, the others could disappear.

I would probably risk it and do it yourself. If it says four seats are available, that should be accurate. Worst case you will have one or more paid with miles, and could use cash for the rest.

Or you might keep checking back and see if another seat opens later.

If you are booking the flights in biz class… an option if one or more seats disappear is to book the remainder of the party for cash, in coach.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I would probably risk it and do it yourself. If it says four seats are available, that should be accurate.
Fallinasleep's concern may be real. I had a situation a couple of years ago with SAS. I was going to book three trans-Atlantic seats in C, using an AmEx-coupon for two seats. There were four seats available, but when using an AmEx-coupon, you can only book two seats at a time, and then you have to make a separate booking for the third seat. But when I had booked the two seats, the third and fourth seats were gone. I had to cancel the whole booking.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Tried searching here but couldn't find. Can I book Eurowings Discover (4Y) using lifemiles?

I am looking to book RSW -> FRA on 4Y 61 (Eurowings Discover) and then FRA -> DXB on Lufthansa. United shows availability for 88K miles on business. When I search for RSW -> FRA on Lifemiles, it does not show anything even though it initially shows the blue dot on the calendar. When I search for the flight on eurowings.com, it shows the flight as "Operated by EW Discover" but flight number as LH 4393. Super confusing
Old May 17, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Greetings,

I have a SFO-YYZ-GRU round trip on Air Canada using LifeMiles.

As it turns out, I will not need the outbound; just the return GRU-YYZ-SFO.

Any shot they'll kill the outbound / refund the miles one way / charge me a fee or will I need to start all over again? I am guessing the latter but hoping for better news!

Thanks.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
I'm star alliance gold through united. Does that 'transfer' over to Avianca? I can't find anywhere on LifeMiles site to pop it in.

I transferred AMEX points to LifeMiles to book a US domestic award flight (ORD-CHS) on UA metal.

I can't tell if we get checked baggage included or what the fees are?
Old May 31, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mayday23
I'm star alliance gold through united. Does that 'transfer' over to Avianca? I can't find anywhere on LifeMiles site to pop it in.

I transferred AMEX points to LifeMiles to book a US domestic award flight (ORD-CHS) on UA metal.

I can't tell if we get checked baggage included or what the fees are?
Cant help you how to enter the UA number onto a lifemiles booking, but your star alliance benefits will operate as normal. Any free baggage allowance provided by United to star golds will be applicable to your booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.