Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a members account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a members account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a members account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the members account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a members duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: LifeMiles
Does anyone know how to check the fare (XL vs XXL) for reward tickets (business class) booked with LM? I can't find it anywhere but last time I booked a business class ticket, it said the baggage allowance was 1 piece and I'm confused because it was previously always 2 x 32 kg. I'm assuming the change is due to the XL vs XXL fares??
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
How long after buying miles does the expiration date update? My balance has gone up, but my balance is still scheduled to expire 12/31/21.
​​​
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AS MHT
How long after buying miles does the expiration date update? My balance has gone up, but my balance is still scheduled to expire 12/31/21.
​​​
Usually overnight/next day.
AS MHT likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska, Lifemiles
If I purchase a LifeMiles economy ticket ( as that’s all that’s available) on Lufthansa can I purchase an upgrade later?
Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:56 pm

How to find the fare class code of a Lifemiles ticket? I have the e-ticket, but there is no indication of any fare class code.
Is there any way to find it with the ticket number?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by samwkchan
How to find the fare class code of a Lifemiles ticket? I have the e-ticket, but there is no indication of any fare class code.
Is there any way to find it with the ticket number?
If you can retrieve your ticket the fare code should be on that. Generally for star alliance awards the codes are O for first, I for business and X for economy. You can cross reference class of service through manage booking on the respective operating carriers site.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you can retrieve your ticket the fare code should be on that. Generally for star alliance awards the codes are O for first, I for business and X for economy. You can cross reference class of service through manage booking on the respective operating carriers site.
Thanks. I ask so because the fare basis code given on united.com is U-SFS7DE. The fare basis code starts with U.
Does it mean that the fare class is U?
This ticket has 3 legs:
HKG-NRT (ANA, economy)
NRT-ORD (ANA, first class)
ORD-MIA (United, economy)

I am wondering if there is any possibility that miles can be accrued.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:57 am

Please delete - I hadnt read the previous posts correctly.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Baggage allowance on US Domestic 7,500 miles Lifemiles award?

The Lifemiles award booking page does not provide any baggage information. I'm looking at a 7,500 mile domestic award (UA wants 14.4 Mileage Plus points for the same). Do I get 1 free checked bag with the 7.5K Lifemiles award? Does this get changed in any way if I pay the award booking fees with a United Explorer Card? (0 bags, 1 bag, 2 bags??)

Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Pretty sure that depends on your cabin/elite status/cards and hence the answer varies based on who is redeeming the award.
https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage...or/any-flights should straighten it out for you?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Pretty sure that depends on your cabin/elite status/cards and hence the answer varies based on who is redeeming the award.
https://www.united.com/en/us/baggage...or/any-flights should straighten it out for you?
No, not necessarily.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:05 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by rj123456
The Lifemiles award booking page does not provide any baggage information. I'm looking at a 7,500 mile domestic award (UA wants 14.4 Mileage Plus points for the same). Do I get 1 free checked bag with the 7.5K Lifemiles award? Does this get changed in any way if I pay the award booking fees with a United Explorer Card? (0 bags, 1 bag, 2 bags??)

Thanks.
If you hold a UA credit card that offers free checked baggage, you will get the free checked baggage, as long as you add the PNR number to your UA account. Unless you tell UA and cross reference the flight with UA, it will drop into a black hole. Go to UA, under My Trips, and add the flight information. The Life Miles PNR will work on the UA web site. Yo also want to add the Mileage Plus Number option from the drop down menu, as this is most likely showing your LM number.

Voila, your flight will show up immediately on the UA screen, you'll be able to pick a seat, and you'll get your perks through UA like Priority Boarding, Pre Check (if you have it), and free checked baggage.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Looking for some help with understanding how to search/find flights to book with miles. I'm looking to fly from LAX to Europe. Zurich, Geneva or even Milan. One way or even RT starting March 28/29/30 departure and return April 14/15.

I have a Lifemiles account. Select Star Alliance or even Lufthansa and I'm able to see any flights come up for Business Class flights. I do see the "More fare options" boxes. I don't suppose there's a calendar view I'm just not able to find?

When I change departure cities to SFO I can see a few economy options, but I'd really prefer Business.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: SK, LH
keep it to smart search and search for your dates. if LH does not come up for example then may be LH has not released seats for Avianca yet.
for an example try looking for jan and feb for the same airports, you may see few biz seats. just my theory
cajunguy likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Does LifeMiles have a preference when it comes to booking class?

Ex. LAX - EWR - ZRH class JN, business class (which seems to be all on UA metal). I also saw where EWR - ZRH class I, business class on Swiss.

Is it possible to actually book JN class? Can you have mixed classes, say JN & I?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.