Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: SK, LH
i was booking a return J fare using LM. i saw a total fee of 270 USD for 3 tickets. is this correct? i know this cant be YQ. so what are these charges? anyway to avoid this?
Old May 16, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by kantscholar
I'm sure this question has been asked already, but I can't find the answer. I just booked a LM award ticket on United. Is there an easy way to select a seat or do I have to call?
I'll answer my own question in case it helps someone.

You call the Avianca 800 line and ask for the United record locator. Then you can operate as normal.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by bittihuduga
i was booking a return J fare using LM. i saw a total fee of 270 USD for 3 tickets. is this correct? i know this cant be YQ. so what are these charges? anyway to avoid this?
Taxes + LifeMiles booking fee. I'm sure LM provides a breakdown, albeit not particularly detailed.
bittihuduga likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:15 pm

i am planning to book 3 J tickets (2 adults and 1 child)
i need 270k total miles for the return J trip.
i will buy miles in the current 2x1 sale and use it for my booking.
i have checked the availability and LH J are available.
does anyone consider any problem in the whole process?
i dont want to buy miles and unable to book J flights.
i am flexible with dates.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Hello everyone, I just searched this thread and could not find the answer to my question.
I redeemed tickets on LH F for a friday in July since there was no availability to fly on a Saturday or Sunday. Now LM blocked once again LH F awards (over 14 days) so I can't see if there's anyting available for Sat or Sunday.
My question is, if 14 days before my flight I see LH F space open up on the date I want.. Can I change my flight for free? or how much would I get charged?

thanks!
Old May 31, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by tuchop
Can I change my flight for free? or how much would I get charged?
The change fee will be USD150 per ticket.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:41 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
tl;dr version: Is there a way to review reservations made via LM on the lifemiles.com web site?

Long version: Last night I made a LM reservation on OZ. All was fine until after the screen for submitting credit card info. The process stuck for a couple minutes at the credit-card-being-processed screen and then an error screen ("error" was in the URL) saying that LM had all my information and that they would get back to me with a confirmation. Uncharacteristically, I didn't screen shot either screen. However, minutes after I encountered that message, I went to the OZ web site and found my reservation with the RLOC that LM provided, and OZ shows an e-ticket number. Does that mean the entire booking process, including credit card verification, succeeded? If not, how will I know when the reservation is definitely confirmed and will remain so?

PS: I booked a LM reservation with the same credit card about a week ago and got the normal confirmation message during booking.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:26 am
formerly 1984SW

Well, the silence on the request in my previous post was deafening, so I just had the bright idea to check Avianca's web site and -- voila! -- you can display the reservation using the LM record locator number.

AND...

Lo and behold, you can confirm seat assignments! I now have two LM bookings involving TG, NH and OZ, and for all segments I was able to view the seat charts and confirm seats. Impressive.
Maayan likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:42 am

Rather than re-ask a question I am sure has been asked may times - but is there a link to a concise summary of routing rules?

I have a flight from SYD to LHR which will have 4 or 5 legs. It is all roughly in the same direction

SYD - CBR - SIN - BKK - LHR

or it may need to be pending availability

SYD - CBR - SIN - BKK - ??? - LHR. WIth the mystery city being something like CPH or ARN or FRA.

Would this qualify as a legal routing. I appreciate I may need to do the screenshot method which I have successfully done before.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:27 am

hey..
i booked a LH flight using my LM.
it was 2 adults and 1 child. all went fine.
on LH site when i checked my booking, it says 3 adults.
should i get it fixed? would it cause any issue during boarding or checkin?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:36 am

Don't worry. It is because you bought a full fare seat using lm. They don't issue child tickets. Even if the birth date of your child is wrong it is not a problem as long as the name is correct. My infant daughter also gets adult tickets all the time.
bittihuduga likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Functionality Improvements in LifeMile booking process?

I've seen one or two recent references in frequent flyer blogs (dubious sources, I know) to recent improvements in the functionality of the LifeMiles booking process? Is this at all true? And if so, what do the improvements consist of?

Thanks for any information.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:33 am
formerly 1984SW

One thing that's different is that if you have a mixed-class booking, they pro-rate the segments. e.g. SE Asia - USA in Business Class is 78,000 miles, but if you book a trip and a segment only available in Y, the total will be (sometimes slightly) less than 78,000 miles:

I remember in the past a JFK-NRT-ICN itinerary with JFK-NRT in Y, and NRT-ICN in J, and they charged 78,000 miles.

You can even pick and choose which cabins you want and have the price adjusted. e.g. If you only want J on the long-haul:

I'm sure there are other changes that other folks find significant and either beneficial or detrimental, but I like this new flexibility.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:33 am
FMX

Is there some website/tool out there that makes it easier to search for awards bookable via LM? I'm sure everyone would agree that LM's own website is horrible, searching 2 days at a time and then showing "From (Y mileage)", requiring the user to click on a tiny radio button for each day to see if there is a J or F award available.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:07 pm

I booked my husband and I in J class on LH from MEX>FRA using LifeMiles. Last week daughter learned she was accepted into grad school in Germany, so I put her on the same flight as us but waaay back in coach. Just now I saw that I have acquired bunch more LifeMiles. I would like to upgrade daughter to be in J with us (I guess I can't put her in PE?). Would it be easier to cancel her coach award ticket ($200 cancel fee) or can I do a change for the $150 fee? Or LH like UA, where I can upgrade her at the gate, hopefully into PE, with cash and points? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.