Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Noticing a weird problem

Trying to flights from JFK to CCU Apr 16. Shows not available.

However, JFK-DEL is available and DEL-CCU is available. Only one stop of 2:45

Would love to get an idea of how to ticket this at 42.5K
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by kyunbit
Noticing a weird problem

Trying to flights from JFK to CCU Apr 16. Shows not available.

However, JFK-DEL is available and DEL-CCU is available. Only one stop of 2:45

Would love to get an idea of how to ticket this at 42.5K
Screenshot method. Search the forum if you don't know about it.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:06 pm

Hotel for overnight connection?

Hi all. In June, I have an overnight connection in Quito. Will be arriving from Bogota on Avianca at 10 PM, departing in the next morning on Aerogal to GPS. This is a business class ticket reserved with United miles.

Does anyone have any idea whether a transit hotel would be included with this ticket? Who would I talk to? Avianca upon arrival in Quito?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:15 am

If I have a LifeMiles award ticket for an ANA flight, is it possible to upgrade it using LifeMiles? Or do I need to use ANA miles?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by GSBtravels
If I have a LifeMiles award ticket for an ANA flight, is it possible to upgrade it using LifeMiles? Or do I need to use ANA miles?
You can't use ANA miles.

If availability has opened in a higher class this will be a cancel and rebook scenario with LifeMiles...possibly risky!
Old May 2, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm trying to figure out why I can book MEX-BOG non-stop with a 2-stop return for Ł592 in J (BOG–MEX stopping at GUA, SAL) but if I want to book MEX-BOG-MEX all non-stop it's Ł944?

There are 3 direct flights BOG-MEX, none of which appear to be full, so not sure why I'm seeing this. If I try and look at LifeMiles (with the intention of transferring Avios to Iberia and then having them book award seat), outbound seems fine at 81,000 Lifemiles, but I can't even select the StarAlliance checkbox for the return, regardless of which day I try and select for (I'm looking at 5-11 AUG, but it seems to be across the board).

Does anyone know why Avianca makes it so difficult to fly direct to Mexico, despite having 3 direct flights a day? I have contacted them, but no response yet. Ł300 extra pp is way too much, which is sad because I booked for Mexico, specifically because I can fly J from there to Bogota. Any help very much appreciated.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:09 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Am I the only idiot who applied for a lifemiles account with my actual passport number to then find out they use that to create your lifemiles number? Ugh, I knew LM is a pain but there lack of security is something else!
Old May 6, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Has LifeMiles stopped imposing fuel surcharges? I don't see it on partners anymore.
If so, that's fantastic development.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by igor82j
Has LifeMiles stopped imposing fuel surcharges? I don't see it on partners anymore.
If so, that's fantastic development.
Which partners have you previously seen fuel surcharges charged on? Been booking LM awards for years and have only ever seen genuine government taxes + LM booking fee.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Am I the only idiot who applied for a lifemiles account with my actual passport number to then find out they use that to create your lifemiles number? Ugh, I knew LM is a pain but there lack of security is something else!
Didn't even notice the passport number thing until I read this

Also - managed to sort the above mentioned MEX-BOG-MEX with some LifeMiles and a call to Avianca...posted elsewhere in the forum.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: points traveller
any tips for adding an infant to an LH booking done using lifemiles?
Old May 14, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
any tips for adding an infant to an LH booking done using lifemiles?
I would call up LH directly to get this done. This is what I have done in the past and it worked.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I would call up LH directly to get this done. This is what I have done in the past and it worked.
was payment just taxes, or 10% of the fare?
Old May 15, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
was payment just taxes, or 10% of the fare?
10% of the fare. Unfortunately mine was just a one way flight they used a full priced one way fare. Think it was around $400 which I thought was a little high. But that's how they have to do it. If yours is a return then they should base that of a return fare.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:37 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked already, but I can't find the answer. I just booked a LM award ticket on United. Is there an easy way to select a seat or do I have to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.