Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a members account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a members account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a members account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the members account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a members duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:13 pm

Hey guys,

Maybe a vague question(s) here but here goes.

I have recent started looking and become interested in the world of cheap(er) business and first class flights. I was directed to LM as a decent program to start with for the buy miles and add cash tactic to avail of cheaper business and first class flights. If I am willing to wait for a promo for 2x1 bonus, then I save even more. Correct?

1. How much cheaper is it to book flights this way compared to using a service like skyscanner and ebookers without the 2x1 promotion?

2. What other programs and resources other can LM can I read and use to avail of the same with different airlines?

3. What is the best way to get the max value out of my flights and points ? I have no commitments and don't care where I fly. What would be the best way to book and get the cheapest flight to X destination. Is booking in advance or late the best strategy?

4. Is there any essential reading on the forum or other forums so I can broaden my knowledge of ways to save money and reap business and first class travel?

Thanks and sorry for being such a n00b
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theglutton87
Hey guys,

Maybe a vague question(s) here but here goes.

I have recent started looking and become interested in the world of cheap(er) business and first class flights. I was directed to LM as a decent program to start with for the buy miles and add cash tactic to avail of cheaper business and first class flights. If I am willing to wait for a promo for 2x1 bonus, then I save even more. Correct?

1. How much cheaper is it to book flights this way compared to using a service like skyscanner and ebookers without the 2x1 promotion?

2. What other programs and resources other can LM can I read and use to avail of the same with different airlines?

3. What is the best way to get the max value out of my flights and points ? I have no commitments and don't care where I fly. What would be the best way to book and get the cheapest flight to X destination. Is booking in advance or late the best strategy?

4. Is there any essential reading on the forum or other forums so I can broaden my knowledge of ways to save money and reap business and first class travel?

Thanks and sorry for being such a n00b
1. Depends on the flights.
2. All points programs with sales (US Airways, etc.)
3. Max value depends on how you put value on tickets.
4. The f and j thread here.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:09 am

Hey yerffej201

Thanks for your reply.

1. Yea I guess it depends on the flight. I think I was trying to ask if the flights will work out cheaper for the most part or if you have to be lucky to find one cheaper.

2. Care to name any more? Should I be looking at Global Airline Alliances or any just any Airline Programs that happen to offer some rewards.

3. I mean, if I wanted to book a first/business class flight from Frankfurt to Singapore, is there a general consensus that booking 2 weeks in advance of the flight will yield a cheaper return than booking it for say 6 months - or again is it completely dependence on the flight/route and airline?

4. That what? Linky please - I'm new!

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why not do a bit of work yourself?

It's easy to determine what a ticket using LM would cost you. You can easily figure out what you are paying for the miles and how many of them it would take you to get to a specific destination (the prices in miles are a fixed amount based on country). Compare that to a ticket you buy and you know what the difference is....

Just don't forget by buying miles you are dependent on award availability within Star Alliance, some routes have very limited availability. Cash will get you on any flight that is available and you will also earn some miles.

So if you don't know the rules, first do some reading. Then be flexible and you might get a good deal. But do know what you are getting into when buying miles. These programs do have a lot of restrictions.

For a newbie I would suggest you also look at buying US Airways miles... That program is a bit easier to understand.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:52 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I am grinding the LifeMiles site and looking at the US airways one too. I'm looking up various ticket prices and trying to establish patterns and nuances in the booking systems.
I'm reading the forums and searching the web for info too

Posting here is just part of me trying to learn and I'm not just being lazy, I am trying to cover as much as possible and learn in an efficient manner instead of going in the wrong direction.

Thanks for the note on the over depending on air miles versus the opportunity cost of hard cash.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theglutton87
Hey yerffej201

Thanks for your reply.

1. Yea I guess it depends on the flight. I think I was trying to ask if the flights will work out cheaper for the most part or if you have to be lucky to find one cheaper.

2. Care to name any more? Should I be looking at Global Airline Alliances or any just any Airline Programs that happen to offer some rewards.

3. I mean, if I wanted to book a first/business class flight from Frankfurt to Singapore, is there a general consensus that booking 2 weeks in advance of the flight will yield a cheaper return than booking it for say 6 months - or again is it completely dependence on the flight/route and airline?

4. That what? Linky please - I'm new!

Thanks for your help.
1. It's hard to say theoretically. For the most part Lifemiles should be cheaper than purchasing a paid revenue fare for business or first class, but the tradeoff is the lack of flexibility.

2. With Lifemiles you can book reward flights on any star alliance airline except TAM.

3. No. With miles the amount required are fixed for the most part.

4. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...nal-trick.html
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
How do I get my email communication switched to English?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:49 am

The Singapore Airlines website is showing my flights correctly but with the message next to them:

Confirmed
Please confirm your booking on or before 21Sep 02:00 hours (GMT+8)

And then there's a button for the user to click "Confirm selected flight"

Should I click it or let Lifemiles' system take its course ?

-----

Edit: It has been ticketed now anyway. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited by Singapore_Air; Sep 17, 2013 at 3:11 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:29 pm

What's the best seat in Y? I looked at seat guru and it says the seat pitch is between 30"-34". But it doesn't indicate which ones are 30" or 34".
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by travel_geek
What's the best seat in Y? I looked at seat guru and it says the seat pitch is between 30"-34". But it doesn't indicate which ones are 30" or 34".
Is this the bit where we just randomly guess which airline and aircraft you're asking about? I'm just gonna say 92J.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Is this the bit where we just randomly guess which airline and aircraft you're asking about? I'm just gonna say 92J.
Sorry. It's on TACA and it's an A320.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
According to different medias on the 10th of October there will be a general strike of the Air Traffic Control in Europe.
I have a LM award booking on this day with LH (ZRH-FRA-BOG) who is now responsible for me if there is a canellation of the flight(s) on this day? LH or Avianca ? get I rebooked automaticly ?

Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by northernstar84
According to different medias on the 10th of October there will be a general strike of the Air Traffic Control in Europe.
I have a LM award booking on this day with LH (ZRH-FRA-BOG) who is now responsible for me if there is a canellation of the flight(s) on this day? LH or Avianca ? get I rebooked automaticly ?

Thanks
My understanding on this is that if you re-book now you will be charged by Avianca but if you wait until a the day of the flight (or even a few days before) the strike is official then the carrier will have to re-book you which will be a better bet as most often you will get booked into a full mileage earning class and no looking for award seats.

I would wait.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
My understanding on this is that if you re-book now you will be charged by Avianca but if you wait until a the day of the flight (or even a few days before) the strike is official then the carrier will have to re-book you which will be a better bet as most often you will get booked into a full mileage earning class and no looking for award seats.

I would wait.
Ok thanks...I am just afraid they will tell me at the check in AVIANCA is responsible. I am not looking forward to deal with their CC about such an issue on the day of departure.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:25 am

How does one earn points through Hilton?

Deleted.

Last edited by discoseal; Sep 25, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.