Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Were the schedule changes significant?

I know I need to cancel a pair of tickets, but was waiting for a schedule change to see if that would save me the fee. Is that futile?
Futile. It's like talking to robots... But if you're willing to HUACA enough you might get lucky.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Unless the change causes a cancel, misconnect, or connection time under the MCT, then it is futile to hope for a free cancellation.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks; I'll save the effort of trying.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:05 am

Random question - but what's the difference between a cancellation and a change?

Is a change only for the same origin and destination?

Or is it between the same regions?

Have a flight from Hong Kong to Australia, but want to change the destination city (and likely airline carriers) - is this going to require a cancel and re-book? or with this be do-able as a change?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by baggyred
Random question - but what's the difference between a cancellation and a change?

Is a change only for the same origin and destination?

Or is it between the same regions?

Have a flight from Hong Kong to Australia, but want to change the destination city (and likely airline carriers) - is this going to require a cancel and re-book? or with this be do-able as a change?
As per the terms and conditions, route changes are not allowed: https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx

So this would be a cancel and rebook.
baggyred likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Called at 8am EST andwas done cancelling two etickets in 24 minutes with an agent who spoke good English. Used a visa card and unlike what it says in the wiki, had to enter the full credit card number twice for the two tickets
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:22 pm

Cancelled a screenshot booking today, and while waiting for Avianca to call me back to get my credit card information, noticed that my cancelled record locator was instead changed to a MIA-BOG booking (?!!) Is that just a dummy booking that will be cancelled later once they refund my miles and take my cancellation payment?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Cancelled a screenshot booking today, and while waiting for Avianca to call me back to get my credit card information, noticed that my cancelled record locator was instead changed to a MIA-BOG booking (?!!) Is that just a dummy booking that will be cancelled later once they refund my miles and take my cancellation payment?
I haven't seen this before with Avianca (I have only cancelled one or two tickets) but i know other airlines like Qantas do this. They create a dummy PNR so that it stays 'live' in the system and then they can work on the cancellation without it disappearing from the system.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I haven't seen this before with Avianca (I have only cancelled one or two tickets) but i know other airlines like Qantas do this. They create a dummy PNR so that it stays 'live' in the system and then they can work on the cancellation without it disappearing from the system.
Thanks! I was able to get through to an agent who confirmed that it was indeed a dummy booking to keep it live until cancelled.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:53 am

Hi everyone,

I just booked a Lifemiles award ticket (for travel on a Lufthansa flight). My friend told me his legal name was "Peter Michael Bob Smith", so I put his first name as "Peter", middle as "Michael Bob" and last name as "Smith." It turns out his passport doesn't have the "Bob" part. Is that going to be a problem when he tries to board/go through security etc? I just booked this about 2 hours ago. What's the best way to fix/address?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Hi everyone,

I just booked a Lifemiles award ticket (for travel on a Lufthansa flight). My friend told me his legal name was "Peter Michael Bob Smith", so I put his first name as "Peter", middle as "Michael Bob" and last name as "Smith." It turns out his passport doesn't have the "Bob" part. Is that going to be a problem when he tries to board/go through security etc? I just booked this about 2 hours ago. What's the best way to fix/address?
Pull up the PNR on the LH site and amend the name to the proper one on his passport.
You can also put in his e-mail address, phone numbers, passport numbers, visa info, etc. there.No issue.
physi and KKslider like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:06 pm

Awesome, thanks so much! Was dreading a long dreary call with LifeMiles support LOL.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:38 pm

Called and cancelled in half an hour (first agent had to transfer me. Thought it would keep on ringing forever but got picked up eventually). Had to use automated system for entering credit card (agent asked before which type of card I'd use, Visa/MC/Amex).

Tip: don't actually say the pin when agent asks for pin (which I did).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Awesome, thanks so much! Was dreading a long dreary call with LifeMiles support LOL.
Future advice to you. Never trust people's intepretations of their own personal info, especially when your money/miles are on the line.
"Really sorry mate", "my bad" "Sorry I forgot I had different info on my passport" won't help you if the ticket has problems.
=>You wouldn't typically be able to penalize the friend/family if you had to incur a cost just to correct an issue!

Best way is to get the friend/family send you a screenshot of the bio page of their passports before you book.
Just good advice when you play the game of booking tickets for others (miles or cash).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:37 am

Is anyone having a difficult time refunding tickets? Been trying to cancel a ticket for the last 2 weeks but every agent has issues taking payment. And their always complaining how the new system is in place and not working. Very frustrating!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.