Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: centrifuge41
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.
Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by espn23
Does anyone know if you can cancel the day of your flight. I am planning on taking a different flight but want to hold on to my Avianca booking as a back-up (given a tight schedule). I am willing to take the $200 cancellation fee. But I would need to cancel the flights the day I am scheduled for departure.
Dont need to cancel at all! Cancellation and request for a deposit of miles can be made up to one year from the date of departure. In fact I dont think you can actually cancel in the 24 (or is it 48?) hours before departure.

Theres no penalty or forfeiture for a no show. Just the regular $200 charge if you want your miles back.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Dont need to cancel at all! Cancellation and request for a deposit of miles can be made up to one year from the date of departure. In fact I dont think you can actually cancel in the 24 (or is it 48?) hours before departure.

Theres no penalty or forfeiture for a no show. Just the regular $200 charge if you want your miles back.
Excellent. Thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:39 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Can one change the return portion of a lifemiles star award ticket (and pay the change fee) after flying the departure? If so are there any rules (like does the destination and origin need to stay the same..)
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:57 pm

So the latest from Lifemiles - "Since you are using an iphone - your pin cannot be entered correctly. Please use an android phone or landline." Luckily I had a google voice account and was able to do the transaction. I will post back - there was a small change to one of my itinerary and he opened a case - let's see maybe I get lucky! Any case successes lately?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
Wow, excellent news from LifeMiles today. I tested positive for covid so I had to cancel a flight. Assumed I would have to pay for the refund but the agent said to send in the covid test and they would waive the cancelation fee. I thought I could only change the date for free, not cancel. I was kicking myself for not booking with United or AA, but LifeMiles customer service was really nice to me!
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by matthewsoft
Wow, excellent news from LifeMiles today. I tested positive for covid so I had to cancel a flight. Assumed I would have to pay for the refund but the agent said to send in the covid test and they would waive the cancelation fee. I thought I could only change the date for free, not cancel. I was kicking myself for not booking with United or AA, but LifeMiles customer service was really nice to me!
Very nice. Positive test "result" is way too easy to get
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Called to cancel 24+ hours after departure. The wiki is an excellent resource. The process proceeded without to much fanfare up the point of credit card payment. Twice in a row the call dropped after the confirmation of credit card payment. Without mentioning the first two calls, the third customer service representative "created a case" with the expectation of a conclusion in seven days. No concern one way or another on the $200 but the miles are of value. Lifemiles would benefit from a better process to cancel. Not sure if calling and calling would be of value. The customer service representative did relay a case number.

Best guess the miles will show up in my account and the cancellation fee will be a non issue. The credit card processing doesn't seem to work.

Update. Waited 10 days for "case" to no avail. Called and noted the case. After some 30 minutes on hold the representative indicated the "case" was in the works. Inquired as to the purpose of the case as I was more than willing to pay the $200. The representative immediately told me the credit card processing doesn't work for cancellations after the flights and to expect a call to process the credit card manually. I did receive a call from a Miami number a few hours later but I was no where near the phone.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Oct 22, 2022 at 11:41 am
Old Oct 19, 2022, 4:28 pm

Timeline for Covid test versus flight

Originally Posted by matthewsoft
What was the timeline between your covid test result and your flight? I have a flight mid November and am wondering when to test. And was this an award flight you canceled? Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by MaryLovesTravel
What was the timeline between your covid test result and your flight? I have a flight mid November and am wondering when to test. And was this an award flight you canceled? Thanks!
LifeMiles customer service = award ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
miles resored, but email received today...
Not pleased with the thought of emailing bank information arbitrarily.

(translated to English from Spanish)

Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Ticket number:

Reason for information request: Bank details

Due to a temporary inconvenience to send payment to some credit cards we need bank details to pay your refund by bank transfer. Please send us the following information of the holder of the purchase card:
Name of the holder of the account
Identification number of the holder of the account
Type of identification of the holder of the account
Address of the holder of the account
Country, city and state
Postal code
Number Bank Account Number Bank Account
Type Bank
Name Account
Currency
Routing number

and the header of the account statement, leaving visible only the last 4 digits of the card and the name of the cardholder. To continue with the process, please send the requested information to the email [email protected] and [email protected]
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:22 pm

What if I just want to change my reservation to another date? Do I need to pay any change fee? The ticket was booked with Lifemiles on Brussels. Any way to avoid any fees?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by carlosiah
What if I just want to change my reservation to another date? Do I need to pay any change fee? The ticket was booked with Lifemiles on Brussels. Any way to avoid any fees?
No fee only if there's a significant schedule change (2hrs+) AND there's space available on the new date. Otherwise there's a fee and no way to avoid AND you need space available again to make the date change.
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:48 pm

Oops. I booked a ticket just 6 hours ago. Now I had a change in plans, by one day. Space is available, on the same flights, just a day later. Can I cancel or change since 24 hours has not passed?

Thanks and safe travels!
Old Mar 11, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by mlqsko
No fee only if there's a significant schedule change (2hrs+) AND there's space available on the new date. Otherwise there's a fee and no way to avoid AND you need space available again to make the date change.
AI changed flight time by just 15 minutes

Departs: JFK on 18 Apr 23 at 11:40 instead of 11:55

Surprised to learn when I called Lifemiles that there is no charge for cancellation as there was schedule change by operating airline

So looks like " significant chage ( 2+ hours) " does not apply in every case. Or maybe I just lucked out with a very helpful agent

The whole call took 10 minutes, perfect English, very efficient.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: *Gold
How do I set up this phone pin ahead of the call to cancel? The AV website is very confusing, a lot of the links seem to just lead to the homepage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.