Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by demue
There is no 25$ cancellation fee. The cancellation fee is 200$ and is being waived at least till 31 May 2021 for the moment. The 25$ is a nonrefundable booking fee per ticketed passenger. As such, if they cancel for you without fee you "only" loose the 25$ booking fee ... well and probably your taxes and security / airport fees unless you do a charge back via your credit card or are a super lucky person .

I don't mean to be a stickler here, but some folks not so familiar may get confused when they read about a 25$ cancel fee.
That’s not entirely correct.
The cancellation feee is $200 (not $300). The change fee (if your can ever possibly get them to change anything) is $150.
But yes, the $25 is a booking fee for their exemplary service and yes, you lose that from the time you book! 😂
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
The cancellation feee is $200 (not $300). The change fee (if your can ever possibly get them to change anything) is $150.
But yes, the $25 is a booking fee for their exemplary service and yes, you lose that from the time you book! 😂
but it seems that the cancellation fee is waived - can anybody send a link (their website says that it is only for flights operated by avianca)
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by LeonardvonGrabe
but it seems that the cancellation fee is waived - can anybody send a link (their website says that it is only for flights operated by avianca)
Yes, for the moment...
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
When you quoted what I wrote, it shows 200$ in your quote of my post so it is correct. When you read it probably, just after I had posted it, the initial value was 300$ as my not so slender thumb hit the 2 vs. the 3 on this smallish mobile phone key board. I updated it straight away. .
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:01 pm

Can somebody please send a link where it becomes obvious that the cancellation fee is waived ?
I don't want to discuss this with the Lifemiles support when i have no proof ;-)
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Mine was canceled and then rebooked, but it showed up "Confirmed" immediately when I checked at evaair.com right after I hung up the phone.
I am not sure if Lifemiles can put you on the waiting list on EVA...
Thank you!!!
You are right! the LM agent made a mistake and put me on wait list on Eva (but per Eva agent: No way waitlist using other airline's miles will get confirmed). So I changed again to a day with award seat availability (on LM.com) and it shows up "confirmed" right away on Eva.

Crossing fingers no more change of schedule/ fight cancellation.
Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
LM definitely can't waitlist on other carriers/they will refuse either to accept waitlisting or to confirm the seat.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
I just received a refund from Avianca. There were 2 pax booked on a single itinerary, and I was expecting to receive a refund of the taxes minus $25. However, they have deducted $50 from the taxes. Is this correct?

Since the booking fee I have paid at the time of booking was $25, I am not sure on what grounds they have deducted $50. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:47 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by 747_Brat
Since the booking fee I have paid at the time of booking was $25
The booking fee for flights on Star Alliance is $25 per ticket/person... (are you sure you were only charged $25 total?)
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well I think I should buy a lottery ticket this weeks as luck seems to be smiling upon me. Why I say that you wonder? Well 2 days ago I suddenly saw a few credits on my credit card from Avianca. One for a flight from last year that was cancelled about 11-12 months ago and one that was cancelled maybe 1 month ago.

The first refund is amazing to happen still (had written it off & think after 12 months they are off the hook returning anything in theory) and the second one shocking in a good way as very fast for LM standards though I wouldn't read too much into it. There is another flight cancelled 1 month ago as well for which no refund has shown up so far, but as many have said here already, anything in the form of refund from LM at any point in time should be graciously accpeted even if it does not tally up down to the last dollar / cent. YMMV.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I have a LifeMiles award flight booked for DXB-IST-JFK/EWR-BOS. I'm now looking to cancel the booking, and noticed that the EWR-BOS segment was cancelled and replaced with a different flight arriving 2.5 hours later.

Does that schedule change help me at all with avoiding the cancellation fee?
Old May 2, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Nomos
I have a LifeMiles award flight booked for DXB-IST-JFK/EWR-BOS. I'm now looking to cancel the booking, and noticed that the EWR-BOS segment was cancelled and replaced with a different flight arriving 2.5 hours later.

Does that schedule change help me at all with avoiding the cancellation fee?
It may... depends on their policy of how many hours you are inconvenienced... but try it!
Old May 3, 2021, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If cancelled and rebooked to different flight I wouldn't expect any issues getting a refund. It had been more difficult if it only a schedule change. As suggested above, give it a try!
Old May 3, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I phoned in yesterday SUN, MAY 2 and after a 30 minute wait to reach a representative was able to cancel an award flight (UA IAD-BRU in October) with no issues. The agent said the refund of my taxes would take six to seven months but that was to be expected. No cancellation fee was mentioned or collected.

How long does the mileage redeposit take in the experience of FTers? The agent said "up to seven days" but also said it would probably not take that long. Any recent experiences???
Old May 3, 2021, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by geo1005
I phoned in yesterday SUN, MAY 2 and after a 30 minute wait to reach a representative was able to cancel an award flight (UA IAD-BRU in October) with no issues. The agent said the refund of my taxes would take six to seven months but that was to be expected. No cancellation fee was mentioned or collected.

How long does the mileage redeposit take in the experience of FTers? The agent said "up to seven days" but also said it would probably not take that long. Any recent experiences???
Most times for me have been 1-2 days. Others have said 5. But it's pretty fast (in LM time lol)
geo1005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.