Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 10:21 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Wiki Link
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for the type of card: 1 - Visa 2 - Mastercard; followed by the card number, which needs to be entered twice; then followed by the expiration Month; then followed by the expiration Year; then followed by the Security code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers. Apparently now AMEX is accepted
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 9, 20, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Sorry if this question was answered earlier but I couldn't find in my search.

Has anyone who canceled tickets have got the tax portion back? I canceled my tickets and got my miles back and but no trace of tax getting refunded. I cannot even dispute the transaction as I bought tickets last year and my bank allows any dispute to be within previous 60 days.
Old Jul 9, 20, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by concordian View Post
Sorry if this question was answered earlier but I couldn't find in my search.

Has anyone who canceled tickets have got the tax portion back? I canceled my tickets and got my miles back and but no trace of tax getting refunded. I cannot even dispute the transaction as I bought tickets last year and my bank allows any dispute to be within previous 60 days.
Nope. Everyone has their tax refund sitting at 'authorized' status since April. And no actual refund being given since
Old Jul 24, 20, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by isdnman View Post
Nope. Everyone has their tax refund sitting at 'authorized' status since April. And no actual refund being given since
Any update on the refund?
Old Jul 26, 20, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Nana Lunastra View Post
Were the points redeposited into your account after the flights were cancelled or you have to call Lifemiles? Also did you book the new award flight through Lifemiles?
Hi - Sorry for the late response. I didn't have to call Lifemiles at any point. All handled by email with the Spanish-speaking people. And yes, within about 7 days, the points reappeared.

As you probably know, there's no actual transaction line in your Lifemiles account history showing the points credited back, your balance just goes back up to what it was before the award miles were taken from your account. This all happened OK, and I got an email from [email protected] saying that I would get the taxes credited back, but not the $25 booking fee. No sign of the taxes yet, so I think I will dispute the charge as suggested by another poster.

I did book the new award with Lifemiles entirely on their website. It was IAD>BRU>MAD (UA & SN in C). It showed availability and I took it and traveled on it.

Regarding "cambios operacionales", I have also heard when dealing with Lifemiles people on the phone (always an unpleasant experience!!!!!!!!) that you can ask to speak with someone at "nivel experto" (expert level) and they can solve complex problems. Basically they are the mysterious people at Lifemiles support who actually understand everything and can solve problems. The rest of the phone people are, as others comment, pretty useless. Perhaps they exist to tire you out before you finally reach the experts. I don't know where the experts are, but I'd like to send them a gift to say thanks. When you finally get to speak to them, it's like another world.
Nana Lunastra likes this.

Last edited by Matthew_DC; Jul 26, 20 at 9:36 pm
Old Jul 28, 20, 11:03 am

Has anyone been successful in their credit card dispute to get the taxes back on the cancelled award flight? My card just ruled against me. Said Avianca is providing vouchers instead. Total BS. I am going to keep fighting.

Last edited by arctangent; Jul 28, 20 at 11:24 am
Old Jul 31, 20, 2:24 pm

I was looking over my upcoming trip today for Aug 8th and seen LM canceled my points trip because of Covid they say. Crazy thing is UA is still flying the route CUN-IAH-PUJ. No call/email to notify me. After using chat I was told I had to call because I booked with points. They said the points will be back in my account within 15 days and taxes refunded in 5 months! Reading above I see they haven't refunded taxes since at least April, Should I wait it out or dispute now with AMEX? Dec/Jan I know I won't win a dispute then.
Old Jul 31, 20, 9:54 pm

I also just had a canceled award ticket for no reason for a UA flight in October. No notice or anything and the flight is still on schedule. Something is very fishy here...
Old Aug 1, 20, 3:33 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Could it be that UA has stopped accepting LM award tickets (expecting that LM will not be able to pay for such tickets issued)?
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:02 am

That is what my intuition is telling me as well...does anyone know my recourse for still taking this flight if there are no more award seats available on the UA flight. I split reservations with UA MileagePlus and LM for a UA EWR-TLV for my whole family. The Mileagplus reservations are fine. Can I force LM to ticket me on that plane? Can LM just cancel a reservation for a flight and not adhere to DOT regulations (which require the same or similar fight rebooking for no charge)?
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold
Just checked my Lifemiles acct. My United reservation for November looks OK....
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:28 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
If indeed it is UA cancelling, LM is innocent and can't do anything. I don't see how you will get LM to resolve this. Rebooking will require award availability (and that the carrier accepts LM awards); booking you into revenue class is not going to happen.
Old Aug 2, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Hi guys, just as a point of reference my October ticket on TK Business Class issued by Lifemiles has been cancelled even though TK is still selling the same flights and they don't appear cancelled.
Old Aug 3, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold
OK, did anyone call either Lifemiles or operating carrier?

Last edited by totallyi; Aug 3, 20 at 1:50 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by totallyi View Post
OK, did anyone called either Lifemiles or operating carrier?
I called Turkish and they told me that the flights I had were not cancelled but that they couldn't do anything since Lifemiles had issued my ticket. I called Lifemiles and as always they were completely useless telling me that Turkish had cancelled those flights and were no longer available and they kept hanging up on me when I told them that the same flights are still being sold by Turkish.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Aug 3, 20, 12:45 pm

Programs: banned from AA
My United flight (booked on LifeMiles) from Brazil to USA in Nov 2020 still shows on both LifeMiles and United websites.
Avianca flight from Brazil to Colombia booked on LifeMiles for Jan 2021 still shows.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: