Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
c1 to c1 through c1.5
Old May 21, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330
c1 to c1 through c1.5
Beware of cabotage in some situations.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by shermanx
I know this is old problem, but in a more general context:

if I book with lifemiles: Airline 1, leg 1 - Airline 2, leg 2 - Airline 3, leg 3, no code share;

when I check in with Airline 1, will Airline 1 be able to see my leg 2, and leg 3? Sometimes they are not even able to print out boarding passes for leg 2 and leg 3, will they care about visa requirement for Destination 3? (btw I am interested in only first two legs)

Rookie in this and really trying to get some help! your input is appreciated.
Nobody can tell you this for sure. From my experience, airlines CAN see your entire itinerary. If they don't ask to you for a visa for destination 3, you got lucky. Which could happen. But don't plan on it.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think the LM system has manually coded in cabotage routes as sold out as you suggest, which still leaves using our northern neighbor for one segment. But I also think they have over-coded and jetcity will always shows as sold out, even where space is available for both segments and I use the north neighbor. I had some time to kill this evening and can confirm that by keeping all parameters same but switching to another US city showing *A availability that I can get the boomerang to show up. First world problem, but I can't start from home.

Originally Posted by scibuff
hmm, in theory i may be possible, if those were the only flights with availability; just as it does for a few other boomerangs without forcing the airline (then again, I've never seen it on this route - that's why I said *in theory*)

pretty sure the lm system shows all possible cabotage routes in there as sold out (not necessarily true for other routes/regions)
Old May 21, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
so are you saying I cant board my flight from c1 to c1 through c1.5?
Old May 21, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
so are you saying I cant board my flight from c1 to c1 through c1.5?
This is getting REALLY repetitive now!

Is C1 and C1 the same country? If so, is the operating carrier from that country?
Old May 21, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba

Is C1 and C1 the same country? If so, is the operating carrier from that country?
Perhaps you would consider adding this (minus the rant ) to what I put in the wiki.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: A3, M&M, LM, DM
Visa

Originally Posted by shermanx
I know this is old problem, but in a more general context:

if I book with lifemiles: Airline 1, leg 1 - Airline 2, leg 2 - Airline 3, leg 3, no code share;

when I check in with Airline 1, will Airline 1 be able to see my leg 2, and leg 3? Sometimes they are not even able to print out boarding passes for leg 2 and leg 3, will they care about visa requirement for Destination 3? (btw I am interested in only first two legs)

Rookie in this and really trying to get some help! your input is appreciated.
I was asking different people, working in the Airport of Zurich about this Problem. They told me all more or less the same.

If you are boarding for an LX flight in your first leg, they don’t care about Visa requirement in leg 3. But if you want to board for example SQ on your first leg, you will get in real trouble if you cannot show a Visa for your last leg.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:57 pm

is it possible to do C1-C3-C1 boomerang? I have tried and havent been able to find anything. Also, C3-C2-C3 boomerang, would someone help me out with a PM since the route will be much tougher after june 1st due to airline operational chances. I am trying to go C3S-C2-C3N. Thanks
Old May 22, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba

No. I understand the laws. I just don't know if they will enforce it. The departing airline isn't a USA flag. I'm not doing it. I just found it amusing when doing a c1 to c1 search for a up coming flight.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
is it possible to do C1-C3-C1 boomerang? I have tried and havent been able to find anything. Also, C3-C2-C3 boomerang, would someone help me out with a PM since the route will be much tougher after june 1st due to airline operational chances. I am trying to go C3S-C2-C3N. Thanks
I haven't found a c1-c3 boomer, but for that same effect I just use the candyland trick. That gets you to one of two cities for same cost as the boomer you're looking for. Maybe north of where you want to be in c3, but its a start.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
I just don't know if they will enforce it.
Neither does anyone here.

They may, they may not. Some have flown rule breaking itineraries, others have been denied boarding.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: AP 75k
Everyone's over in the MR forum today
Old May 22, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
I haven't found a c1-c3 boomer, but for that same effect I just use the candyland trick.
A half island can be as good as a whole island.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:04 pm

Over that economy pseudo-RTW (that I presume is a fuel dump) fare?
Economy, meh...

Originally Posted by chocobill
Everyone's over in the MR forum today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.