Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Maayan
Why waste your time on FD, which pertains primarily to travel in Y, when LM and USDM let you fly around the world cheaply and in class? I haven't bought an int'l ticket in over three years. Miles is the way the go, while it lasts.
I need to look into USDM, could be useful to tap into the OW carriers.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Why waste your time on FD, which pertains primarily to travel in Y, when LM and USDM let you fly around the world cheaply and in class? I haven't bought an int'l ticket in over three years. Miles is the way the go, while it lasts.
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Me too. Haven't done that so far. Thanks for the motivation
Old May 18, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
interesting in that context - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22740666-post528.html

poster detailing an RT routing which could be useful to users of LM miles - always useful to meld programs together....
Old May 18, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Actually 3X definition is when you book AAA-BBB, CCC-DDD, EEE-FFF. There is no requirement for the second leg to be the reverse of the first leg.

You don't have to use it here if you don't like it. zainman found it good for use here, and so do I. The LM boomerangs are exactly one ticket with a 2X or even a 3X.
Thank you maayan. That is exactly what I meant when I used 3X.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by catharsis
interesting in that context - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22740666-post528.html

poster detailing an RT routing which could be useful to users of LM miles - always useful to meld programs together....
Hi! I'm here too!
Old May 18, 2014, 4:38 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking at a C2-C3 (south-east) trick right now but I feel like something that was possible before is not anymore, tried everything, even changing times. So now I'm wondering if it ever was available (but I have it written down on my notebook so...).

I would be grateful if someone with knowledge about this would PM me so I check whether I dreamt it or not.

I don't want to say too much publicly but i'm still able to make it work some other way, just want to check.

Thanks !
Old May 18, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by zainman
Thank you maayan. That is exactly what I meant when I used 3X.
Actually its not. You're still not getting it. The 3x leg is completely un connected. You can't use a 3x on lm.... simple as that. You are talking about completely different things altogether.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dewby
Got to love LM.

The emotion, the up and down, the disappearing then reappearing of odd and cheap routes. The dialogue. It's slightly addictive. The rudeness at times and the sheer panic when someone outs a route that's very important to an individual for comfort of travel.

I am convinced that most of us just like to find something quirky. Finding is almost as much ( I said almost) fun as getting it cheap and then flying it.

I need some candy and determined to do it before it goes away.
This is likely my favorite post of 2014. I like not justifying irregular vacations as massive savings and rather just doing something fun and weird just for the hell of it. Some of the 'deals' I've followed genuinely don't make sense if one did not have an intention to go to a certain place at a certain time. However, they gave a fun context in which to try something. The world is a big place, and there are many potential places to visit. I like how FT kind of pushes me toward somewhere I might not otherwise visit because it is massively more affordable at a certain time.

Last edited by abitlost; May 18, 2014 at 11:24 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Just started to play around with this and found C5 - C2 for 15k in economy. Don't see any availability for business though.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by montezume
Just started to play around with this and found C5 - C2 for 15k in economy. Don't see any availability for business though.
There were quite a few such 2X to choose from for 27.5K in Business. My list is about 6 months old though.

EDIT: right after posting this, with "2X", FlyerTalk presented me with this AMEX ad:

So someone is paying attention to what I post after all...

Last edited by Maayan; May 19, 2014 at 11:15 am
Old May 19, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: A3 Silver
There were quite a few such 2X to choose from for 27.5K in Business. My list is about 6 months old though.

EDIT: right after posting this, with "2X", FlyerTalk presented me with this AMEX ad:

Looks like they are upping their targeted ad game! Lifemiles should count as an airline transaction though. Too bad amex never gives good promotions to Canadians - _ -

Does one need to play around with the preferred carrier (through firebug) to find dates with business availability on this route?
Old May 19, 2014, 11:23 am

Does one need to play around with the preferred carrier (through firebug) to find dates with business availability on this route?
yes
Old May 19, 2014, 11:40 am

No? Why firebug? why not select a preferred carrier from the drop down list?
Old May 19, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
No? Why firebug? why not select a preferred carrier from the drop down list?
Because some of the trick cities don't populate when you select preferred carrier
Old May 19, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by imverge
Because some of the trick cities don't populate when you select preferred carrier
Ah, of course, sorry. Thought we're talking about the carrier here...

But: there are also routes that don't require playing around. Actually more than you might think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.