Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by tng11
I've gotten a very interesting routing for C1-C1, where you can enjoy Do&Co catering on the first two legs via C2, then connecting to C1 via C3. First time I've seen something like that. And no, the DOT won't send you a stink-o-gram for it.
While not always, that routing does show up with some frequency
Old May 15, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: TK Elite
I've gotten a very interesting routing for C1-C1, where you can enjoy Do&Co catering on the first two legs via C2, then connecting to C1 via C3. First time I've seen something like that. And no, the DOT won't send you a stink-o-gram for it.
I am interested :-D
Old May 15, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
While not always, that routing does show up with some frequency
Though it is only available from very few C1e's and you cannot force it as far as I am aware. Usually it would route the other way around.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:47 am

Gee, I've gotten like a million PMs about my post.

I think I already gave two very important hints in my post about what airline it is and where it can start from. It cannot be forced and the availability is rather limited for the C1-C2 segment.

Either way, big savings if you choose just to eat the appetizer or the main course as well.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:57 am

What did you expect?
Old May 15, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Got to love LM.

The emotion, the up and down, the disappearing then reappearing of odd and cheap routes. The dialogue. It's slightly addictive. The rudeness at times and the sheer panic when someone outs a route that's very important to an individual for comfort of travel.

I am convinced that most of us just like to find something quirky. Finding is almost as much ( I said almost) fun as getting it cheap and then flying it.

I need some candy and determined to do it before it goes away.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by dewby
Got to love LM.

The emotion, the up and down, the disappearing then reappearing of odd and cheap routes. The dialogue. It's slightly addictive. The rudeness at times and the sheer panic when someone outs a route that's very important to an individual for comfort of travel.

I am convinced that most of us just like to find something quirky. Finding is almost as much ( I said almost) fun as getting it cheap and then flying it.

Candy is bad for your teeth :-D
Old May 15, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Thumbs up

Got to love LM.

^ plus 1k (miles, of course)
Old May 15, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Got to love LM.

Hah, I completely agree with this. I've actually never flown on a LM ticket, but I'm becoming obsessed with finding awesome routings and learning as much as I can about the program.

Hopefully I'll be able to put all this knowledge to good use before it all (eventually) goes south.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kluever
Hah, I completely agree with this. I've actually never flown on a LM ticket, but I'm becoming obsessed with finding awesome routings and learning as much as I can about the program.

Hopefully I'll be able to put all this knowledge to good use before it all (eventually) goes south.
My first time flying the woodcutters tool (Is this what we are calling it now?) was back in February. Booked it way back in September though. Flew in J with the new seats. Took my father and brother skiing in Switzerland. They had never been to Europe and had never flown Business class either. I remember sitting down in my seat thinking to myself...I can't believe this f$#*ing worked! Using the trick again next week but sadly flying economy. Also using it to fly home from the trip so that will be #3.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:13 am

I think I already gave two very important hints in my post about what airline it is and where it can start from. It cannot be forced and the availability is rather limited for the C1-C2 segment.

Either way, big savings if you choose just to eat the appetizer or the main course as well.
Were you actually able to book it? I don't know the specific one you're talking about but a similar weird one that I can recreate sometimes always gives me an error when trying to book it.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Interested in the call noted one page back referring to DOT interest and cabotage.

There is clearly such geographic confusion at AV, but also just some bad coding.

In the scenario where the booking engine displays AAA-BBB-CCC where first and last segments are in the US and BBB is not, who is to say this is not an instant turn or OJ? I mean people buy AAA-BBB-AAA tickets w/ instant turns all the time for MRs. Is this just the way the fare is coded (as a one way) that brings cabotage into play? There are a staggering number of these that come up, many provide a cheap way to C4 but I think these are high risk of not being allowed to board.

In the scenario where AAA is in the US, BBB is not in the US and CCC is coded as US but not actually in the US, does cabotage apply? Is that the scenario that the poster was referring to? I've always thought this scenario is low risk once you get to the airport, but that if AV caught it, they might seek to cancel it.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
In the scenario where AAA is in the US, BBB is not in the US and CCC is coded as US but not actually in the US, does cabotage apply?
Fortunately the operating carriers see what you see on checkmytrip, not what you see on LM.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by BenSDQ
Do I have to worry about denied boarding due to Cabotage on a trip AAA-BBB-CCC if AAA and CCC are the same continent? Haven't received an answer and its very urgent.
Well if it was that urgent, perhaps you would search for the word 'cabotage' on the thread and see where your question was CLEARLY answered:
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Before we get panic questions, the definition of cabotage is transport between two points in a single country by a foreign carrier. This means that it is NOT cabotage if:
1) a domestic carrier operates at least one segment
2) it is sold as an international ticket, where a foreign country is ticketed as a destination, or a significant stopover (i.e. longer than 24 hours according to the DOT). This is why same-day-turn mile runs on foreign carriers are not cabotage.
3) AAA-XXX-BBB is never cabotage if AAA and BBB are not in the same country.
Originally Posted by scibuff
Why would that matter that is it not a thru fare? It still is carriage by a non Australian operator of passengers originating and terminating in Australia (without a stopover)
My guess judging from US law would be #2 above. There could also be treaties or other law that apply, most of this discussion is based on US law.
Originally Posted by shermanx
Does any one have experience about potential cabotage violation for China? Does HK count as China in that case? How about Taipei? and this includes the complications for EVA/Air China. ...
China recognizes both TPE and HKG as 'other countries' for the purpose of their transit visas, I'm guessing you won't have many problems there. http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/
Originally Posted by kimielee
I have this ticket in J involving 2 different companies which don't appear to have the same luggage allowance, one allows 2 bags, 32kg (70lbs) the other 3 bags, 23kg (50lbs).
The one I'll be boarding first is the 32kg one.
Considering this is me moving to the other end of the world, I would like to use the two 32kg luggages but I'm not sure how that works. If anyone can enlighten me.
If it's a single ticket and you don't have to claim and re-check your luggage at any point, whatever you get onto the first carrier for free should get to your final destination with no charges.

Worst case, if you do need to claim and re-check, pack a lightweight collapsible third bag or box and roll of packing tape into one of your 32 kg bags, then redistribute the weight between three bags/boxes before you re-check.
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
You are welcome. Your name appeared here for the first time a couple of weeks ago. You seem to work hard and have acquired a quick understanding of the fundamentals. Congratulations.
Nicer than I would be to someone who took a hint I gave via PM and re-posted it on a public forum. <shrug>

In a side note, I agree with the people who disappointed at how far the thread has gone downhill in terms of coding in the last 5 or so pages. Really hope my post wasn't the cause. If anyone wants edits, please PM me (or the original poster) and ask them to edit. Don't quote the offensive post!

Last edited by janetdoe; May 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Old May 15, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
can someone who has stopped short of c2.5 kindly pm regarding checking bags and "that changes everything"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.