Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by zagy
I've noticed that if you try to trick C1-C2 J with a certain type of trick, Avianca starts to "interfere" and offers it's own flights.

Any chance to prevent that?
If both airports are operated by AV/TA even specifying the preferred airline the system forces AV/TA flights.

Last edited by scibuff; Mar 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by scibuff
If both airports are operated by AV/TA even specifying the preferred airline the system forces AV/TA flights.
Nope, sometimes it's enough if one of the airports is served by AV/TA, and a routing can be constructed...

For instance I've seen MAD (and BCN) to some far away destination, which when tied to UA forced IAD as a transfer airport in C1. And AV/TA changed the direct flight MAD-IAD (and even the combination BCN-EWR-IAD) into a combination of their flights, even though the final destination airport is not served by AV/TA.

Seems their algorithm is fetching the route served by *A, looking for replacement possibilities inside.

I've found this only happens if the origin is served by them, so if you start somewhere else, it won't happen.
If someone finds this to happen also if ONLY the destination is served by AV/TA please let me know.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
Nope, sometimes it's enough if one of the airports is served by AV/TA, and a routing can be constructed...

For instance I've seen MAD (and BCN) to some far away destination, which when tied to UA forced IAD as a transfer airport in C1. And AV/TA changed the direct flight MAD-IAD (and even the combination BCN-EWR-IAD) into a combination of their flights, even though the final destination airport is not served by AV/TA.

Seems their algorithm is fetching the route served by *A, looking for replacement possibilities inside.

I've found this only happens if the origin is served by them, so if you start somewhere else, it won't happen.
If someone finds this to happen also if ONLY the destination is served by AV/TA please let me know.
But would that happen if you set United (for example), as the preferred airline?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:38 am

But would that happen if you set United (for example), as the preferred airline?
This happens only when you set the preferred airline. If you leave that to "SS" for instance you get totally different routings from MAD/BCN to that place far away. Not what I want
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:37 pm

Here is a possible workaround for the annoying captcha, apart from creating multiple accounts

(1) make enough search requests in a single session to get a captcha
(2) once the captcha overlay appears click on "close", open a new tab in the same browser, go to lifemiles and logout
(3) go back to the tab with your search form and run the search ...

Doing this should also prevent the capcha to appear in the first place as there will be no active session in which the system could count the searches

Last edited by scibuff; Mar 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:05 pm

Saving from FRA to EZE or GIG is possible. Just saying....
In J, by the way.
Not that hard to find, it seems ;-)

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Mar 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reason: corrected
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: SEN
Saving from FRA to EZE or GIG is possible. Just saying....
Not easy to find, though. In J, by the way.
Managed to save 15k to GIG in my first attempt Thanks for the inspiration!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by superpointsLXflyer
Managed to save 15k to GIG in my first attempt Thanks for the inspiration!
Great, next try: GRU
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: SEN
Great, next try: GRU
I found GRU as well- from FRA and MUC. Slide of horror only.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:21 pm

Here is a possible workaround for the annoying captcha, apart from creating multiple accounts

(2) once the captcha overlay appears click on "close", open a new tab in the same browser, go to lifemiles and logout

Doing this should also prevent the capcha to appear in the first place as there will be no active session in which the system could count the searches
This lets your run through the weeks uninterrupted, but as far as I can tell when you eventually return to the search screen you need to log in again and repeat?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Maayan
This lets your run through the weeks uninterrupted, but as far as I can tell when you eventually return to the search screen you need to log in again and repeat?
Yes, you'd need to log in at the search page, then open a tab, log out, and you're free to run another search without captchas. I use KeePass so logging in is just a matter of alt+tab & ctrl+v. But yeah, this is especially useful to search weeks throughout the year; not so much to repeat same date search using different airports (to log in and log out after a single search is more work than filling out a simple captcha).
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: A3, M&M, LM, DM
Originally Posted by zagy
I've noticed that if you try to trick C1-C2 J with a certain type of trick, Avianca starts to "interfere" and offers it's own flights.

Any chance to prevent that?
I had this several times, when forcing a search to LX. The System routed me to BOG and SAL before XXX.

Last edited by SwissTraveller78; Mar 24, 2014 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: A3, M&M, LM, DM

That would be great…… I hate to see this captcha the whole night.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:13 pm

Oy vey! LM have changed the website in the last hour or so. The 7-day calendar is now showing only 5 days, and the Previous and Next links are different.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Maayan
Oy vey! LM have changed the website in the last hour or so. The 7-day calendar is now showing only 5 days, and the Previous and Next links are different.
Interesting, I didn't notice, though I've actively searched the system for the last couple of hours, but you're right. There were intermittent errors, that I noticed.

And by the way, only the link text has changed (and of course the parameter that indicates how many days to jump forward), the page structure is as of yet unchanged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.