Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 10:15 pm

How do you know if you are seeing phantom award space? I was looking at flights on JuicyMiles & Avianca for EVA flights with the 15% discount. If they show on Avianca, but not on United is that an indication it might not be available? Or, does Avianaca sometimes show EVA availability that United doesn't?
Old May 29, 2019, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
How do you know if you are seeing phantom award space? I was looking at flights on JuicyMiles & Avianca for EVA flights with the 15% discount. If they show on Avianca, but not on United is that an indication it might not be available? Or, does Avianaca sometimes show EVA availability that United doesn't?
There are numerous of occasions where LM can (or was able to) book space that is NOT available on UA.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Lifemiles sometimes has EVA availability that United does not have (and vice versa).
Old May 29, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I can't book even point on point on any AC flights, any date, any itinerary without getting the sorry error.

No availability on United on any flights - even basic point to point trunk domestic routes like IAH-ORD.

Was able to book LH so definitely seems to be these two carriers.

Last edited by YXUFlyboy; May 29, 2019 at 4:27 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I can't book even point on point on any AC flights, any date, any itinerary without getting the sorry error.

No availability on United on any flights - even basic point to point trunk domestic routes like IAH-ORD.

Was able to book LH so definitely seems to be these two carriers.
For AC flights - try selecting AC as the airline instead of "smart search" - this has worked for me in the past. Not sure about UA but worth giving it a try.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by pschafer
For AC flights - try selecting AC as the airline instead of "smart search" - this has worked for me in the past. Not sure about UA but worth giving it a try.
It was working. I think there is a problem between Air Canada and LifeMiles at the moment. LH is working fine.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Alaska MVP
More UA struggles. A flight I'm looking at HDN-SFO 1Feb20 shows up on Aeroplan and United with 9+ X class available, but swing and a miss with AV. In the past logging out and logging back in and using a different browser sometimes worked. Nothing seems to be working this time. Tried searching United instead of Smart Search as suggested.

Those 7,500 mile o/w flights west of the Rockies are great but not much use if they don't show up online.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Ditto.

No dice for me on UA either. UA.com, Aeroplan et al validate ample inventory.

Has me worried a bit, I was hoping to unload the last of my miles
Old May 30, 2019, 3:30 pm

I think UA is blocked at the moment. Could try a manual booking.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by ktenorman
More UA struggles. A flight I'm looking at HDN-SFO 1Feb20 shows up on Aeroplan and United with 9+ X class available, but swing and a miss with AV. In the past logging out and logging back in and using a different browser sometimes worked. Nothing seems to be working this time. Tried searching United instead of Smart Search as suggested.

Those 7,500 mile o/w flights west of the Rockies are great but not much use if they don't show up online.
Maybe has something to do with updates intra US they announced for July . 6000 LM and $10 will be even better if the website is fixed. Not sure its best to jump ship, I missed booking LH F for 81k (iad-fra-hel)last week by 4 minutes (you need to book at least 8 hours before flight time if online and didn't know of this cutoff). The flight had 4 seats available from IAD-FRA in F that day which is amazing. Ended up in J on the later flight to MUC which was very meh, but can't complain too much as its better to sleep at 11pm not 6pm. Also a 1.5 hr layover in the FCT is not what I would choose, and the screenshot method apparently won't work last minute, and they won't do it over the phone, so for LH F, its tough to swing a longer connection.

If you know the limitations of the program and can accept them, its a bargain. Can't wait for the next 30% citi bonus, but I know that it might take 2 months to get the points which everyone should be wary of.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:04 am

[QUOTE=moops380;31156604]Maybe has something to do with updates intra US they announced for July . 6000 LM and $10 will be even better if the website is fixed.

Are you thinking it might not be fixed until July? If that's the case, I'll stop searching the Lifemiles site every single day and have some patience.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:09 am

[QUOTE=Bellacricket;31156957]
Originally Posted by moops380
Maybe has something to do with updates intra US they announced for July . 6000 LM and $10 will be even better if the website is fixed.

Are you thinking it might not be fixed until July? If that's the case, I'll stop searching the Lifemiles site every single day and have some patience.
Hope that isn't the case. But if you search united and see space and then search LM and its not there, probably wait a few more days before attempting again. Whenever this is fixed and my short flights are 6000 and $10+$5.60 this will be my go-to in the states for last minute non cross-country trips. If they have the 30% transfer bonuses every now and then this is the very best option (assuming last min). Also to europe for 46k citi typ (30%) and $52 in fees is a bargain in J (would have been 62k in F, even better). I also keep ANA, krisflyer, AC, UA *A miles (or an instant transfer away) and just go with whichever is the best also accounting for the united $75 fee, etc. I think amex points are worth the most so I tend to use those last (ANA and AC, or previously just .02 in cash, now .0154 when you have the right card(s)). Hope they can figure it out soon.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:16 am

Short flights from a western regional airport to a United hub in Denver will be a great way to use Lifemiles. I plan pretty far in advance for most of my trips, so this is why I am frustrated by the lack of availability. Since that short flight is the first leg of my planned trip, I really can't move forward until I know what that flight will be.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
I cannot find a single available flight on lifemiles the past few days, no days no routes, am I missing something?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by yuel
I cannot find a single available flight on lifemiles the past few days, no days no routes, am I missing something?
You must be. I booked LAX-TPE on BR in J last night with no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.