Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by kvom
Now that Amex MR are transferable to LM, I was told by Amex that the transfer can take up to 48 hours. Is it at all possible for Avianca to hold an itinerary while the transfer is in process? Or do you have to hope availability won't disappear in the next 2 days after the transfer is begun?
you can hack your way through to the result you want, as long as you have the 40% miles minimum needed to make your booking, Simply purposefully "mistype" your credit card details and let the payment error out, but make sure to get the PNR (booking code) on the screen that comes up after entering credit card but before the error.
then, wait 2 days, get your miles, and then call LM with the PNR, explain there was an error, and then chose to pay with 100% miles you should now have in your account.
(this is similar to the now-dead United Mileageplus paypal hack....where you purposely postponed payment via paypal to indirectly put a hold to your award ticket!)

or, use screenshot and hope by the time they get back to you, you will have the miles in your account.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:26 pm

I recently converted Thank You points to Lifemiles and miles posted same day. Today I logged in and noticed that miles are no longer in my account. Under Lifemiles account activity I no longer see applicable Citi transaction. There are also no transactions explaining disappearance of miles. Has this every happened to anyone? Should I contact Avianca or is this possibly some technical glitch that will resolve on its own? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by jktraveler
I recently converted Thank You points to Lifemiles and miles posted same day. Today I logged in and noticed that miles are no longer in my account. Under Lifemiles account activity I no longer see applicable Citi transaction. There are also no transactions explaining disappearance of miles. Has this every happened to anyone? Should I contact Avianca or is this possibly some technical glitch that will resolve on its own? Thanks in advance.
Not Citi related but about about a month ago I had my entire LifeMiles balance disappear and the next day the miles reappeared without me sending an email. It was very odd.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yup, I had mikes disappear and reappear multiple times last month. Award Wallet tracker went crazy. Give it a day, if nothing I would reach out.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by demue
Yup, got it. I admit, I was too lazy to install Firefox and get this working. May have to pay the price now as the availability in LM for my desired itinerary seems to have vanished while LM support team just got in touch to say they forwarded my offline booking request to the appropriate team. YMMV.
Well it took LM 3 days to pick up my booking request and create the PNR. Of course, my desired flights had vanished and they constructed some similar itinerary using other carriers and partially in Eco vs. Biz which I'll not call in for to confirm as I could have booked that largely myself and has undesirable cartiers and seat products.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:02 pm

Well it took LM 3 days to pick up my booking request and create the PNR. Of course, my desired flights had vanished and they constructed some similar itinerary using other carriers and partially in Eco vs. Biz which I'll not call in for to confirm as I could have booked that largely myself and has undesirable cartiers and seat products.
But also sometimes they rebook to very desirable but impossible to book carriers/seat combos in such cases. Guess you were out of luck.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Million Miler, SW, Hilton (Diamond), Bonvoy (Gold), Hyatt
I received an email from LM giving a link that gives 4x LMs by using booking.com. This would be a good way to bump expiration date for miles in the account.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
But also sometimes they rebook to very desirable but impossible to book carriers/seat combos in such cases. Guess you were out of luck.
I hear you, luck of the draw in this case. Can't win them all.

To be fair, the one thing they did that I wasn't able to do online was adding a domestic feeder flight in a lower cabin that doesn't even get pulled up when doing the online search. So I can definitely see how this can go both ways.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Yup, I had mikes disappear and reappear multiple times last month. Award Wallet tracker went crazy. Give it a day, if nothing I would reach out.
I had the same thing with Award Wallet showing zero balance on every second refresh...when I logged in to LM though my balance was always correct.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I have an itinerary that is showing up when searched separately so I sent in screenshots via email 10 days ago, and an agent said she has forwarded it to the support team.
After four days later and no contact from support team, I sent a follow up email which the initial agent forwarded again to the support team.

Six more days have passed and still no PNR created, no email from support team, nor any calls.

I tried phoning the LM call centre but they are not able to book it and told me to email the support team.

Do you guys have any other suggestions or is there a way to call the support team directly?
Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lsed
I have an itinerary that is showing up when searched separately so I sent in screenshots via email 10 days ago, and an agent said she has forwarded it to the support team.
After four days later and no contact from support team, I sent a follow up email which the initial agent forwarded again to the support team.

Six more days have passed and still no PNR created, no email from support team, nor any calls.

I tried phoning the LM call centre but they are not able to book it and told me to email the support team.

Do you guys have any other suggestions or is there a way to call the support team directly?
Thanks in advance!
The only time I've ever spoken with the support team has been to actually pay for a booking after it's been created. As in your case, they only set up bookings by email.

Did you try both email addresses? 'support' always seems to work rather than the Spanish language version ('supporte' or similar).

10 days is too long for them to get back to you.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Yeah I emailed both addresses,
"support" replies quickly that they have pushed my request to the 'specalized department' but until now still nothing - no PNR, no calls

I have sent them a third reminder. In the meantime I'm really wondering if I should ever purchase more miles from them.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:36 pm

Is this just a Problem or The Way It Is?

I can see quite a few award flights availability to Asia from the US by such partner airlines as ANA, Asiana, UA and EVA (less with Singapore). Especially out of SFO & SFO, even in the dead of hot summer months on Biz and First classes.

But I just can't see almost any (just extremely small options...) awards flights available on any class to Europe, even on a low season.. Am I having a problem with the booking system? Or is this the way it is???

It the latter, using Avianca miles for European (especially biz class) flights is almost unimaginable. Can anyone shed a light on this?

michaelmorio
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I can see quite a few award flights availability to Asia from the US by such partner airlines as ANA, Asiana, UA and EVA (less with Singapore). Especially out of SFO & SFO, even in the dead of hot summer months on Biz and First classes.

But I just can't see almost any (just extremely small options...) awards flights available on any class to Europe, even on a low season.. Am I having a problem with the booking system? Or is this the way it is???

It the latter, using Avianca miles for European (especially biz class) flights is almost unimaginable. Can anyone shed a light on this?

michaelmorio
US to Europe is my standard routing, almost always out of MIA, and LM my go-to option, several times a year. I usually book within 2 or 3 weeks before departure and pretty much always find availability in business class and the occasional first class LH seat pops up as well. Have a flight coming up this weekend and choices are between LH and LX, both available. Yes, sometimes LM can be a bit of a pain, certainly when you need something changed or cancelled but the fact that I can buy discounted miles and pay very low fees only makes up for that easily.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:03 pm

Especially with LH & LX I have found availability better closer in to travel, e.g. within next 4 weeks max as other also shared. Further out it becomes very sparse and pretty hit and miss though there are occasional finds on the odd weekday departure (e.g. unloved Tuesdays). Not comforting to rely on that without a backup in place of course. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.