Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Can you see ticket numbers on CMT...these would show under the passenger name(s)? Confirmed bookings are nothing without tickets.

Based on what you are seeing though it certainly sounds like you need to speak to them.
No. It just says confirmed, with no ticket number. Yes, I will send off an e-mail.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mahoe_
Hello guys,

does anyone has problems with booking by screenhot? I tried to book a C-F-C ticket on OS-TG-TG and received the following feedback from the LM support:

...We apologize the delay in our response. Let us inform you that since the manual booking you are requesting will be a mixed cabin redemption, the miles are going to be calculated per segment and cabin...

Seems that LM now wants to charge each leg, instead area A —> area B

Has anyone made a similar expirience?
Yeah I got a simlar reply from one agent. They wanted to charge 130k for a 62k booking.
I sent another email and got a different agent who booked it!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: SK, LH
Originally Posted by bittihuduga
need some input.
i need to book LH flights using LM.
I know anything within the next few weeks we can book easily.
but i need flights in december.. around 2nd or 3rd week of december.
from experience does anyone if LH blocks seats for redemption in december?
i am talking DUB to FRA to BLR route.
anyone any ideas??
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Maybe re email and try and get a different agent, some will do it.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
anyone any ideas??
You're talking F or J? F I don't know - I can't recall trying for seats at that time of year. If it's biz class, the seats would have already been released and presumably snapped up. I'm not aware of any specific blackout dates. If you haven't already done so, you can cross reference with UA's tool (for J class in advance).
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:55 am

thanks I was talking about J on LH. i couldnt find anything in december. let me check UA tool.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
thanks I was talking about J on LH. i couldnt find anything in december. let me check UA tool.
No availability on FRA-BLR direct flights. You are too late to get these high season tickets.
I dont see any way you can avoid Air India, unless you find an alternative that doesn't use Lifemiles.
December 14th and 16th are the only dates I found with business class all the way (SAS-Air India via CPH and DEL)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
No availability on FRA-BLR direct flights. You are too late to get these high season tickets.
I dont see any way you can avoid Air India, unless you find an alternative that doesn't use Lifemiles.
December 14th and 16th are the only dates I found with business class all the way (SAS-Air India via CPH and DEL)
thank you tokyoite for checking. i was meant to fly in august which had good availability but its been pushed to december now. to make it worse i need total 2 adults 1 child.
i may have to forget december then
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
thank you tokyoite for checking. i was meant to fly in august which had good availability but its been pushed to December now. to make it worse i need total 2 adults 1 child. I may have to forget December then
If it is a "must travel" situation, then my best suggestion is for you to book 3 economy class tickets for your family.

Some questions to ponder on before you get to a decision to forget December.
Must you fly Lufthansa? (as opposed to other airlines. I even gave you an alternative.)
Must you fly from Dublin? (as opposed to other European airports such as Manchester, Brussels or Paris that are served by many more star alliance airlines but with lower taxes applied to award tickets)
Must you use Lifemiles? (as opposed to any other miles balances you may have)
Must you use award tickets? (as opposed to cash tickets)
Must you fly business class award tickets? (as opposed to cheaper economy class)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:37 pm

thank you.. definitely valid points there.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:34 am

Has anyone's booking ever failed with the following error message:
We have charged your credit card the cost of this transaction, but the reservation will be finished by our support team. Your reservation record is ******. For any question contact our Call Center Option 3 or send us an email
LifeMiles Team.
At least I have a reservation code, but I'm not sure why it failed.

UPDATE: I called Avianca and they said the ticket will be issued within 24 hours. Just getting a little antsy since my departure is in a few days.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jun 28, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Has anyone's booking ever failed with the following error message:

At least I have a reservation code, but I'm not sure why it failed.

UPDATE: I called Avianca and they said the ticket will be issued within 24 hours. Just getting a little antsy since my departure is in a few days.
No never seen that before
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:06 pm

Good news! Tickets seem to have worked out. Getting the reservation code was key, even though the booking did not finish on Avianca's website.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:41 am

Looking at acquiring a small amount of points in the next promo - just confirming the screenshot method works for connections between 8 and 24 hours. I have used it before successfully, just want confirmation it hasn't changed.

Want to book HKG-PER. And the flight doesn't show

The flight sectors I want are

HKG-BKK-SIN-PER

Is this a legal routing (given how little we know of LM's routing rules)

Also - with the screenshot method - are you able to buy lifemiles. ie - let's say I have 22000 points and want to acquire 18000 points as part of the booking. I know you can do that if the booking shows online - but can you also do it via screenshot?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by baggyred
Looking at acquiring a small amount of points in the next promo - just confirming the screenshot method works for connections between 8 and 24 hours. I have used it before successfully, just want confirmation it hasn't changed.

Want to book HKG-PER. And the flight doesn't show

The flight sectors I want are

HKG-BKK-SIN-PER

Is this a legal routing (given how little we know of LM's routing rules)

Also - with the screenshot method - are you able to buy lifemiles. ie - let's say I have 22000 points and want to acquire 18000 points as part of the booking. I know you can do that if the booking shows online - but can you also do it via screenshot?
yes, miles+pay is available via the screenshot method. I indicate in the original email that I wish to pay with a mix of miles and cash (if you know the exact amounts, you should tell them).

yes, you can have transits longer than 8 hours via screenshot.

I have seen itineraries similar to the one you are wanting.
baggyred likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.