Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Is anyone else having trouble trying to search award bookings on the Lifemiles site? I keep getting it hanging up. I don’t find it that intuitive either. Especially if you want to try a new search, you still get the old search appearing in the boxes above the three day calendar. The mile lion bonus offer is good but I’m beginning to get skeptical about giving over any of my money.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Ellice
Is anyone else having trouble trying to search award bookings on the Lifemiles site? I keep getting it hanging up. I don’t find it that intuitive either. Especially if you want to try a new search, you still get the old search appearing in the boxes above the three day calendar. The mile lion bonus offer is good but I’m beginning to get skeptical about giving over any of my money.
Is anyone else NOT having trouble?

The definition of LifeMiles award booking search is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

I search the exact same route over and over again and the results vary each and every search. I have booked two 1st class international bookings previously and am pleased with LifeMiles. More often than not I book one half of the trip with LifeMiles and the other half of the trip with a more reliable resource such as United or AA.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:43 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Is anyone else NOT having trouble?
I made a booking (SIN-IAH) just minutes after your posting, so, yes, there are some of us NOT having problems.

That said, there's plenty of room for improvement, especially in showing all flight-options from all carriers.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I usually* have no troubles booking an award so I guess I was due.

I just found a seat in F (NRT-LAX) and proceeded booking as normal. I got to the end, the screen went blank for about a minute (but there was still some sort of activity), and then came back with an error message - something about "try again later". I then logged out, back in, and tried again. Before I could even select the same flight again I received an email from LM with my itinerary but the miles hadn't been deducted. I logged out and then back in and that seemed to refresh my account and the trip was there and the miles deducted. So strange. But not really when it comes to their website.

* only when I use a virtual number on my credit card, otherwise the charge will be declined.

Last edited by TEDisgone; May 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
* only when I use a virtual number on my credit card, otherwise the charge will be declined.
Huh, that's an interesting tip. Which bank issues your credit card? I know Citi provides virtual numbers, not sure about others.

With Chase, the charges went through, but every single time (3 times in a row), they called afterwards to verify it. I'm glad they do that, but since the card is in my wife's name, it makes it kind of hard to surprise her with a trip .
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by snic
Huh, that's an interesting tip. Which bank issues your credit card? I know Citi provides virtual numbers, not sure about others.
I use my Citi card for virtual numbers - I'm never cancelling as long as they offer this service! My Chase and Amex cards would get declined with LM so I wondered if using a VN would work and it did. I won't even try another card now.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I use my Citi card for virtual numbers - I'm never cancelling as long as they offer this service! My Chase and Amex cards would get declined with LM so I wondered if using a VN would work and it did. I won't even try another card now.
what is a virtual number?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
A one time use credit card number.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Pr...ccount-Numbers

I've used a few in the past, linked to my Paypal account. They are handy if you need a US or UK credit card but you are not a citizen/resident.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Is anyone else having trouble with UA Y transatlantic? Trying to book IAD-LHR or EDI-IAD, and I'm not showing any availability over multiple days where Aeroplan/ANA show availability.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:08 pm

Not sure if this is a right place to ask, but I just booked a ticket for my parent with Eva using Lifemile. Do your guys know where can i get the record locator from LifeMile to select seat with Eva? thank you!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:44 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Not sure if this is a right place to ask, but I just booked a ticket for my parent with Eva using Lifemile. Do your guys know where can i get the record locator from LifeMile to select seat with Eva? thank you!
Try using the LM record locator on the EVA web site. Last time I booked BR using LM miles, that worked.

(Oh, in case you're wondering where to find the LM record locator, it's on the "Lifemiles award ticket redemption" e-mail you should have received shortly after booking.)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW
(Oh, in case you're wondering where to find the LM record locator, it's on the "Lifemiles award ticket redemption" e-mail you should have received shortly after booking.)
*eventually*

Sometimes they don't send it.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
did you note down the booking code as requested by the website on the page immediately after entering your credit card details?
if you don’t have the booking code and didn’t get the email from LifeMiles, then you’ll have to call in and request for it.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
To my astonishment, I successfully booked two different *A itineraries just now, with no errors and no need to involve LifeMiles support. A few things about the process:

1. Surprisingly, United didn't show the flights I was interested in, but LifeMiles did. I was convinced this was a LM glitch, but I was wrong.

2. Using Chrome, the page hung when I clicked on the link to buy the tickets. (Edge just hung all the time.) When I switched to Chrome incognito mode, it worked fine. So it's probably some nonsense with a cookie previously placed by lifemiles.com.

3. After entering credit card info and clicking "purchase", a screen comes up with the confirmation code, but this screen appears to hang. It took a long time (4 or 5 minutes?) but eventually I got a message saying the booking was successful.

4. I used the same Chase credit card I'd used previously. Before, I got text messages from Chase asking if this purchase was legitimate. This time, there were no messages.

Last edited by snic; Mar 14, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by snic
1. Surprisingly, United didn't show the flights I was interested in, but LifeMiles did.
Can I ask which airline? I'm guessing something like J in LH/LX/OS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.