Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Does anyone have recent experience with Aussie credit cards being rejected while ticketing, and Lifemiles cancelling the reservation after two rejections by the credit card company?
The first bit happened to me today. Trying a booking on AC, it failed after submitting the payment details. I called AMEX who insisted they haven't received any request from Avianca side.

I called LM and was told someone from payment department will contact me within 24 hours. He also asked which of the booking I wanted to keep (since I tried twice in futile).

In the past I have been able to redeem quite easily, except once about 3 years ago when AMEX suspended the transaction from their side. This is the first time that it fails from LM side.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
someone should edit the wiki above....
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:16 am

Never received a call as promised. I ended up trying to book the same flight online and the payment got accepted - took almost a minute waiting for it to go through.

LM still hit and miss
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:43 am

In most cases it is the card/issuer causing all the trouble. Overseas transactions are very likely to be frowned upon (declined) by the issuing bank/institution.

After dozens and dozens of bookings, I never had a single problem with the payment.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
In most cases it is the card/issuer causing all the trouble. Overseas transactions are very likely to be frowned upon (declined) by the issuing bank/institution.

After dozens and dozens of bookings, I never had a single problem with the payment.
Yes, had cards when booking LifeMile awards that didn't go through due to fraud alert protection (El Salvador and Colombia are very high red flagged countries by some card/bank issuers; much, much crime coming out of central and Latin America, ditto Africa (Nigeria in particular) and Eastern Europe (Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Moldova, Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Belarus) and south and central Asia countries (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka) are also notorious for credit card criminal activity.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Yes, had cards when booking LifeMile awards that didn't go through due to fraud alert protection (El Salvador and Colombia are very high red flagged countries by some card/bank issuers; much, much crime coming out of central and Latin America, ditto Africa (Nigeria in particular) and Eastern Europe (Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Moldova, Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Belarus) and south and central Asia countries (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka) are also notorious for credit card criminal activity.
Off topic but I am from one of the countries in Eastern Europe, having a merchant account and processing online payments (a lot of them). I see 10x more fraud from US than any other country within the mentioned. My merchant account is EU based (not Latin America) and I see A LOT of declines by US banks due to the offshore nature of it. I have customers complaining to me on a daily basis why are their charges being declined when it is their card issuer that is declining it.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:24 pm

AMEX has always been good with approving my LifeMiles transactions without failure.

I've tried three different Visa/Mastercard cards in succession before, and they all end up being blocked at some point when making a LifeMiles transaction unless I call them and tell them to release the security hold. Apparently it's because they sometimes do a $1 USD charge and then the actual charge afterwards, added to the fact that it comes from a high-risk country to ends up flagging the system.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:03 am

My AMEX and Barclay AA MasterCard always process LM charges without issue. Chase always reject my LM charges even when I call beforehand to pre-authorize - which is very annoying when I have a minimum spend to meet.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Maayan
Chase always reject my LM charges even when I call beforehand to pre-authorize - ...
Now this is bad!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
How do you see that chase rejected the charge? I bought 1000 miles for 33$ and then booked an award which didn't ticket. Miles posted instantly, chase shows two authorized amounts for the 33$ and 662$ (for the ticket) on chase.com. The receipts section shows three lines with 202 numbers for the one 33$ for 1000, and two for 566 and 25$.

Email already sent to support@lm, but just want to mentally clarify what happened.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
90 minutes after emailing support the ticket was issued. Great hint in the wiki!^
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Maayan
My AMEX and Barclay AA MasterCard always process LM charges without issue. Chase always reject my LM charges even when I call beforehand to pre-authorize - which is very annoying when I have a minimum spend to meet.
Chase in Canada also does this to me. They told me no matter what I do, their computer system will reject the charge and that there's nothing they can do to override it.

These days I use AMEX despite the high FX fees because it's the only card that will consistently go through without a hitch.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by tng11
AMEX has always been good with approving my LifeMiles transactions without failure.

I've tried three different Visa/Mastercard cards in succession before, and they all end up being blocked at some point when making a LifeMiles transaction unless I call them and tell them to release the security hold. Apparently it's because they sometimes do a $1 USD charge and then the actual charge afterwards, added to the fact that it comes from a high-risk country to ends up flagging the system.
I have tried my Amex twice, in separate transactions. First time Amex said they didn't receive a request. Mastercard from citi worked both times. I guess no more point trying Amex for me.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I have tried my Amex twice, in separate transactions. First time Amex said they didn't receive a request. Mastercard from citi worked both times. I guess no more point trying Amex for me.
Once bitten twice shy?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Once bitten twice shy?
No, it didn't work both times. Twice bitten, now shy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.